BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

02-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #67
RoundTwo
Riff Raff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 8 spd bicycle

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2004 325Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft View Post
It's sLaMMeD or nothing !

OH YA SLAMMED YAH

BURGERS FOR DA BOYS YAH
      02-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #68
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

i personally dont like drops cuz when i hit them speed bumps and scratch my car, i get a sinking feeling in my stomach, even when i do it to my camry. imagine how i would feel if i did it to p car or m car?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #69
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
+1. Eibachs here with a front lip and no scraping or white knuckle moments.
+2

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #70
Dustin@AEp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I'd slam a GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #71
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokies2011 View Post
OH YA SLAMMED YAH

BURGERS FOR DA BOYS YAH
What??
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #72
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

I am stock. M3 isnt too bad at stock it looks real nice. The C63 Coupe has way too much gap and the rear fender is way lower than the front.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #73
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@AEperformance View Post
I'd slam a GT3
Haha hell yeah!
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #74
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post
It seems there is a bit of an obsession on this forum with dropping the M3. Everytime pictures are posted of a car that isn't riding on the bump stops there are multiple posts that say, 'needs a drop'.

I'm starting to believe I may be the only forum member with a stock suspension.

For the few of us who have a stock setup, I thought I would share some reasons why the M3 does not 'need' a drop and some owners are choosing not to drop:

1) The M3 is already pretty low compared to most cars, I'm not sure why there is an obsession with having no gap between the tire and the fender.

2) The appeal of the M3 to me is that it is a very capable car that can be used as a daily driver. If dropped, a number of clearance issues come up in daily driving - parking curbs, speed bumps, slanted driveways etc...

3) To add on to #2, if you live in a state that gets snow, clearance is a key variable. I can't imagine navigating a Minnesota winter with a dropped car.

4) A drop impacts ride quality. If I wanted a stiff ride and no clearance I'd buy a GT3

5) I think there is a valid argument that BMW did a nice job engineering the suspension for the M3. Not sure why I would want to potentially upset the balance by throwing in aftermarket springs (comment doesn't apply to coil over)

The intention of the post isn't to judge the members with a drop. I'm just providing some reasoning why some M3 owners don't 'need' a drop.

Stock suspension rocks

Flame suit is on.
REGARDLESS of what people may claim, I guarantee that the number one reason people drop their cars is for looks. Especially on a car like the M3, where the suspension is really so perfectly tuned and designed from the factory.

A dropped car looks more like a race car, and our human brains seem to like that for whatever reason. What makes a visually appealing ride height is purely a matter of personal taste.

To my eyes, even my ZCP M3 has a little too much front fender gap. By comparison, my wife's Audi A4 S-line has about 3/4" less fender gap on a stock suspension and my previous Audi RS4 had about 3/4" less fender gap also. The RS4 had a stock front fender height of 27" and rode on 255/35/19's. My M3 has a front fender height of 27.5" on its 245/35/19's.

That said, the one thing I have absolutely no intention of modifying on this car is the suspension. I have done that for years and years on multiple cars and there has always been some issue. The only set-up I've had that was truly issue-free was the NISMO suspension on my old 350Z, but then, that was a Nissan performance part specifically built for the Z.

People have also mentioned spacers. Keep in mind that if you add spacers, it will actually make your car look like it has MORE fender gap, just like going from 18 to 19" wheels.

Best thing to do IMO is to go from 245/265 tire set up to a 255/275 tire set up. That will bring the tire edge up and out just a touch without giving any clearance or fitment problems whatsoever.

Last edited by LarThaL; 07-09-2011 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #75
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

Me personally I just bought the car so I still love the stock look but I want to drop the car on eibach springs. I also wanted to put a lip on but it is DD so don't want to make my life harder because I'm already worried what will happen to the car with the drop and the lip but it just looks so aggressive!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #76
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Lowering springs are for Civics. If you truly want to improve handling you need to step up to a nice set of adjustable coilovers.

I don't understand the desire to ruin a $60,000 car by slamming it with $200 lowering springs. I'm sorry, but you do not know better than the engineers who designed the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #77
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
Lowering springs are for Civics. If you truly want to improve handling you need to step up to a nice set of adjustable coilovers.

I don't understand the desire to ruin a $60,000 car by slamming it with $200 lowering springs. I'm sorry, but you do not know better than the engineers who designed the car.
Exactly how are you ruining a car by putting springs on it? And exactly how are you slamming a car with springs? I don't see any "slammed" cars on springs. I see some lowered cars, but "slammed" cars? No. Perhaps you could explain then, why the ZCP suspension is lower than regular M3 suspension? could it possibly be because lowering a car means lowering the center of gravity, which translates to better cornering speeds?

With that being said. Most people that have lowered cars do it for looks, and I find it quite fine, simply because most of the M3's on the street never see track time, and most drivers can't take their cars to the limits where a car on springs or on stock suspension will make much of a difference. And still yet, you can purchase coilovers, lower your car, corner balance it, adjust the suspension with proper spring and spring rates and attain better cornering speeds than a stock M3.

