BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

EXXEL Distributions

07-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

This is what I get for trusting a MS product....

After 2 years of owning my 360, it breaks. I expected at least 4 years hell I expected it to last until the next gen consoles came out considering my N64 and PS2 lasted that long( and are still functioning!).

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Just bad luck. Sorry bud. I am pretty sure they will fix it free of charge?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Yeah, it will be free of charge luckily. And if they try to say they can't replicate, I got photo proof now.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
b335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i

Trust Microsoft product?? ha I hope you are not a tech! PS3 ftw!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

RED RING OF DEATH!!!! 360 FTB!!! (for the ban)

ive had that twice already, once on my premium and then on my elite
id deff get the PS3 if it had more games and more people played online. and the online was better
      07-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

should've gotten the sam's club warranty....I havn't had that problem, but if I do...take it back no questions asked get a brand new one....
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by b335i View Post
Trust Microsoft product?? ha I hope you are not a tech! PS3 ftw!
I hate MS too, but 360 is a superior console to PS3, sorry to burst your bubble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post
id deff get the PS3 if it had more games and more people played online. and the online was better
Exactly. Better hardware doesn't mean shit if your online is crappy and the game selection is extremely limited. (I'd complain about lack of achievements as well but the 2.4 firmware release today just introduced trophies for new PS3 games)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
b335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i

Honestly, you can't say superior because how many consoles have been affected by the ring of death? Don't really want to get into a pissing match, I honestly am not even a gamer, just play some when I am bored and bought it for its blu-ray player as well. /end
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b335i View Post
Honestly, you can't say superior because how many consoles have been affected by the ring of death? Don't really want to get into a pissing match, I honestly am not even a gamer, just play some when I am bored and bought it for its blu-ray player as well. /end
Well to be honest failure rate isn't a part of my analysis, if it were that'd make it a though call, but abnormal operation isn't a way to rate consoles imo. BTW I have a launch system that's fine, but I do have multiple friends who's console have failed. It's par for the course though, what, you expected MS to make a reliable product that doesn't need "reinstalled"/replaced every 18 months or so? Though I must say, their devices division could teach their software division a few things.

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
How can hardware failure not be a part of an analysis model? isn't it in the province of functionality which has an impact on one's experience with the console? If it wasn't do you think MS would have issued their recall?

The 360 has a superior games library, but the PS3 is the superior console. There's nothing the 360 can do that the PS3 can't, but there are things the PS3 can do that the 360 can't such as full divx and dts support, better DLNA implementation, and one of the best bluray players on the market. They've even got ingame dashboard access, though it needs debugging for some consoles. Mine has been problem free to date, knock wook.

More AAA games, but not the better console.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #11
jaaz
CArbon BlAck
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i SAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
I hate MS too, but 360 is a superior console to PS3, sorry to burst your bubble.
      07-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I think it's a free warranty replacement if it gets the 3 RRoD...even if your warranty goes out.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bling_singh View Post
How can hardware failure not be a part of an analysis model?
Because mine's never had a problem. I own both and I'm rating purely on personal experience.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

i have both consoles...the rrod happens but o well...personally i like the 360 a whole lot more
      07-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

yeah the PS3 has - MGS4 and GT5...what else?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
yeah the PS3 has - MGS4 and GT5...what else?
Exactly. The hardware is kickass but the software is lacking still. Nobody really knows how to use the Cell yet though from what I hear. PS3's "dashboard" is better than 360's, especially now that 2.4 dropped (erm, 2.41 later this week given the 2.4 brickings) but other than that the 360 has better software.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #17
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Not exactly impressed with MS service so far. The box is scheduled to arrive tomorrow( it was wednesday when I submitted the repair order). Apple overnights you the box to send in their products back for repair. I had my iPod back in 3 days. You think for a big corporation they can afford overnight shipping......
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #18
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
don't worry, it gets even better. you won't receive your own console back. you won't get a new console with newer more reliable (10% chance of critical failure as opposed to the original 30%) architecture either. You'll get a refurbished one which may or may not be in good condition on the outside. Whether it works on the inside may come down to a cointoss. Two people I know had RROD. One's console failed on the first day, the other within the first month. Best of luck in any case. There are as many people out there who had none/one RROD and haven't seen one since, as there are people out there that have had to return multiple defective units.

the funny thing about this product recall is that it isn't really a recall. If it were, your XBox would be outfitted with newer parts that would ensure greater reliability. Microsoft opted building up a network to refurbish broken 360 that have the same blatant design flaw.

