BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

05-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #23
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

OT here, but I have a question (I've never even touched an iPod before). When using the iPod with the USB connection, does one need to use the 1/8" audio connection as well? If not, I've read that using the iPod with USB cable has the iPod do the D/A conversion, passing an analog signal to the HU, but I didn't think a USB connection had provisions for analog sound transfer (4 pins; 2 for data and 2 for power). How does that work?
      05-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #24
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
OT here, but I have a question (I've never even touched an iPod before). When using the iPod with the USB connection, does one need to use the 1/8" audio connection as well? If not, I've read that using the iPod with USB cable has the iPod do the D/A conversion, passing an analog signal to the HU, but I didn't think a USB connection had provisions for analog sound transfer (4 pins; 2 for data and 2 for power). How does that work?
Your production date should be 09/10+ to use the white cable without the AUX jack and still have the full/correct display. Before 09/10 production the OEM iPod cable was required to have full/correct display.

Just try it and you will see what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #25
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

Like I said, I've never touched an iPod and never will so I can't try it. My question/point is, if the connection is USB only, doesn't that mean the the HU is receiving only digital data, and thus the D/A conversion is being done on the HU and not the iPod? I don't see how an analog sound signal can transfer over a USB cable. I'm sure the USB end of the iPod connector just has the 4 USB pins, 2 for power and 2 for data. Everything I've ever read about the iPod in BMW states that the iPod is doing the D/A conversion and sending analog audio to the HU, but perhaps they're talking about the 9/10 and earlier models. Just a technical thing I've wondered about.
      05-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #26
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
Like I said, I've never touched an iPod and never will so I can't try it. My question/point is, if the connection is USB only, doesn't that mean the the HU is receiving only digital data, and thus the D/A conversion is being done on the HU and not the iPod? I don't see how an analog sound signal can transfer over a USB cable. I'm sure the USB end of the iPod connector just has the 4 USB pins, 2 for power and 2 for data. Everything I've ever read about the iPod in BMW states that the iPod is doing the D/A conversion and sending analog audio to the HU, but perhaps they're talking about the 9/10 and earlier models. Just a technical thing I've wondered about.
You answered your own question.
Appreciate 0