BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-15-2016, 01:35 AM   #1
TheDirtyThirty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Mod Gintani valvetronic exhaust to always stay open?

This might sound crazy but is it possible to ditch the vacuum controlled solenoid and have the valves always open? I bought the exhaust second hand from a member and thought Id enjoy switching back and forth through the keyless remote which I did. But from the start it was a pain in the ass dealing with the brake booster vacuum hose. The system worked well once I had everything sorted out but at my first track day in 100 plus weather, everything that could go wrong did sending the car into limp mode many times lol. From vacuum leaks at the T splice to hoses melting at the muffler, I ended up just bypassing the system and running the valves closed the rest of the track day.

So my question is can the actual flappers be taken out or can the tie rod attached to the vacuum actuator be adjusted in a way where its always open?

Thank you
      07-15-2016, 03:32 AM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

There are two kinds of valves, default open or default close. If yours is default open, just disconnecting the vacuum solenoid should cause them to remain permanently open.

If they are default closed, you can weld the vacuum actuators permanent open.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 03:45 AM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

That said, I suspect you may have a bad install. I've tracked and had flames out of my exhaust tips, but never had melted vacuum hoses. Your hoses, wiring harness and vacuum solenoid should be routed behind the exhaust heatshields. There is no reason they should be in contact with the muffler or piping. That's just lazy install work.
Appreciate 0