BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #23
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Why do you want to run a staggered setup on a square set of wheels?

In regards to TPMS they are 100% unecessary.
You won't hit a nail or anything on the track.
It's just a pointless thing to do IMHO.

If you absolutely want to run them, that is fine too. They won't cause any balancing issues.
i picked up a big bolt on a track. it punctured my tire bad. my tpms immediately went off, and i drove for another lap, thinking the tires were cold. next lap, flat as a doornail. i think they are key.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Tpms have saved me twice now from going out on track with slow leaks. I don't know why anyone would go without them.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

As I posted before, I run them and I won't do without.

Most recently, I had a slowish leak in one of my tires at the track. I noticed it on my warm-up lap and did another lap thinking it may just go away. When it didn't, I came in to the garage to find that I'd already lost 10lbs through a leak at the valve stem! I tightened it quickly, refilled my tire and was able to have a great track day. Sure, I would have eventually felt it as I was on track, but at that point I may have risked going off, damaging the wheel, or having to be towed back to the paddock.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #26
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
i picked up a big bolt on a track. it punctured my tire bad. my tpms immediately went off, and i drove for another lap, thinking the tires were cold. next lap, flat as a doornail. i think they are key.
You probably think nav is key, heated seats are key, dct is key etc
I wonder how people did before all that junk kidding kidding.

Stupid of me to assume people can tell when they have a flat by feel alone.

Anyhow, as already mentioned in this thread, when you code the TPMS off the system reverts to the prior generation (ie E46 era) monitoring system using the wheel speed/abs sensors.

So even though you have no individual wheel mounted sensors, the system will still let you know and trigger a warning light if a tire is low. Not having to mount sensors on multiple sets of wheels and still having a functional system = win win imho.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #27
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
You probably think nav is key, heated seats are key, dct is key etc
I wonder how people did before all that junk kidding kidding.

Stupid of me to assume people can tell when they have a flat by feel alone.

Anyhow, as already mentioned in this thread, when you code the TPMS off the system reverts to the prior generation (ie E46 era) monitoring system using the wheel speed/abs sensors.

So even though you have no individual wheel mounted sensors, the system will still let you know and trigger a warning light if a tire is low. Not having to mount sensors on multiple sets of wheels and still having a functional system = win win imho.

Absolutely agree. If you have access to coding, drop Tpms! I had this done a long time ago and been happy ever since. I had a low tire once since then and I got a warning. No problem here.
Appreciate 0