BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

10-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #89
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
i have a scratch on the driver side back window. are these covered by the tint installer? i just started noticing it. i'm not sure where it came from. it's towards the bottom.
It depends on the installer. Mine hooked me up and redid the windows with scratches as well as installe the moleskin for me.
      10-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #90
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
I have no streaking also.
AWESOME!!!

Anyone else??
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #91
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
It depends on the installer. Mine hooked me up and redid the windows with scratches as well as installe the moleskin for me.
I wish my tint shop would do the same.

Oh well. I'll have my buddy help me install it pretty soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #92
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerjoy View Post
When going over my car this weekend I found some pretty deep scratches in the tint on all four side windows that have come when rolling the windows up and down. Tint was installed before purchase by the dealer using a Tinting company. I keep the interior impeccably clean so there is no way they can claim negligence as far as dirt goes.

Went to the dealer asking to get it corrected, dealer said, "Take it to the tinter, they will take care of you". The tinter basically told me that they had seen 3-series with this problem before, blaming the car that the rubber "seal" is too tight, and all they could do for me was to strip the tint out but not install new. They use a product from "Global". I agree with them that I see little point in just installing the same tint again, as I would likely have the same problem again.

Went back to the dealer, their reply was "We have have ONE other 3-series like that on-going right now". Were they were trying to replace the "seal", and have it re-tinted. They wanted to see the outcome of this before doing anything to my car. I think this is a reasonable approach, the only problem is that we will really not know the answer for a while.

I have had 4 cars before all with 3M tint installed had never had any problems with scratches. Basically what I want is for the dealer to step up and pay for new tint of my choosing (or at least refund what they charged for this tint). As I have never had any problems with 3M products, or heard any similar stories on this forum or from anyone I know, I have to think that this "Global Tint" simply is a cheapo product.

So basically I have a few questions to the M3 community.

1. Have any of you had the same problem?
2. If you have had no problems, please let me know the brand of your tint, and how you like it.
3. If you have had problems, please let me know that, and how it was handled.

Thanks

I have had this same problem on every BMW, Audi and Porsche i have owned. The felt on the inside of the seal loooooves to collect smalls particles of dirt. Once small particles of dirt are stuck in the felt, rolling the windows up and down sands the lines right into the tint. I put the windows all the way down and try to clean them out the best I can. I usually just have my windows retinted every 2 years. I have never found anything that 100% fixes this.

My GT-R did this as well. I tried the whole moleskin thing and it didnt help.
      10-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #93
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
I have had this same problem on every BMW, Audi and Porsche i have owned. The felt on the inside of the seal loooooves to collect smalls particles of dirt. Once small particles of dirt are stuck in the felt, rolling the windows up and down sands the lines right into the tint. I put the windows all the way down and try to clean them out the best I can. I usually just have my windows retinted every 2 years. I have never found anything that 100% fixes this.

My GT-R did this as well. I tried the whole moleskin thing and it didnt help.
Thats not very encouraging - I just ordered the moleskin from that website.
Do you think it might be an installation error with the moleskin, since (a few) others have reported good results?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #94
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It is possible that I became frustrated with my install lol.

Taking all the door panels off and back on I figured for $200 every 2 years to get new tint wasn't worth 4 hours of installing mole skin. The mole skin is thicker. My only guess is that it kept the seal tight so there was 0 gap between the window. However, my windows were already scratched when I put the mole skin on. I then had the windows re-tinted. After a year of having the mole skin, the streaks on the window did come back. Granted it took about 2 months, it still didn't solve the problem. Thus, I consider it prolonging the inevitable.

However if it seems to help your windows and really solve the problem PLEASE post up a guide or some ideas. I wish I could remove the inside seal but then there would be a nasty gap down into the door.
      10-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #95
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
i have a scratch on the driver side back window. are these covered by the tint installer? i just started noticing it. i'm not sure where it came from. it's towards the bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
It is possible that I became frustrated with my install lol.

Taking all the door panels off and back on I figured for $200 every 2 years to get new tint wasn't worth 4 hours of installing mole skin. The mole skin is thicker. My only guess is that it kept the seal tight so there was 0 gap between the window. However, my windows were already scratched when I put the mole skin on. I then had the windows re-tinted. After a year of having the mole skin, the streaks on the window did come back. Granted it took about 2 months, it still didn't solve the problem. Thus, I consider it prolonging the inevitable.

