BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #23
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
I have seen OEM M exhaust on sale for 3500 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160728498748...witem=&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #24
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
FYI though.... most people that owned the performance arent happy in the long run... most switch to AKRA slip on / or other exhaust
Interesting. Where is this happening, because I haven't seen anyone bitching about theirs, and people sure do feel free to bitch about exhaust systems.

Anyway, I love mine. No complaints. It's getting better with use, too.

I got it for about $900 below MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I can see guys interested in some performance gains (full system) and/or something that has race db's moving from the M Performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis
Quote:
FYI though.... most people that owned the performance arent happy in the long run... most switch to AKRA slip on / or other exhaust
Interesting. Where is this happening, because I haven't seen anyone bitching about theirs, and people sure do feel free to bitch about exhaust systems.

Anyway, I love mine. No complaints. It's getting better with use, too.

I got it for about $900 below MSRP.
Hahaha not in the forum like i said u wont see them here cause tey dont want to bad mouth an exhaust they are trying to sell....
      02-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #27
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

wow they must have recently changed it, the last time i looked at ebay, the price for the M exhaust was ~4k range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #28
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
then get it...
i'm not sure if you have seen one installed from the back it looks like 2 overgrown balls hanging...
I was torn betweeen the Akra SO (which I've seen and heard) and BMW PES (which I have not see or heard). I believe you just swayed me to Akra - - Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #29
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

I love my m performance exhaust. Quiet when it needs to be, sings when you want it to.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmag View Post
I was torn betweeen the Akra SO (which I've seen and heard) and BMW PES (which I have not see or heard). I believe you just swayed me to Akra - - Thanks!
Yea people i know with the performance exhaust regret it after hearing my AKRA SLIP ON... specially when you have an EVO
      02-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #31
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Also love my M performance exhaust .

I agree it cannot please everyone's taste, but it is prefect for me. Quiet when it needs to be, no drone, and just loud enough when you want it to be. Also love the looks of the pipes, subtle yet very nice.

A few of my buddies have more aggressive exhausts on their M3s. While I admit that they do sound great (sometimes much better than the m-peformance exhaust), I personally could not live with them on a day-to-day basis. Especially the drone some of them have .

I also have not heard of many who are unhappy with this exhaust and switched to something else. What I have heard is mostly the other way around .

I got a very reasonable price for mine as I got the dealer to swap it with the STD exhaust under warranty, so it made it even more attractive .
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-04-2012 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #32
lolhaheho
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
then get it...

LoL at this comment.

Just because you know 4 guys aren't happy with their performance exhaust doesn't represent MOST people...

This thread along already has 5 owners replied and said they love their m exhaust. Well +1, I love mine too.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #33
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I didn't like mine, and sold it. It was built nicely, but it didn't sound great. I thought the Akrapovic sounded better, and a lot less raspy. I didn't think the BMW Performance exhaust got loud enough, either.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #34
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I didn't like mine, and sold it. It was built nicely, but it didn't sound great. I thought the Akrapovic sounded better, and a lot less raspy. I didn't think the BMW Performance exhaust got loud enough, either.
You probably didn't keep it long enough. Mine has been heat cycled very well on the track and it has definitely gotten louder and opened up. I have read/heard that BMW purposely designed the exhaust to meet TUV noise regulations initially, but then get louder than that with use. Might be some sort of urban legend but again I do believe mine has changed.

I have never heard the Akra in person, but I don't find the BMW PE to be raspy. But this is the great thing and the troubling thing about buying an exhaust. They all sound different to different people. So when someone comes on here and says "What exhaust should I buy?" I always a little bit.

The other thing everyone seems to forget about this exhaust is that it is made from Iconel. Not that anyone really cares that this exotic alloy is used, not even me, but the only other Iconel exhaust that I think is on the market is offered by Eisenmann. It retails for around $7000, so by comparison, this exhaust is a bargin!

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #35
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Weren't you pairing the M Performance exhaust with Turner Test pipes? I'm glad you were one of the pioneers on doing this, saved me some money. It doesn't play well with aftermarket pipes from what I'm hearing.

Mine got noticeably louder also. Starting around 3K is where I notice the increase...still no drone.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #36
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
You probably didn't keep it long enough. Mine has been heat cycled very well on the track and it has definitely gotten louder and opened up. I have read/heard that BMW purposely designed the exhaust to meet TUV noise regulations initially, but then get louder than that with use. Might be some sort of urban legend but again I do believe mine has changed.

I have never heard the Akra in person, but I don't find the BMW PE to be raspy. But this is the great thing and the troubling thing about buying an exhaust. They all sound different to different people. So when someone comes on here and says "What exhaust should I buy?" I always a little bit.

The other thing everyone seems to forget about this exhaust is that it is made from Iconel. Not that anyone really cares that this exotic alloy is used, not even me, but the only other Iconel exhaust that I think is on the market is offered by Eisenmann. It retails for around $7000, so by comparison, this exhaust is a bargin!

I did sell the exhaust to a friend and he likes it. He's put a few thousand miles on it, so it's probably done breaking in. It did get a little bit louder, but it's still too quiet for me, with just the rear section.

I should have been more clear, it's not raspy by itself but if you do a primary or secondary cat delete even with resonators, it's pretty raspy. It is very well made, etc, I just thought that the price was too high for what you get. I'm just not a huge fan of the tone.
Appreciate 0