BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

02-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
DrJay71
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 (E92) Jerez Black

2011 E92 M3 without iDrive, Bluetooth, etc. What are my options?

Hello there.

I am a new M3 owner. I have a 2011 E92 without iDrive, Nav, or Bluetooth. Heck I don't even have Homelink to control my garage doors.

I wish the previous owner had ponied up the money to get these but oh well. In my center console, all I have is an AUX input, NO USB. I have figured out how to listen to my iPod but it is such a pain, not to mention dangerous, to reach back and flip through songs, playlists, etc. I really want to be able control my iPod with the steering wheel or at least buttons on the radio. I would also like Bluetooth and Homelink capability. Navigation would be nice but not a must. I have a iPhone 4S and an iPod classic. I need my phone with me at all times but can leave the iPod in the car.

I am willing to pay almost anything to have these (within reason).

Do you guys have ANY suggestions?!

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJay71 View Post
Hello there.

I am a new M3 owner. I have a 2011 E92 without iDrive, Nav, or Bluetooth. Heck I don't even have Homelink to control my garage doors.

I wish the previous owner had ponied up the money to get these but oh well. In my center console, all I have is an AUX input, NO USB. I have figured out how to listen to my iPod but it is such a pain, not to mention dangerous, to reach back and flip through songs, playlists, etc. I really want to be able control my iPod with the steering wheel or at least buttons on the radio. I would also like Bluetooth and Homelink capability. Navigation would be nice but not a must. I have a iPhone 4S and an iPod classic. I need my phone with me at all times but can leave the iPod in the car.

I am willing to pay almost anything to have these (within reason).
Do you guys have ANY suggestions?!

Please help!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642648
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
DrJay71
United_States
Rep

Thanks.

Yes, I saw this. Even contacted Patryk. I was hoping there was a less expensive aftermarket option.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJay71 View Post
Thanks.

Yes, I saw this. Even contacted Patryk. I was hoping there was a less expensive aftermarket option.
That's not BimmerTech (Patryk), that was BimmerRetrofit.

No other vendor outside this forum will offer you a full iDrive and Combox retrofit (all OEM parts, plus coding and all required updates) the way forum vendors will provide to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
DrJay71
United_States
Rep

My bad. Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
abstruse1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 6-spd., sport pkg.

Hmmm...I'm in Dallas and in the same boat. Well, car.

I guess there are two ways to fit a double-DIN in these cars: move the climate controls down, thus creating the double-DIN space above it; or changing the dash top as in the link.

The first method seems to work well and has been done a lot. I was about to go that way (until I found this thread), my only concern being whether the BMW's electronics would be compatible with aftermarket head units (satellite, Bluetooth, Nav, etc.).

I'll now investigate the up-top method shown in the link and decide which way to go. Sounds like Patryk (?) would know about the electronic compatibility issue.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstruse1 View Post
Hmmm...I'm in Dallas and in the same boat. Well, car.

I guess there are two ways to fit a double-DIN in these cars: move the climate controls down, thus creating the double-DIN space above it; or changing the dash top as in the link.

The first method seems to work well and has been done a lot. I was about to go that way (until I found this thread), my only concern being whether the BMW's electronics would be compatible with aftermarket head units (satellite, Bluetooth, Nav, etc.).

I'll now investigate the up-top method shown in the link and decide which way to go. Sounds like Patryk (?) would know about the electronic compatibility issue.

Stay tuned.
Hmm...I can't agree with you there. You almost never see an aftermarket radio in these cars. At least on this side of the forum.
Appreciate 0