BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Clunk from front end after installing Camber Plates

Over the past few weeks I put Turner street camber plates on my car. Now I notice a clunk when I near full lock (both left and right). I only notice it at low speeds or when stationary and when I turn the wheel fairly quickly (so I can't 'sneak up' on the spot where it makes the noise).

I also put on spacers, but I don't notice any rubbing. And I feel a little 'bump' thru the steering so I don't think it's from the tire hitting the fender well.

I don't notice any oddities when driving. The alignment is out of whack because I haven't had it in the shop yet. I just wanted to make sure it doesn't sound like something is installed wrong?

My guess is it's either just what the plates do or it's the springs settling out after having the suspension off the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

That's a lot of issues st once. Trouble shoot one at a time.they could be related
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
dmw16
Captain
Rep

What are the other issues? The only one is the clunk.

The pulling is a bad alignment because I had the suspension all apart.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

The noise could be coming from the sway bar end links or sway bar mounts. I'd also check the torque on the damper shaft nut - if this is loose it might cause a "clanking" noise when you turn the steering wheel because the damper shaft may be moving up-down inside the camber/caster plate.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD
The noise could be coming from the sway bar end links or sway bar mounts. I'd also check the torque on the damper shaft nut - if this is loose it might cause a "clanking" noise when you turn the steering wheel because the damper shaft may be moving up-down inside the camber/caster plate.
Good ideas. Thanks. Do you know the torque on the strut nuts? The sway links should be tight but I'll recheck.
Appreciate 0