BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #23
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Cop Engine, Cop brakes....yeah it's fast!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #24
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
It did look similar to a G8 to me. That's what I thought it was at first; rebadged G8. It would only make sense. That was one of Pontiac's best cars!
Both the G8 and Caprice are Holden's. G8 being the Commodore and Caprice being the Statesmen.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #25
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Yep, and these new cars will likely have HIDs, or projectors at the very least. Right now if you see a car with either one of those, you can be pretty certain it's not a cop.

We're loosing that advantage.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 04:53 AM   #26
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
Only if you want to go to jail.
+1....

LMAO...... LUV to read funny posts...

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #27
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
welp, now i have to re-master recognizing police headlights and taillights at night
Yeah that's the bitch of it.... Have to reprogram the headlight/taillight database in my head....

Honestly though, you better have a damn good reason to run, or be in a rural area.... I'm not worried about out running the car itself; it's that damn radio.... Or, if you're really lucky, eventually a bird.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #28
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Just because they have them with the larger more expensive V8s doesn't mean that the police are going to purchase them that way. When I was living in MA they had plenty of Charger cop cars, none of them had the Hemi. I pulled over on a side road where a cop was sitting in one and asked him if he had the Hemi and he just frowned and said only the chief had one.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #29
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Just because they have them with the larger more expensive V8s doesn't mean that the police are going to purchase them that way. When I was living in MA they had plenty of Charger cop cars, none of them had the Hemi. I pulled over on a side road where a cop was sitting in one and asked him if he had the Hemi and he just frowned and said only the chief had one.

Really? FL had lots of Hemi Chargers running around. IN doesn't use them too much at all, so I haven't really noticed whether they're using the V8s or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #30
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Some info on another interceptor...

You'll be seeing these in the future as well.

http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.c...terceptor.html
Quote:
The Ford Crown Victoria police car, which for nearly three decades has been the star of high-speed chases and an unwelcome sight in rearview mirrors, is being phased out.

Ford's new patrol car, the 2011 Police Interceptor, will be built at Ford's South Side Chicago plant on Torrence Avenue. It was designed to be faster, safer and stronger, and will come packed with advanced technology, but for some at the unveiling, it was a nostalgic occasion.
"I'm sad to see the Crown Vic go," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Rob Robinson, who has been on the force for 27 years.

For the last 10 years he's been a driving instructor for the department.

"Everybody knows that car, how to drive it and how to work on it. And the new car is, in a lot of ways, superior, and I'm excited about it.

"But it's also just new."

The Crown Victoria police car, which debuted in 1983, will not be going away any time soon. Ford will be making them until late next year -- about the same time that Police Interceptors will start coming off the production line.

And it's uncertain when police departments, feeling budget constraints, will be able to place orders for the new cars.

Ford didn't disclose prices at the event. The Crown Victoria police car has a base price of about $27,000.

Ford also makes a Crown Victoria model for consumers -- it's also being phased out next year.

The Police Interceptor will be built on the same platform as Ford's 2010 Taurus.

But company spokesman Said Deep said that about 90% of the Police Interceptor has been engineered specifically for law enforcement use.

"It shares some sheet metal [with the Taurus], but it's a very different car," Deep said.

Inside, the seats have cutouts that accommodate police-issue utility belts. They are also narrower to allow officers to get in and out quickly.

The gear shifter is on the steering column to free up space between the front seats for gear.

That space is 9 inches, the same as in the Crown Victoria, so that existing equipment can fit.

The rear door panels swing out 10 degrees farther than on a regular Taurus to make it easier to get detainees in and out.

Also, the police version will have a larger trunk to accommodate equipment.

In another change from the Crown Victoria, the Police Interceptor will have unibody-type construction, in which the frame and body are one piece.

The Crown Victoria is one of the last cars with the body bolted onto the frame.

"When a Crown Vic gets in a wreck, we can easily swap out banged-up body panels," Robinson said. "The new car has a unibody, with no separate frame, and that's going to be more expensive to fix after an accident."

The Police Interceptor will be offered in front- and all-wheel-drive versions.

It will have a V-6 engine that produces 263 horsepower. Ford said it will have 25% better fuel efficiency than the Crown Victoria police car, which has a V-8 engine.

Like the consumer Taurus, which comes in a hot-rod SHO version, there will be a souped-up model available to the police with a 365-horsepower engine.

Switching to a new model is a risk for Ford, which has dominated the law enforcement market since the mid-1990s, when General Motors stopped making its Chevrolet Caprice police car.

The major competitors that remain are Chevy Impala and Dodge Charger police cars.

Robinson, for one, was resigned to the passing of the Crown Victoria.

"It's a change," he said, "and I guess it has to happen."
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #31
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Sorry, but NOTHING will outrun their radio
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #32
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Just remember it will be a hefty car, so the power to weight may play to your advantage will have to wait and see. Just retain good legal counsel if you decide to outgun it!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #33
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwmcb View Post
Just remember it will be a hefty car, so the power to weight may play to your advantage will have to wait and see. Just retain good legal counsel if you decide to outgun it!
Also remember to keep it short because once they have the helicopter on you, it is pretty much game over.

Although do cop cars have electronic limiters? If not, the Caprice cop car will be able to keep up. You may get the best of the cop in initial acceleration, but I do believe the top speed of these things unlimited is ~175 MPH. So you're limited to 150 MPH Max, he'll catch back up.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 03:44 AM   #34
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

I'd take these horsepower figures with a grain of salt. It's highly likely that the actual figures will be proportionally higher than what's quoted. The days of 400 hp police cars is finally upon us.

As already pointed out, the cops' biggest advantage is not having the instantly-recognizable front/rear fascia of the Crown Victoria to alert us speed demons. The fact that there will be unmarked versions of these cars also tips the scales even more in the cops' favor for a rude awakening.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #35
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Also remember to keep it short because once they have the helicopter on you, it is pretty much game over.

Although do cop cars have electronic limiters? If not, the Caprice cop car will be able to keep up. You may get the best of the cop in initial acceleration, but I do believe the top speed of these things unlimited is ~175 MPH. So you're limited to 150 MPH Max, he'll catch back up.
The cops in my area only use the Eurocopter EC-130B4 which, sadly, has a top sped of 155 knots (178 mph) which is only 3 mph higher than that of the Caprice.

There are plenty of records of people outrunning these things out in the desert
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #36
Black Stallon
Quemando Carretera
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

MANN, Phuck them pigs, donut eating junkies. If Five-O is coming for u, you all know what to do, pedal to the metal and give him the finger in the middle while shifting gears unles u drive a DCT.