BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Comparing BMW to Infiniti

Ok...so I finally bought my M3 about 2 weeks ago and I can't be happier. However, after spending two weeks in the seat of this beast, I have been somehow spoiled and forgot that not all BMWs are this nice.

Before purchasing my e92 ///M3, I had a 2005 G35 Coupe with the factory performance suspension and upgraded forged 19" wheels; i purchased it new and had all options except for the Nav (which I later purchased aftermarket). Additionally, I also own a 2004 FX35 and my mother owned a 2005 G35 Sedan which I drove when I went to visit her.

Over the last few weeks, the dealer loaners that I have driven have been the 328 sedan, X3 and 328 coupe; all have been 2009. I must say, that Infiniti sure has the lower end BMWs licked. Here are my impressions:

Interior

- The cheap interior in the lower-end BMWs is far inferior to the standard leather equipped in the Infinitis

- No status LCD screen on BMW, the Infiniti comes with one standard or you can upgrade to the NAV...however, all Infinitis receive the nice screen.

- The trim is about equal on both with the Infiniti having a more appealing and creative design and use of materials (i.e., brushed aluminum)

Engine

- The engines and of the aforementioned BMW models are much less powerful than the standard 3.5L VQ engine....the new 3.7L is even better.

- While the engine in the BMWs are less powerful, they feel much more refined with a smoother power curve.

Transmission

- Not much to say here except that the BMWs seem to have a smoother tranny.

Exterior

- Purely subjective but I think the BMW Sedans look better than the Infiniti sedans but the coupes are on par....a hint of class goes to the BMW but sportiness goes to the Infiniti.

Options

- The Infiniti (being a competitor) is the best bang for the buck in this class of vehicle (entry level premium market); the amount of standard options on the Infiniti are much more than those included in the BMW.

Conclusion

If your budget can only get you a bottom of the barrel Beemer, then get the Infiniti.

When it comes to the specialty cars, BMW has this win hands down..Infiniti has nothing to compete at this level (i.e., anything ///M, 6 and 7 series, Z4, Z8).

Did I say that I love my new e92...

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

What about compared to the 335?
      08-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I test drove a G37S a few months ago and it has definitely been softened way too much compared to a 2005 G35 with sports package. To me, the G37S felt heavy and somewhat sluggish and the brakes were a little better than the G35s but not as much as you may think considering they they upgraded all G37S to one-piece four piston calipers. However, if one is not a performance junkie, then the G37S is a great car..sure looks great!

I have not driven then 335 yet so I cannot compare them. However, I would suspect that the NA 3.7L engine in the G may have more low-end power than the TT 3L engine in the 335. From the reviews that I have read, the 335 barely edges out the G37S in terms of performance on the road and on track.

I assume the 335 comes well equipped from the factory and is not prone to some of the cost cutting issues I experienced on the 328 (i.e., bad leather (maybe pleather), no electric seats and basic features and instrumentation.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

I have driven both the 335i and the G37s and I think they are both fantastic. In the real world they are just as fast as each other, though the 335i is faster. You have to be a good driver to make the difference count, which I'm not by the way. Yes the 335i is quicker, yes this is a bmw biased board, but in the end you honestly can't beat infiniti in value. Out of all the lux compact/small vehicles you can buy, A4/E9x/C-class/IS, you get the most car and engine for your money at both base price and fully loaded on the G37s.

I am not a professional driver nor am I the keyboard/internet racer that most barely grown men are at my age (22). Just my personal opinion
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

You get a lot more for your money with Infiniti. I've had both brands and I have no problem saying that. I would take the 335i over the G37, but would have a hard time rationalizing the premium I'd have to pay.
      08-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Bob86GN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 F93 M8

I have to agree. I am in the process of dumping my 2006 G35 6MT sedan. It has 40,000 on the odometer and overall has been a great car. With the stick and rear wheel drive it definitely has a sporty feeling, looks good and sounds good. The standard features are good (I was surprised that Bluetooth and a garage door opener were options? on my M3). While not even a close second to the M3, I think compared to the 335i the Infiniti has a better bang for the buck. It also seems to be midway between the 3 and 5 series in overall size.
1986 Buick Grand National (10.8 @ 122mph)
1987 Buick Grand National (stockish)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Infiniti has the most overcooked interiors of any luxury car, way too full of gizmos and blue lights and tacky stuff.
      08-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
OckEME3
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 24' G80 6MT Daytona Beach Blue

