BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #23
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alofoque View Post
I have the ACM mod with aa race xpipe and its loud. Akra is much quieter and a totally different sound. I'm in the market for an akra to pair with my aa xpipe myself. The sound under heavy accelaration is glorious and f1 like but i must be getting old because I want something more low key. Windows up its perfect you can have a conversation no problem but windows down its pretty loud.

OP, I think you'll be the first with this combination of exhaust.
I hope so and I hope it's amazing!
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alofoque View Post
I have the ACM mod with aa race xpipe and its loud. Akra is much quieter and a totally different sound. I'm in the market for an akra to pair with my aa xpipe myself. The sound under heavy accelaration is glorious and f1 like but i must be getting old because I want something more low key. Windows up its perfect you can have a conversation no problem but windows down its pretty loud.

OP, I think you'll be the first with this combination of exhaust.
Assuming your Race xpipe means catless then the sounds is totally different from hfc xpipe. The acm mod bypasses the chambers so it's the louder mode of the two. So a combination of straight pipe without cats and a cut out muffler will be very loud. Unless you have the non perforated pipe mod then it should tone it down. Is there a way you can post a sound clip. It will be nice to compare.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Assuming your Race xpipe means catless then the sounds is totally different from hfc xpipe. The acm mod bypasses the chambers so it's the louder mode of the two. So a combination of straight pipe without cats and a cut out muffler will be very loud. Unless you have the non perforated pipe mod then it should tone it down. Is there a way you can post a sound clip. It will be nice to compare.
Agreed. My tone of my exhaust completely changed when I added the HFC to the previously catless x-pipe. It went from extremely loud and raw sounding to a deeper more refined sound.

I never considered the OEM exhaust mod, but there is definitely a difference in sound between the different "styles".
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I'm waiting for your review on akra. I'm holding off with my current muffler sale and acm mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #27
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
I'm waiting for your review on akra. I'm holding off with my current muffler sale and acm mod.
Tomorrow is install day! Will do a write up and get some vids ASAP
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #28
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Due to a mix-up by Akrapovic (sent me the x-pipe instead of mufflers), the new setup will be getting thrown on at the same time as the SC...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #29
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #30
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Lol.
Not my initial reaction hahaha. At least all my friends and family will get their xmas presents on time
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #31
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook View Post
Not my initial reaction hahaha. At least all my friends and family will get their xmas presents on time
Lol. Mistakes are so common and expected these days. Specially with mail in orders. It's like no one takes their job seriously.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #32
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Lol. Mistakes are so common and expected these days. Specially with mail in orders. It's like no one takes their job seriously.
Yup, not mad just kinda in a "WTF" state. Since they refused to sell me a muffler without tips I would assume that they would get this order correct instead of sending the x-pipe and a set of tips.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #33
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Omg you were so right. I put the original muffler back on the car but I can't stand how ugly the muffler looks. Thanks for bringing that up to my attention. ;(.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #34
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Akra slip-on is on the car now and sounds great paired with the AA HFC x-pipe!! Couldn't be happier with the sound. If I had to describe it I would say: A little bassy down low (not even close to how bassy the AA was), REALLY smooth feeling (more smooth on acceleration than either the Dinan or AA), quiet while cruising (about the same as Dinan, maybe a little louder), and aggressive when stomped on (right in between AA and Dinan, but the sound is AMAZING).

Will for sure post videos up after some spirited driving this weekend

Last edited by Jbook; 01-05-2013 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #35
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Akra slip-on is on the car now and sounds great paired with the AA HFC x-pipe!! Couldn't be happier with the sound. If I had to describe it I would say: A little bassy down low (not even close to how bassy the AA was), REALLY smooth feeling (more smooth on acceleration than either the Dinan or AA), quiet while cruising (about the same as Dinan, maybe a little louder), and aggressive when stomped on (right in between AA and Dinan, but the sound is AMAZING).

Awesome! We have a similar set up. Instead of the HFC X, I have the MRF Engineering X pipe but also the Akra slip + ESS 625. The blower will make your car sound a little different at idle from the engine bay (kinda like a faint jet engine sound). Normal driving probably wont sound any different than now but when you step on it with the blower, it changes the dynamics and while it won't be any louder, it rev's soooo fast that it will just seem very different.

I'm looking forward to your impressions once the blower is installed. What's the timing estimate on that?
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #36
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Idle sound of the blower is amazing. It almost m///azing
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Awesome! We have a similar set up. Instead of the HFC X, I have the MRF Engineering X pipe but also the Akra slip + ESS 625. The blower will make your car sound a little different at idle from the engine bay (kinda like a faint jet engine sound). Normal driving probably wont sound any different than now but when you step on it with the blower, it changes the dynamics and while it won't be any louder, it rev's soooo fast that it will just seem very different.

I'm looking forward to your impressions once the blower is installed. What's the timing estimate on that?
Oh man, I can't wait to get the blower on!! They're just waiting on the CF manifold which almost makes me regret picking that option since it's completely unnecessary haha. I'm expecting it to ship out next week, so hopefully it will be on in a weeks time!

Time to go charge my GoPro and get some vids before it starts raining!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #38
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Yes do that! Lol!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #39
M3etM3
Super Modder retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3, and an Explor

MOAR please!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #40
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I am visiting this thread late, but I'm running a AA HFC x pipe with AA signature rear and planning on getting Akra rear section due to the low rpm cruising drone. Seems like you love the combo, can you share if you were getting any drone with that setup?