BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

06-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
m3gasm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09'M3, 16'M3, 11'550i, 17'X5

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Help removing full exhaust (COMPLETED) Video Results

Hi everyone, I'm going to be doing a Primary and secondary cat delete.

I've only found DIY for secondary cat delete. And i can't seem to find how to drop the full exhaust off the car. It's just me doing it with normal jack and jack stands in my garage and i don't want to get into something that i can't finish. Can anyone tell me how to remove the full exhaust? I know how to do the muffler as i have the oem mod. But I need help removing the rest of the exhaust.

If it's already out there, a link would be great. Also the tools required would be even better.

Thanks!

See below for results video!
2017 X5 35i. STOCK, boring, and sold!

Last edited by m3gasm; 06-24-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

No need to pull full exhaust. Just mid pipe. There should be DIY for x-pipe if you search.

Pull trans cover. Pull front aluminum plate or at least loosen it up to give more clearance at header to midpipe connection. Disconnect all 4 02. Do not twist up the wires and remove 02. Disconnect the harnesses. On the front harness on one side you will have to remove a little cover to access the connector.

Disconnect rear band clamps.

Disconnect header to midpipe. Hard to get inverted torx fitting in there. You will have to be patient. A flex head 10 mm ratcheting wrench can work. Beware there is a fiber cone gasket on the end of the header (or maybe stuck to the midpipe flange that you will have to replace if you break it).

Before totally removing front connections, go to the rear and put a jack stand or block of wood or other support under that end that you can later push out of the way with your feet. Then undo the middle support. It will stay stuck to the x pipe and that is fine.

Then go back to the front and fully disconnect and wiggle the x pipe off the headers. As you hold it, push your rear support out of the way and lower x pipe to the ground and pull it out from under the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Good luck bro hope u get it done
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
m3gasm
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
No need to pull full exhaust. Just mid pipe. There should be DIY for x-pipe if you search.

Pull trans cover. Pull front aluminum plate or at least loosen it up to give more clearance at header to midpipe connection. Disconnect all 4 02. Do not twist up the wires and remove 02. Disconnect the harnesses. On the front harness on one side you will have to remove a little cover to access the connector.

Disconnect rear band clamps.

Disconnect header to midpipe. Hard to get inverted torx fitting in there. You will have to be patient. A flex head 10 mm ratcheting wrench can work. Beware there is a fiber cone gasket on the end of the header (or maybe stuck to the midpipe flange that you will have to replace if you break it).

Before totally removing front connections, go to the rear and put a jack stand or block of wood or other support under that end that you can later push out of the way with your feet. Then undo the middle support. It will stay stuck to the x pipe and that is fine.

Then go back to the front and fully disconnect and wiggle the x pipe off the headers. As you hold it, push your rear support out of the way and lower x pipe to the ground and pull it out from under the car.

Thank you so much for your help. I'll try and tackle it today. I really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3gasm View Post
Thank you so much for your help. I'll try and tackle it today. I really appreciate it!
Here's a video if you need any additional guidance. It helped me a lot.

Appreciate 1
jvictormp879.50
      06-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
m3gasm
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3gasm View Post
Hi everyone, I'm going to be doing a Primary and secondary cat delete.

I've only found DIY for secondary cat delete. And i can't seem to find how to drop the full exhaust off the car. It's just me doing it with normal jack and jack stands in my garage and i don't want to get into something that i can't finish. Can anyone tell me how to remove the full exhaust? I know how to do the muffler as i have the oem mod. But I need help removing the rest of the exhaust.

If it's already out there, a link would be great. Also the tools required would be even better.

Thanks!
I finished thanks to the help.

Here is a video of the results.
[u2b]
[/u2b]
Appreciate 1
jvictormp879.50