BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

08-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Nubzub
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Mmm.. Yeh Mmms.

EPA Noise Test

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?
I've got an Akra Evo setup on my e92 and received the letter just today.

Either the spotter is retarded or something, because M3s do not emit the same sounds as a 320i, and I'm sure Akra ain't much louder than stock.

Not to mention, my previous Z4M with ACS exhaust was actually louder and it never caused an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
What are you talking about ... what test, from whom and what the relation to a 320 is?
      08-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
ole85
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/ Ferrari360

let us know if you pass the test
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Nubzub
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3
What are you talking about ... what test, from whom and what the relation to a 320 is?
Lol. Lost in the morning ey? EPA noise test. Where the gov deems
Your exhaust noise is too loud and u gotta get it tested.

Relation to 320i is gov noobs should look at the model of the car before issuing notices. U can't expect M cars to be quiet. Much like AMGs and exotics...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
rayz
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 323

Think it's regardless what car make it is? If the exhaust noise is >95db iirc, they'll get you for that (and we know the cars like the c63 amg's are not quiet cars on WOT so not sure how they even rollout of the dealers)

Do you have the wireless flap controller on your Akra? Just keep it closed and you should get through?

Sucks that EPA is spotting and issuing notices. Not good news for me when I'm planning to put on the BMWPE for my ride

Let us know how you go.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
ole85
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

do akras have the flap
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayz View Post
Think it's regardless what car make it is? If the exhaust noise is >95db iirc, they'll get you for that (and we know the cars like the c63 amg's are not quiet cars on WOT so not sure how they even rollout of the dealers)

Do you have the wireless flap controller on your Akra? Just keep it closed and you should get through?

Sucks that EPA is spotting and issuing notices. Not good news for me when I'm planning to put on the BMWPE for my ride

Let us know how you go.
Legal limit is 90db for cars post '83 chief.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
rayz
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayz View Post

Let us know how you go.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
Nubzub
Private
Australia
Rep

90? Akra probably over that. And no, don't have flap.

Shot an email to SouthernBM see if they know anything. Stupid really as there are a number of Akra owners around....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubzub View Post
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?
I've got an Akra Evo setup on my e92 and received the letter just today.

Either the spotter is retarded or something, because M3s do not emit the same sounds as a 320i, and I'm sure Akra ain't much louder than stock.

Not to mention, my previous Z4M with ACS exhaust was actually louder and it never caused an issue.
Is this a VIC thing? What a PITA, akra is pretty tame too, but prob just over the limit at WOT. Without being a smart ass, can you write to them and contest it based on an incorrect report?

A heap of cars would be over the legal limit straight off the showroom floor....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #11
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Its normally measured as a drive by volume at a certain pre-determined speed, not WOT!
      08-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #12
Nubzub
Private
Australia
Rep

Sounds like none of you fellas ever had this issue before?! Why I get to be the unlucky one
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
ole85
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

what area in victoria are your from
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
Nubzub
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole85
what area in victoria are your from
North Melbourne
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
ole85
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

i feel for you. is it a full epa test do you know because thats when they go through everything like all mods
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Been EPA'd for my WRX. Took it to any VACC certified exhaust shop for testing at like 5k RPM at a set distance I think around 1.5m

Akra would probably be on that limit for the slip-ons anyway. I'm going to get a dB meter so can measure mine when it's fitted

*Note this does not count if you get sent to Macloud for the full emissions testing. Mine was reported by an officer who 'observed' it to be too loud.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
MLOREY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

Why don't u get the db metre app for your iPhone and get someone to WOT your car to check
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Totti is spot on with the level, it is 90dB. Eisenmann are the only company that publish sound pressure levels and they are:
Eisenmannn SPORT Version for the BMW M3 (e92):
Decibels (stationary vehicle): 92 dB at 6,225 RPM
Eisenmann RACE Version for the BMW M3 (e92):
Decibels (stationary vehicle): 102 dB at 6,225 RPM
Even the sport which is quite tame is well over the legal limit. The rule of thumb is if it sounds good it’s illegal, if it tastes good its fattening or bad for your liver.
The Akrapovic is substantially louder than the Eisenmann sport and will probably test around 95dB, but the problems don’t end there. Any system that is a full replacement system has high flow or no cats. The Akra Evo has 100 cpsi (cells per square inch) cats, stock is around 600-700cpsi. This means it will also fail emissions test and why you get CEL if you don’t install a delete-R or get a tune.
Bottom line is that virtually any aftermarket system will fail noise levels and if a full system replacing the OEM cats will fail emissions.
So if it’s a fine just pay and be glad, if you are going to be called in for a full inspection I would fit the stock system first and get it tested, then revert back to your Akra and hope it doesn’t happen again
We all love our exhaust systems and they make a huge difference to the driving pleasure of the car but if you live in a nanny state that’s what happens. We have roadside inspections here and if you get hauled in to one of those it would be a defect notice, although they usually save their harassment for young guys driving skylines or similar.
By the way, sound pressure level apps on phones, they don't work as the microphone on your phone can't measure the high levels. You have to spend a lot of money on a dB meter and set up properly to prove what you already know
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Tomislav
Panty Schtuffer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
1997 BMW 323i  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [8.00]
I got one in my E36 the day I was driving around just before Dutton Rally one year. Just took it to the Spotswood exhaust place, got tested, passed and went on my way.
.: 1994 E36 M3 3.0 - 19" BBS LM Reps, Bilsteins :.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #20
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
This is the first I've heard. Nothing of that sort in the wild west.

Having said that, how do cars like the Fezas and the Lambos comply with ADR? You can hear these cars miles away with their stock standard exhausts, which means none of these cars can bve sold in Australia. I think this is another Vic government money making scam.

Correct me here, I've heard that you can't own personal plats in NSW or Vic, you can only lease them. In WA, the personal plates are register to you, and if you want you can on sell them.

In that case 90 poer cent of the motor bikes should not be on the road ... they are so ..... loud.
      08-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
Nubzub
Private
Australia
Rep

Was gonna it tested today, but it's raining so they can't test under those conditions.
I'm going to revert back to stock for the test. Was testing with an iPhone app according to the ADR specs - idle was at 80dbs and at 4000 rpms, it was sitting around 92db. Given the inaccuracy of iPhone apps, an actual test would pull higher.

Re: Exotics and even AMG - apparently if it comes out of the factory loud, then EPA can't fine you for it. Was told this by one of the licensed testers - AMGs come out loud, and their limit is 105 for EPA purposes.....

Double standards much?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #22
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubzub View Post
Was gonna it tested today, but it's raining so they can't test under those conditions.
I'm going to revert back to stock for the test. Was testing with an iPhone app according to the ADR specs - idle was at 80dbs and at 4000 rpms, it was sitting around 92db. Given the inaccuracy of iPhone apps, an actual test would pull higher.

Re: Exotics and even AMG - apparently if it comes out of the factory loud, then EPA can't fine you for it. Was told this by one of the licensed testers - AMGs come out loud, and their limit is 105 for EPA purposes.....

Double standards much?
It seems you might have to invest in a hoist. What an outrage, just because of a few problems with hoons everyone gets targeted. If you really need to find out your dB levels, you can always visit a Jaycar store and try out a higher end dB meter. The guys in those stores are pretty good and won't mind demonstrating one.

I tested an Akra when I had one on my car and I think it was 95-96dB at 5K RPM so your decision is very wise to do a temporary swap and it may avoid a further test if you get pinged in future.

Good luck and let is all know the outcome.
Appreciate 0