As for console defining exclusives on either console. On the market currently the PS3 currently has MGS4, Ratchet&Clank, and Uncharted (I won't include GT5P as it is a glorified demo...though it has as much value as GRiD). What console defining exclusives does the 360 have on the market currently? Halo3, Mass Effect and Gears of War....and let's throw in Lost Odyssey and Forza2 for good measure.

If the 360 outnumbers the PS3 in definitive exclusives currently by only one or two titles, that's a pretty bad state to be in considering the PS exclusives on the horizon. Gears 2 does look pretty good, and Halo 3 will most likely sell (even though it will be on PC soon enough and Gears is supposedly going multiplatform).

XBoxLive is still the better service, but that gap has been cut down quite a bit. It still maintains its uniformity, but it's not enough of a difference to warrant paying the value of one full game for it. Even then the downloadable games on PSN are absolutely top drawer stuff. XBA offers less compelling material.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #19
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
don't worry, it gets even better. you won't receive your own console back. you won't get a new console with newer more reliable (10% chance of critical failure as opposed to the original 30%) architecture either. You'll get a refurbished one which may or may not be in good condition on the outside. Whether it works on the inside may come down to a cointoss. Two people I know had RROD. One's console failed on the first day, the other within the first month. Best of luck in any case. There are as many people out there who had none/one RROD and haven't seen one since, as there are people out there that have had to return multiple defective units.
To be fair, the iPod I got back was a brand new unit( or a very well done refurb unit) and not mine. But, hey it had a 3 day turn around vs the 2-3 weeks MS says( that is outrageous concerning that they send refurb units out!).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #20
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
To be fair, the iPod I got back was a brand new unit( or a very well done refurb unit) and not mine. But, hey it had a 3 day turn around vs the 2-3 weeks MS says( that is outrageous concerning that they send refurb units out!).
oh of course it would most likely be a refurb.....but that's not a problem when the range of products doesn't have a critical flaw. There is usually a window of tolerance for poorly produced units...some are caught, some aren't until it is in the consumer's hands.Even then, when a refurb is sent out it is usually better backed product as it goes through much more rigorous testing to make sure it's up to spec.

The problem is that you can't really do that with the 360 when the problem is so pervasive and so critical. You can patch the problem as much as you want, but the critical flaw persists. Whether they're testing the refurbs before shiping out is anyone's guess.....I know someone who's refurb redringed within 5 minutes.

The critical failure of the 360 is something that warrants a recall. The problem wasn't in manufacturing, it was in design. No manufacturing process can escape that. What completely turned me off from buying the 360 were reports that MS knew about the RROD problem but decided to ship out the console anyway. If the report is false, then one must assume that MS did absolutely no testing at all. Either way they would let the marketplace sort it out, and that's a pretty disgusting business model.

Gah. Good luck with your next unit in any case man.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #21
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
oh of course it would most likely be a refurb.....but that's not a problem when the range of products doesn't have a critical flaw. There is usually a window of tolerance for poorly produced units...some are caught, some aren't until it is in the consumer's hands.Even then, when a refurb is sent out it is usually better backed product as it goes through much more rigorous testing to make sure it's up to spec.

The problem is that you can't really do that with the 360 when the problem is so pervasive and so critical. You can patch the problem as much as you want, but the critical flaw persists. Whether they're testing the refurbs before shiping out is anyone's guess.....I know someone who's refurb redringed within 5 minutes.

The critical failure of the 360 is something that warrants a recall. The problem wasn't in manufacturing, it was in design. No manufacturing process can escape that. What completely turned me off from buying the 360 were reports that MS knew about the RROD problem but decided to ship out the console anyway. If the report is false, then one must assume that MS did absolutely no testing at all. Either way they would let the marketplace sort it out, and that's a pretty disgusting business model.

Gah. Good luck with your next unit in any case man.
The thing is though with Apple, when they send you a refurb unit, they make it like new again. Replace any damage to casing, etc. But, apparently a much larger company doesn't and even though there is a better design out now, they still put the problematic parts in the refurbs and call it a day. That is disgusting and if this was the car industry, it would kill the car manufacture with all the lawsuits.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #22
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Well they shipped back my "new" 360 yesterday and UPS still doesn't have anything on it besides received billing info. POS! I am going on vacation next week.
Appreciate 0