BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

06-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Didn't get Enhanced Premium Audio

Picked up a new 2010 E92 M3 yesterday that the dealer was anxious to move. Got a good deal but car doesn't have premium sound. My last cat Z4M had the premium, but I thought I'd take a chance on this.

Well after a day and a half, something must be done. I can barely hear it at highway speeds with the windows down, and that's the way I prefer to roll, no A/C/ I doubt the premium audio can be retofitted so I think I need to visit an aftermarket installer.

I've read several threads regarding the standard audio and most say 6 speakers but I've found 8 in my car. 2 front tweets, 2 front doors, 2 subs under front seats, 2 rears on the sides.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I have 10 speakers. Tweet and mid in each door (4) tweet and mid in the back on each side (another 4 making 8) and 2 subs = total of 10 speakers. I believe the later models (2010?) loose two speakers.

But you're right, the standard audio does not have enough power at highway speeds with the window down. I plan on upgrading the amp (bypassing it actually) at some point after I get the HiFi wiring harness from Technic (after he gets it ready). Later the speakers will be replaced, starting with the subs. Almost any aftermarket amp would be an improvement. I'm thinking Alpine PDX-5. It's fairly cheap.

I like to keep the windows down when it's under 90 degrees. But then it's the sound of the engine I really want to listen to and that too is not loud enough. So, audio upgrade or exhaust? Hmm, what to do?

Cheers.

Last edited by ersin; 06-28-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Easiest option is to upgrade the OEM amp for something with balls.

Then the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 03:53 AM   #4
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
The High End Sound System is an amazing system without a doubt but you're better of going aftermarket, you'll save a lot of money and I'm not even sure that it's possible to add the OEM High End Sound System.

Even though I have it and have it tuned to Pencil Geek's EQ settings - I find myself listening to the engine a whole lot more than anything!

Windows down, summer nights here in Southern Cal, nothing like that V8 roaring through the streets and I'm only 150 miles into it!

The BEST audio system in this car is that S65, 8400 rpm, high-revving V8 - no doubt about it!
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

I don't know if it's just me, but I've searched far and wide for stereo upgrade options for a base system for the M3. I want to upgrade the speakers AND amplify them. How would I do this? All the DIYs I've seen simply add an amp to the existing OEM one and add a sub. It gives no option to amp speakers (I assume you'd have to rewire everything from your new amp to the speakers?).

Is there a harness that is readily available that can allow me to do this? Something like:

Current:
Headunit to OEM amp
OEM amp to OEM speakers

Desired:
Headunit to OEM amp
OEM amp to aftermarket amp via some aftermarket harness
Aftermarket harness somehow connects to OEM speaker lines
OEM speaker lines to go new aftermarket speakers

07-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but I've searched far and wide for stereo upgrade options for a base system for the M3. I want to upgrade the speakers AND amplify them. How would I do this? All the DIYs I've seen simply add an amp to the existing OEM one and add a sub. It gives no option to amp speakers (I assume you'd have to rewire everything from your new amp to the speakers?).

Is there a harness that is readily available that can allow me to do this? Something like:

Current:
Headunit to OEM amp
OEM amp to OEM speakers

Desired:
Headunit to OEM amp

Technic is supposedly coming out with a harness. Speakers in the M3 have three holes to mount it whereas most aftermarket speakers have four. You'll need an adapter. They're available, just search. So, I'm betting (hoping) that with Technic's harness and speaker mounting adapters we'll be all set for amp and speaker upgrade. Should be no problem. :crossfingers:

Cheers.
      07-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post

Current:
Headunit to OEM amp
OEM amp to OEM speakers

Desired:
Headunit to OEM amp

I think I have an idea where you can get some speaker adapters. PM Technic for the harness.
      07-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabman5 View Post
Picked up a new 2010 E92 M3 yesterday that the dealer was anxious to move. Got a good deal but car doesn't have premium sound. My last cat Z4M had the premium, but I thought I'd take a chance on this.

Well after a day and a half, something must be done. I can barely hear it at highway speeds with the windows down, and that's the way I prefer to roll, no A/C/ I doubt the premium audio can be retofitted so I think I need to visit an aftermarket installer.

I've read several threads regarding the standard audio and most say 6 speakers but I've found 8 in my car. 2 front tweets, 2 front doors, 2 subs under front seats, 2 rears on the sides.

Any suggestions?
There are a lot of good aftermarket installs that are documented in this forum. Do a search and you'll find some good info. Here's a start

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=audio+upgrade

This is Technic's upgrade which is an Enhanced Premium system upgrade so it doesn't directly apply to your but it still gives you good ideas

07-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
henryyxyu
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: YXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

The BEST audio system in this car is that S65, 8400 rpm, high-revving V8 - no doubt about it!
Thats what I listen too every time I drive! Much better than listening to those Justin Bieber songs on the radio

IMO, just get an exhaust system. It'll be the only soundtrack you'll never get bored of lol
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I think I have an idea where you can get some speaker adapters. PM Technic for the harness.
your speaker adaptors are awesome by the way... worked for both the esotar 430s and the esotar 110s in the stock mids location.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabman5 View Post

Any suggestions?
really? i didnt get it either and i think the sterio is great! i wasnt paying 2grand for a little better audio. no thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
your speaker adaptors are awesome by the way... worked for both the esotar 430s and the esotar 110s in the stock mids location.
Esotars I didn't realize it would work with those. I always thought the 430 had a funky cutout.
      04-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
wavesofsilver
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible 2011

I just bought an M3 convertible, 2011 with standard stereo and no Nav
I need a comprehensive list for the configuration of the stereo upgrade, if possible with ballpark prices:
1) Harness from Technics
2) Speaker adapter plates from M808guy
3) Speakers? It seems that the 4" has issues of space...
4) Subs under front seats? SWS?
5) Amp? What are the space and air circulation limitations in the trunk floor?
6) Tweeter grills for front mirror covers? Source?
Anything else I am forgetting? I prefer to keep an OEM look. I also would like a recommendation on an installer in Austin. My budget is flexible around $2k+. My plan is to start getting some of the stuff.
Thank you
Appreciate 0