BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

10-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
bunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

How important is service vs price?

Hello,

I've been working with a nearby BMW dealership on buying the E92 M3 and it will be the first time I'm purchasing a brand spankin' new car from a dealership. In the past, I have always bought used cars and didn't care much for service or where I take my car to get it serviced. With the M3, it will be different.

My experience with this dealership has been superb so far... excellent service, really friendly people, and they're just on top of things. The guy I've been working with has spent a lot of time with me during my last two test drives and answered all my questions to help me make my decision. He never pressured me and has treated me with great respect. I can't say I had the same experience when I visited the Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche dealerships. Most places don't seem to take me seriously when I walk through the door

Now to the price... the best they're willing to offer me $3K over invoice because they stand behind their level of service. Their customer service already speaks for itself, but they offer other perks, such as free loaner cars, car washes, shuttle service, and car storage. I haven't done a lot of research on what other dealerships offer, but this seems great.

My question, is this really all worth it? Paying the extra price to get a great level of service and convenient perks? Perhaps it's not worth the $2,500 price difference, but I might be willing to pay more if this place is going to provide me top quality service when my car needs to be serviced. I received a better quote ($600 over invoice) from somewhere much further away, but it seems the only thing I will get out of it is a cheaper price.

What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

All of those "perks" you mentioned above are pretty much standard at alot of BMW dealerships, except car storage which i havent heard of. You should be able to get close to invoice.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
bunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Is there a difference in the way you get treated if you get your car serviced at a dealership you didn't purchase the car from as opposed to if you had purchased it from them?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
hbcpa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 MR E90 M3

Car storage sounds like Crevier. All So Cal BMW dealers have those perks I know as I use to live in Laguna Niguel. Tell the dealer to match Steve Thomas or refund your money. Remember you are dealing with a sales guy. All sales guys are super nice when they see a fat commission check coming.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
hbcpa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
Is there a difference in the way you get treated if you get your car serviced at a dealership you didn't purchase the car from as opposed to if you had purchased it from them?
No. As soon as the sell is done you are working with the service guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

There is no way I would pay $3000 invoice. Better service or not, it's not worth that much money. Think how much you could actually do with a $2400 savings.

That could be a whole vacation, or 24 visits to the spa, a dozen upgrades to first class on long flights maybe. I don't see what they can offer you that they don't already have to offer you. They still have to service your car regardless of where you purchased it from. And it's your choice to rate them poor on the service survey -- that is where they get money from BMWNA.

I get BMWs loaners and awesome service at the service dept where I've been taking my car now, and I didn't even buy it from them. I will now be buying a car from them because of it, though. They're really great, and I'm only paying $750 above invoice for my new M3. I didn't even ask for less, as I felt that was fair enough. They didn't even raise an eyebrow and agreed within 5 minutes of me walking in the door.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

bunny you've posted on this topic in a few other places. everyone is going to give you the same answer... no matter what, you should not be paying more than a few hundred over invoice, regardless of whether its the absolute best or worst service on the planet. the truth of the matter is that almost all bmw dealerships will provide you the same kind of service. even then, you can take your BMW in for service at any BMW dealership, not just the one you bought it at. don't let a salesperson pull the wool over your eye with the typical "yeah we might not be able to beat that price, but we have great service" argument.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
bunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

yeah, i know esquire... I've read enough now to know I would be paying too much over invoice, but I don't have experience working with a service dept for high end cars and didn't know if there's a big difference from dealership to dealership... or if great service is really worth the price, especially when you're talking about a 70k+ car.

@hbcpa you are right, it's Crevier. I tried emailing the CA I was working with to see if they would match the price from Steve Thomas and that's when he came back with a big schpiel on how they're the best in service and that I'm not just paying for the car but the unparalleled services they can offer compared to other places... and I didn't know if this was true or not. I do know how amazing he's been to me and I kinda feel bad not buying from him because he's spent so much time with me. But I guess you're all right... he just wants the sale and in the end I will be working with the service guys after its all said and done and not him :/

I could really use 24 visits to the spa thx for the advice everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah, i know esquire... I've read enough now to know I would be paying too much over invoice, but I don't have experience working with a service dept for high end cars and didn't know if there's a big difference from dealership to dealership... or if great service is really worth the price, especially when you're talking about a 70k+ car.

@hbcpa you are right, it's Crevier. I tried emailing the CA I was working with to see if they would match the price from Steve Thomas and that's when he came back with a big schpiel on how they're the best in service and that I'm not just paying for the car but the unparalleled services they can offer compared to other places... and I didn't know if this was true or not. I do know how amazing he's been to me and I kinda feel bad not buying from him because he's spent so much time with me. But I guess you're all right... he just wants the sale and in the end I will be working with the service guys after its all said and done and not him :/

Also, fyi, Crevier's service is nothing special anymore. I actually refuse to go to them - I've had so many bad experiences. Crevier is riding on its reputation from years ago when they were doing whatever it took to get volume sales. They're very much a different creature these days (as I'm sure you can see by the fact that they're trying to stick you with a 3k over invoice deal).