I agree with the OP, my ///M3 is my first BMW and so when I got a loaner on Monday which was a brand new 335i (automatic), I was actually surprised about the quality of the interior on the 335i and the over all feel of the car. I don't want to bash on 335 owners but I don't know why people compare the 335 vs M3. I'm so glad I got my GF to drive the 335 so she could see the difference between the two cars and stop bugging me about my what she calls, over priced car. Since this is my first BMW, the M3 is completely different then the 335. If I was to choose between the infinity and the 335, I would probably got for the Infinity coupe. just my .02.

I also love my E92 M3!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

If you consider Nissan/Infiniti...they have a great line-up of reliable, powerful, and decently priced cars. The 335i is a better car than the G37 (looks, power, and prestige), but that comes at a price and it is not a reliable car. Sure with a cheap tune you can get 400+ hp, but Japanese cars usually have a much more thriving aftermarket. The GT-R is a monster, the 370z is a very fun to drive, the M35/45x's are very comfortable sedans and often overlooked, and the FX's are very nice as well.

Nissan/Infiniti have done a great Job IMO recently, and yet they are my 3rd favorite Japanese manufacturer for no tangible reason. I just don't like them.

1. Honda
2. Toyota
3. Nissan
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #10
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I just traded my 06 g35 coupe 6mt and I was honestly considering the 335i coupe b4 the m. IMO the g was a peice of crap... I barely fit in it I had to rig the drivers seat for me to fit comfortably and I am only 6 ft. My clutch went out extremely early and was not covered by warranty, and I didn't rag on the car. The paint was cheap, the engine is slow, but the car itself sounds and looks good.

My gf's 335i coupe walked all over that g and it didn't have a prayer. Her car has better leather than the loaners we get at the BMW dealership.

But... As some others I LOVE My e92 M. I love looking at it in the garage.
As far as the G37s I can't say i like the rounded look. Performance I will take others word on it.

Coupes go to the bimmers for me. (maybe not the 328, never drove one)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
TooManySilverBMWS!
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan 350z

An infiniti?.... ugh.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I test drove an Infiniti G37 Coupe S before I got my M3, and I disliked it when I first got in for a test drive. I thought Japanese vehicles were better than that.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
warzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OckEME3 View Post
I agree with the OP, my ///M3 is my first BMW and so when I got a loaner on Monday which was a brand new 335i (automatic), I was actually surprised about the quality of the interior on the 335i and the over all feel of the car. I don't want to bash on 335 owners but I don't know why people compare the 335 vs M3. I'm so glad I got my GF to drive the 335 so she could see the difference between the two cars and stop bugging me about my what she calls, over priced car. Since this is my first BMW, the M3 is completely different then the 335. If I was to choose between the infinity and the 335, I would probably got for the Infinity coupe. just my .02.
You definitely went top|down, not down|up when comparing the 335 vs M3. Like many on this forum, I use to drive a 335 coupe, and now have the M3 coupe. And like you, I noticed a complete change in the car, including the quality of the interior (obviously everyone knows the difference between the two in engine/drivetrain/etc).

I think the biggest misconception people have is that the M3 is 'just another 3'. I hear that comments alot and thought the same before I got the M3 myself. While the foundation of the car are the same as a 328 or an 335, the car is built so differently, and with a much higher grade of materials and performance features, its can stand alone as a separate entity.

Being in the M3 is a whole lot different then the stock 335 (not that the 335 isn't a great car, I loved that one as well).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OckEME3 View Post

I also love my E92 M3!
I agree....I'll probably take the loaded G37S Coupe over a 335.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #15
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
If you consider Nissan/Infiniti...they have a great line-up of reliable, powerful, and decently priced cars. The 335i is a better car than the G37 (looks, power, and prestige), but that comes at a price and it is not a reliable car. Sure with a cheap tune you can get 400+ hp, but Japanese cars usually have a much more thriving aftermarket. The GT-R is a monster, the 370z is a very fun to drive, the M35/45x's are very comfortable sedans and often overlooked, and the FX's are very nice as well.