However if it seems to help your windows and really solve the problem PLEASE post up a guide or some ideas. I wish I could remove the inside seal but then there would be a nasty gap down into the door.
You don't have to take apart the whole door, just pull the top part off the tabs and the inside seal pops out. That is all that is involved. It takes 30 minutes tops to install the moleskin. I have no scratching or streaking now. Keep in mind, this only affects E90s. E92s have felt on all part of the window guide rubber.
      10-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #96
MJE M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black M3

I had to have my tint replaced as well due to scratching. My installer added the moleskins the second go-round and i have no scratching since. I have had the product on for about 6 months
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #97
///M Protocol
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I have scratches too!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #98
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 m3 07 e90 328xi

i bought the moleskin but it looks like a too much of a hassle/ big job to do. I don't think i will put it on. i just got and e90 and just got the windows tinted...have yet to roll down... are the scratches like deep and 100 percent noticeable?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #99
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Yes, unfortunately. They get worse with more use. All 4 of my tinted windows are covered with fine-to-deep scratches. Going to pull the tint shortly - at night time the light can flare pretty badly.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #100
Immy
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Space Grey

My E90 M3 should arrive this week at the dealer.
The tinter used by the dealer uses a felt.
I asked another tinting company and they said that the felt was a waste of money. In our hot summer the glue would melt eventually and it wasnt worth it.
I am considering getting the unfelted rubber seal cut off.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #101
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post
My E90 M3 should arrive this week at the dealer.
The tinter used by the dealer uses a felt.
I asked another tinting company and they said that the felt was a waste of money. In our hot summer the glue would melt eventually and it wasnt worth it.
I am considering getting the unfelted rubber seal cut off.
Don't do that. Someone here did that and they had mold and and smells coming from the door and window. The seals are there for a reason.
      10-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #102
SQ5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10 Gen 2, Tesla Plaid

Quote:
You don't have to take apart the whole door, just pull the top part off the tabs and the inside seal pops out. That is all that is involved. It takes 30 minutes tops to install the moleskin. I have no scratching or streaking now. Keep in mind, this only affects E90s. E92s have felt on all part of the window guide rubber. Get the kit here. http://www.tintprotector.com
I agree. It's an easy install. Don't be afraid. It will save you tons of hassle in the future.

Also, don't let them cut ANY seals on your car. Just install the Tint Protector felt. That's all that's needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 03:43 AM   #103
Immy
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Space Grey

I decided to let the tinter that the dealer uses, use whatever felt they normally do.

I suspect that the only tint that this dealer offers is a light tint so people dont notice scratches.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #104
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE M3 View Post
I had to have my tint replaced as well due to scratching. My installer added the moleskins the second go-round and i have no scratching since. I have had the product on for about 6 months
I think I should also mention that I have homes in Nevada and California. Im in the middle of the desert and the car ALWAYS has a fine layer of sand on it. That probably has alot to do with my windows are always getting dirt in the mole skin. Those of you on the east coast im sure wouldnt get as much. We have sand storms all the time that destroy your paint.
      10-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #105
Jlnike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 m3 07 e90 328xi

i just did the mole skin on freshly tinted windows this afternoon...the whole thing took me 2 hours i hope it works! will keep you all posted. BTW you definitely have to take the doors panels off who ever said you didn't doesn' know what he's talking about end of story!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #106
SQ5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlnike View Post
i just did the mole skin on freshly tinted windows this afternoon...the whole thing took me 2 hours i hope it works! will keep you all posted! http://www.tintprotector.com/bmw
You only have to pop them open right? You don't have to remove them. You just need to gain access to the weather strip that touches the window.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #107
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Another e90 owner here. Had windows tinted in the end of September and have now maybe a total of 4 very fine scratches in my front door window tint (both sides) (really not worth re-tinting at this point).

However, I like others here ordered the moleskin and installed it today. As already mentioned the door panels are not difficult to remove. The only thing that is not really clearly mentioned is once you have all the lower door panel clips loose the top part of the door panel should be pulled straight out toward you. For some reason the instructions say lift the panel up and out, but you just pull it straight out as the clips are pointing straight at you when you are next to the door.

Seems like a worthwhile addition to me, too bad that this has to be a mandatory modification on a $60K+ car so you don't scratch your windows.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #108
SQ5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I agree about the 60k car part. How much money do you think they save by not putting felt on the cars?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #109
BCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Good news!

I mentioned my scratched tint issue to my dealer and he told me today (via email...I bought the car in another city) that they are now replacing the window seals under warranty. I assume they've improved the part or changed the part number and that the new one won't scratch. He said that the window seals/trims are currently on back order though, but he said that I can definitely make an appointment to come in and get the window seals and tint replaced at no charge. I'm probably going to wait a few months until the trims are widely available because I'm in no hurry.

I don't know if there's actually been a service bulletin issued or what, but if you've got this issue then ask your SA!

Past BMWs: 2015 M3, 2014 550i, 2013 M3 ZCP, 2012 535i, 2011 E90 335i, 2009 E90 M3, 2008 X5, 2006 330i, 2004 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #110
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA View Post
I mentioned my scratched tint issue to my dealer and he told me today (via email...I bought the car in another city) that they are now replacing the window seals under warranty. I assume they've improved the part or changed the part number and that the new one won't scratch. He said that the window seals/trims are currently on back order though, but he said that I can definitely make an appointment to come in and get the window seals and tint replaced at no charge. I'm probably going to wait a few months until the trims are widely available because I'm in no hurry.

I don't know if there's actually been a service bulletin issued or what, but if you've got this issue then ask your SA!
Do you know what the part numbers are for each of the 4 windows? If you can get it, I think that'd help a lot of individuals.
Appreciate 0