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #10
bunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

@esquire where do you go to get your car serviced in SoCal?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #11
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

go with steve thomas bmw...nothing short of a positive experience when speaking with ryan...
      10-15-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@esquire where do you go to get your car serviced in SoCal?
anywhere but crevier. haha. southbay usually.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Service and price are both important, and I got both from Southbay BMW. It was a breeze dealing with Philippe Kahn @ southbay. Straight deal no BS. To be honest I don't think you get any special treatment for service just because you purchased the car at the same dealer, so I don't know what kind of "top-quality" service they'll provide you when your car needs serviced.

I do find the free car wash at southbay quite useful. I used to wash my P-car few times a year, but now I get free car wash every few weeks.
      10-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
To be honest I don't think you get any special treatment for service just because you purchased the car at the same dealer, so I don't know what kind of "top-quality" service they'll provide you when your car needs serviced.
In an ideal world this is true but in reality some dealers do make a distinction. It can be as simple as getting a loaner for service, if you bought the car elsewhere, no loaner! And I could never prove it but when I have needed service, regularly scheduled or emergency, my dealer has always found a way to accomodate me. A friend who bought his car elsewhere sometimes struggles to get an appointment. Again, could just be dumb luck with my timing but...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I have Life Quality BMW 2 blocks away from where I live in Brooklyn, but they would not give me a decent deal on my M3, so I went accross the river to BMW of Tenafly and got an awesome deal of $200 over invoice, thanks to M3post members for referral, very happy with the deal... I could take my M3 for service right here by my house but I don't because LQ BMW seems a bit too busy, too many cars and that's when incidents happen, so I don't trust them. So I drive 16 miles to BMW of Tenafly to get my M3 serviced, thank god their Service Dept open on weekends and they have a nice Star Bucks Vending Machine drink all you want in waiting room... they have loaner cars as well, but I would much rather wait for my car and get it over with... The good thing is that M3 needs very little bit of service, atleast for the way I drive,- weekend car

Hope this helps
      10-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:

I bought my first BMW (non-mcar) from crevier...the sales dude was sooo nice, let me take several cars on drives ALONE, and touted service up the ass back then..pretty much gave you the red carpet treatment and wouldnt budge a penny on the price...i think finally, after much begging and pleading, i got him to throw in a keychain and floormats.

Well..i do go there for service and the only thing thats good is that they give u a loaner car, but then again, like many posted here, its typically standard among all other dealers. In fact, the service is no different than any other honda dealership...they still do things you tell them NOT to and leave things out that they're supposed to do...For example, last year, i had a NO WASH request on my black car...well, they washed it anyways and it came back swirled to high heaven...i was extremely pissed as hell and complained to the manager, where he compensated my by paying for the re-detailing...but, still, i wouldnt say that is it worth an extra 3k over invoice...considering the fact that service is ALREADY priced into the purchase price of the car.

*EDIT: just debating now if i should still use crevier for servicing the new M OR make the 140mil (round trip) to steve thomas to do the service...if i can find a good service team, ill definitely make the drive...

Last edited by ES_TRADER; 10-17-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
go with steve thomas bmw...nothing short of a positive experience when speaking with ryan...
yes, i completely agree....in fact, that is what i did! I just went to crevier first to beat the shit out of the test drive car...then phoned up ryan and did the deal. 600 over, same deal i got...i dont care that others are getting 200-500 over....a few hundred bucks is nothing to me compared to the exceptional service that stevethomas has provided to me, thus far. we communicate by email and sure as hell, they are fast when it comes to responses and just on top of their game. so happy i did the deal with ryan i cant stop talking about it.

my brother is thinking about buyin an M car too so if the weather turns out nicer this sunday afternoon, we'll head on over to crevier and give theirs a run...if he likes it, ill send him to ryan, for sure!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #18
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Hey Bunny. I bought a 2011 M3 from Crevier for 600 over invoice. As many have said, that should be the going rate. Your salesperson is full of shit. Regarding service, they do have some perks (best loaner policy I've ever experienced... guaranteed BMW), and the service staff is well-trained in making customers feel valued, but the actual service (i.e. them fixing the problem) is pretty mediocre. Regardless, if you really want to buy your car at Crevier, just tell the dude you can get it for XXX over invoice at YYY dealership and leave it in their court. If you wanna PM me I'll give you my name and you can refer to the price I paid as well. They will match the offer if they're smart. This is not the best seller's market for $70K cars.
      10-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
bunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's really good to hear from those of you who have also dealt with Crevier. They finally agreed to counter-offer and asked me to come in this Tuesday to work out a new price and earn my business. I guess we'll see what happens. I sent you a PM jdgamble.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #20
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

bunny, would you so happen be custom ordering a silverstone m3 convertible with silver interior?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #21
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's really good to hear from those of you who have also dealt with Crevier. They finally agreed to counter-offer and asked me to come in this Tuesday to work out a new price and earn my business. I guess we'll see what happens. I sent you a PM jdgamble.

Thanks!
what does that even mean, "work out a new price"? either they're going to match/beat steve thomas' price, or they aren't. you don't need to go in for that. they can tell you that directly over the phone. when a dealer asks you to come in, its so they can apply pressure tactics.

steve thomas bmw and more specifically, ryan amico is the way to go on this one.

- esquire

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
bunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
bunny, would you so happen be custom ordering a silverstone m3 convertible with silver interior?
nope, i'm getting the alpine white m3 coupe with black interior.
Appreciate 0