Just my two cents.
      07-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #78
dexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 LGT w/AVO380, '11 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm3k View Post
Exactly how are you ruining a car by putting springs on it?
Because: 1. The parts are crap. 2. You are Doing It wrong(tm).

We can't really know about 1 because well the aftermarket vendors run every one of these forums. As for 2, well, you are unless you are a multidisciplined engineer willing to dedicate a lot of effort into Getting It Right(tm).

Even something as simple as spacers - ruin the scrub radius and overload the bearings. Not to mention potential rubbing situations.
      07-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #79
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
Because: 1. The parts are crap. 2. You are Doing It wrong(tm).

We can't really know about 1 because well the aftermarket vendors run every one of these forums. As for 2, well, you are unless you are a multidisciplined engineer willing to dedicate a lot of effort into Getting It Right(tm).

Even something as simple as spacers - ruin the scrub radius and overload the bearings. Not to mention potential rubbing situations.
1. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the parts are crap. H&R suspension has been around for years, and they are reputable. So are many of the springs offered for these cars. Given, some are better than others.

2. I didn't quite catch "you're doing it wrong (tm)". Yes, the stock dampers are not made to work with aftermarket springs, but I don't think anyone is "ruining" anything. Could you take a couple thousand miles of life away from the stock dampers? Yes, possibly, but if you choose a good set of springs with possibly a decent spring rate, they could both work harmonically without an issue. Yes, suspension travel will change, so will center of gravity and the positioning of controls arms, etc, but I believe the change is so marginal most M3 owners won't ever take the car to the limits where it'll really make a difference.
      07-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #80
dexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 LGT w/AVO380, '11 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm3k View Post
2. I didn't quite catch "you're doing it wrong (tm)"..
Being aware of what you do not know is more important that knowing what you do know.

Yes ignorance is bliss. Just springs. Slap em on. Awesome. Vendor X making springs for 45 years, must be awesome. Yup.
      07-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #81
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
Spacers change the scrub radius, they don't "ruin" it. Likewise, they certainly will increase load on the bearings, just like most aftermarket wheels, but also will not "overload" them. You shouldn't have rubbing issues if you do your homework.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #82
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post
It seems there is a bit of an obsession on this forum with dropping the M3. Everytime pictures are posted of a car that isn't riding on the bump stops there are multiple posts that say, 'needs a drop'.

I'm starting to believe I may be the only forum member with a stock suspension.

For the few of us who have a stock setup, I thought I would share some reasons why the M3 does not 'need' a drop and some owners are choosing not to drop:

1) The M3 is already pretty low compared to most cars, I'm not sure why there is an obsession with having no gap between the tire and the fender.

2) The appeal of the M3 to me is that it is a very capable car that can be used as a daily driver. If dropped, a number of clearance issues come up in daily driving - parking curbs, speed bumps, slanted driveways etc...

3) To add on to #2, if you live in a state that gets snow, clearance is a key variable. I can't imagine navigating a Minnesota winter with a dropped car.

4) A drop impacts ride quality. If I wanted a stiff ride and no clearance I'd buy a GT3

5) I think there is a valid argument that BMW did a nice job engineering the suspension for the M3. Not sure why I would want to potentially upset the balance by throwing in aftermarket springs (comment doesn't apply to coil over)

The intention of the post isn't to judge the members with a drop. I'm just providing some reasoning why some M3 owners don't 'need' a drop.

Stock suspension rocks

Flame suit is on.
I love the stock suspension - it's a great setup for Pittsburgh which has very demanding roads and conditions. It is also very predictable and communicative; even for a novice.

However, I can appreciate the aesthetics of why people want to lower the car. On the other hand, has anyone ever noticed that with two adults in the front, the car basically looks perfect in terms of ride height? I don't want to mod my suspension for pictures

I do find the phrase "needs a drop" rather annoying, but I support freedom of modding

Last edited by Singletrack; 07-20-2011 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #83
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Guys who usually install lowering springs do it just for looks looks (aesthetics) with a SLIGHT improvement in handling when compared to stock springs. I said slight improvement over stock when it comes to handling since car's center of gravity will be lowered.

We are ONLY talking about springs here. Coilovers is another story...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #84
pillpopper
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I thought about lowering just a hair but I couldn't do it not to this beauty. I figure I'm 30 years old now time to act like it. If I wanted a ricer I'd be on the Honda/Acura/3 series forum LMAO!
      07-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #85
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

your not the only one stock i have changed a lot of things on my car but on i havent messed with is the suspension. i agree the lowered, not slammed look with a lip looks very good but im worried about making a mistake and not liking the result and as i already think it sits pretty nice as is no change for me. pillpopper you a pharmacist by chance?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #86
Asiarush
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 488 GTB

I think that if you get good suspension like dinan which doesnt drop the car by much, you get a better look along with a very good suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #87
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

My family wouldn't ride in it without a drop -

Last edited by Moxie; 08-19-2011 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: "out"
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #88
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

H&R coilovers. Rides close enough to stock to where the family doesn't mind at all. (they can hardly tell!)
Attached Images

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0