Nissan/Infiniti have done a great Job IMO recently, and yet they are my 3rd favorite Japanese manufacturer for no tangible reason. I just don't like them.

1. Honda
2. Toyota
3. Nissan
I actually test drove an 09' 370Z Touring the other day and all I can say is WOW. The engine response was great, brakes were awesome, it cornered like a champ and the new tranny was very sweet (with rev matching). If I had had a $35k budget for another toy, the 370Z would be the one to buy.

Compared to the 350Z, it is like night and day. Much better appointed on the inside and overall more refined....I liked it! I hoping my brother pics one up so that I can work him up on how awesome his car is and then tear him up in the M3...LOL

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

OP, your review is spot on. I think other than the m class, infiniti are better car at lower price compare to regular bmw series car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I test drove an Infiniti G37 Coupe S before I got my M3, and I disliked it when I first got in for a test drive. I thought Japanese vehicles were better than that.
why would anyone cross shopping a g37 and m3 is beyond me. the m3 cost almost twice as much, so it better be good.

this proves a good point. infiniti does create attractive car hence it caused you to test drive it in the first place. btw, the g37 is a competitor of the 328, not 335 price wise. In this respect, the g wins hands down be it look, prestige, power, performance, tech, reliablity, whatever way you slice it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #18
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
OP, your review is spot on. I think other than the m class, infiniti are better car at lower price compare to regular bmw series car.
Actually, I wanted to buy the fiance a new SUV as a wedding gift and thought about matching the ///M with a small BMW SUV like the X1 or X3 but for the price, the FX35 is a much sweeter buy. In order to get into the same level of performance/style/comfort with BMW I would have to get a fully loaded X5 or higher.....which is much more $$$$$.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Actually, I wanted to buy the fiance a new SUV as a wedding gift and thought about matching the ///M with a small BMW SUV like the X1 or X3 but for the price, the FX35 is a much sweeter buy. In order to get into the same level of performance/style/comfort with BMW I would have to get a fully loaded X5 or higher.....which is much more $$$$$.

-SZ
I agree. I love the looks of the fx35 and the interior is way more modern/comfortable than the x5/x6 i've been in. I even like the ex35 too even though it is geared toward women. I'm thinking of buying either and ex or fx for my wife since she afraid to drive my m. she said the m is too complicated and uncomfortable for her.

I like the x6 design alot, but the interior and tech needs improvement compare to the infiniti. the seat in the x5/x6 is pretty much the same as one in a 3 series. common bwm.

don't care about the x5 look at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree. I love the looks of the fx35 and the interior is way more modern/comfortable than the x5/x6 i've been in. I even like the ex35 too even though it is geared toward women. I'm thinking of buying either and ex or fx for my wife since she afraid to drive my m. she said the m is too complicated and uncomfortable for her.
My fiance saw the EX35 on the road yesterday...she loved it. She currently drives a RAV4 so she definitely wants a small SUV. The new Audi Q5 is really nice as well.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #21
graider
Colonel
Rep

i would stay away from audi as they are not reliable even under warranty. Nothing is worse than waiting a few days in the dealer or hours on the highway for a tow truck in a brand spanking new car.

For us men who want performance car like m or 911, then a little unreliable is acceptable because we don't mind spending time in the shop talking to the mechanic and we atleast know whatsup with the car. But for an SUV which most women tend to buy, reliability and drivability are keys.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #22
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i would stay away from audi as they are not reliable even under warranty. Nothing is worse than waiting a few days in the dealer or hours on the highway for a tow truck in a brand spanking new car.

For us men who want performance car like m or 911, then a little unreliable is acceptable because we don't mind spending time in the shop talking to the mechanic and we atleast know whatsup with the car. But for an SUV which most women tend to buy, reliability and drivability are keys.
Good point.
Appreciate 0