BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #45
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll probably end up with the C3. But for now my commuter car needed about $800 in repairs, so that cuts into my "track tools just because race car" fund. So the impact wrench might have to wait.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #46
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
I just got this one last week.... haven't even used it yet, but it was on sale and I had an old giftcard so was basically free.

Before this I was breaking em loose first, then taking em off with a socket connected to the end of a old black and decker cordless drill. Worked well for me for the past few years.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-c3-19...05000P?prdNo=2
Update on mine, i ended up taking it back when i saw this one:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-c3-me...2&blockType=G2

Impact and 2 of the much much better XCP Lithium-Ion batteries.... plus a drill to replace my ancient ass black and decker. For $170 i think is a great deal. Have a track day next friday so will get to test it out then and see how it performs.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #47
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:

Impact and 2 of the much much better XCP Lithium-Ion batteries.... plus a drill to replace my ancient ass black and decker. For $170 i think is a great deal. Have a track day next friday so will get to test it out then and see how it performs.
Wow, that seems like a great deal. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #48
mot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut
Quote:
I just got this one last week.... haven't even used it yet, but it was on sale and I had an old giftcard so was basically free.

Before this I was breaking em loose first, then taking em off with a socket connected to the end of a old black and decker cordless drill. Worked well for me for the past few years.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-c3-19...05000P?prdNo=2

How was it?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #49
JonnyTrauma
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 6mt

I was going to buy a cordless impact driver as well but first tried my regular Dewalt drill w/ 3/4" chock with clutch on lowest setting and it definitely does the trick. Now it only takes me 2-3 minutes per wheel change.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #50
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Breaker bar to do the initial loosen and torque wrench when tight.

I have rheumatoid arthritis (I'm too young for this bs), so using the cordless is awesome at saving my hands for all the loosening and tightening.
      12-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #51
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

I'd stay away from the Craftsman honestly.

I never used the C3, but I had the large 350 ft-lb impact wrench, 20V, that was the predecessor to the C3.

It worked great and the charge lasted. Which was all great until the motor stripped. It ended up stripping to where the motor would run and rev up but the wrench wouldn't move.

Contrary to popular belief, these don't actually have a warranty like craftsman hand tools. I did talk with sears and they did do a repair for free.

However, after using it for another month it happened again. I was able to finagle a return to the base Sears store. Nothing wrong with Sears customer service, actually big props to them for replacing the broken tool out of warranty! But just the hassle of it failing when I needed it was enough to move out of Craftsman.

I ended up buying the DeWalt 18v 300 ft-lb and it holds up much better. Dewalt didn't have an impact wrench in their newer Li-ion battery line, so I have the older type but it works great and will hold up well. I don't know if they ever made an impact for their new battery line or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #52
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
I use a Dewalt DW059B. It's good for up to 300ft-lbs. Amazon sells the bare tool for a good price (see http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-To...+impact+wrench), and batteries aren't too expensive either.

I use it all the time on my 911, which has the bolts torqued to 118lb-ft. The Dewalt has no problem breaking the bolts.
Appreciate 0