BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #133
Tim182d
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

I purchased and just received the BMWhat reader and full version app. Works fine with my 2013 E93 M3.

I was concerned that it would take weeks to get the reader from Germany...arrived in one week.

Two thumbs up all around!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #134
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

So i emailed the developer some questions and here are his replies.

One concern I have is what happens if I lose wifi connection while I am in the process of coding? Will this cause problems with the ECU?

The actual coding process takes about a tenth of a second, everything else are checks and verifications. Even if you happen to loose the wifi connection exactly in this very short moment, the car won’t accept the incomplete message and will protect itself :-)
Also the app creates backups before you code. This way if something goes wrong, you can easily reset your module.

Also, I am looking at your list of coding options for the E series 1er3er. Do all of these coding options also work on the E92 M3? Or only on the regular 3 series?

M3 shouldn’t be a problem, since they use a lot of the same basic modules (like the CAS and FRM).

I was wondering if you will implement the feature to register a new battery
for a E92 M3? That would be a very good feature. Thanks!

Yes that is planned - I also need a new battery soon :-)
      04-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #135
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So i bought the ELM 327 Wifi adapter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ASIN: B00AOIM2CC

Plugged it into the car, fired up the BMWhat app and everything worked as advertised.

It was able to read out the service codes and I tried around 5 of the coding options which all worked. The connection was pretty quick. For those that are having problems connecting, make sure you follow the instructions to change the wifi settings to static and enter in the ip address indicated.

I tried the ELM 327 on a Honda Civic with the free OBD Doctor app and that worked perfectly also
      04-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #136
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post

Plugged it into the car, fired up the BMWhat app and everything worked as advertised.

It was able to read out the service codes and I tried around 5 of the coding options which all worked. The connection was pretty quick. For those that are having problems connecting, make sure you follow the instructions to change the wifi settings to static and enter in the ip address indicated.

I tried the ELM 327 on a Honda Civic with the free OBD Doctor app and that worked perfectly also
Do the service codes show up as a fault code?
Is OBD Doctor on IOS or Google store?
Thanks.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #137
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post

Do the service codes show up as a fault code?
Is OBD Doctor on IOS or Google store?
Thanks.
Not sure what the difference is but I attached a screenshot of part of the readout I got. I got OBD Doctor on ios
Attached Images

04-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #138
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Still no luck for me on the ELM 327. Am going to try it on a friend's 335 to see if it works there...
Grrr...no good. Tried two different iPhones and two different BMW's ('09 M3 and '11 328). Only ever saw one blinking light on the device. Phones could detect the network but were never able to connect.

Bummer Glad it was only $20.

Might have to order the other one from ViNi apps.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #139
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Looks like you can't reset service lights or read what service is needed.
I emailed and of course they said they're working on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #140
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Grrr...no good. Tried two different iPhones and two different BMW's ('09 M3 and '11 328). Only ever saw one blinking light on the device. Phones could detect the network but were never able to connect.

Bummer Glad it was only $20.

Might have to order the other one from ViNi apps.
Make sure you set the wifi settings to static ip and use the address that they give you. I wasn't able to get it to work with the car running but with the accessory on it worked.

hit the start button twice without your foot on the clutch and it should put it into the correct mode
      05-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #141
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
You can reset without OBDII device

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Looks like you can't reset service lights or read what service is needed.
I emailed and of course they said they're working on it.
Try this:

Also, I just bought the elm327 and Im glad I found this thread, because I bought it for error codes. Now that I know I can code, I'm stoked!!! Also, I can hold back on buying the Bav Tech cable, but I will likely get it later anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #142
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Resetting the service lights is so easy with the existing stalk buttons why would you bother getting this thing out just to do that?
      05-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #143
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

I just received my bluetooth adapter from Ivini. Not happy that the app doesn't display any parameters on my 2009 E90. I emailed the developer and was told my engine is not supported.

Coding seems fine as does diagnostics.

Parameter display is important to me as well. Anyone have the same situation? Mine is the full version fwiw.
      05-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #144
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Try this:

Also, I just bought the elm327 and Im glad I found this thread, because I bought it for error codes. Now that I know I can code, I'm stoked!!! Also, I can hold back on buying the Bav Tech cable, but I will likely get it later anyway.
Thanks. Didn't know about that vid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Resetting the service lights is so easy with the existing stalk buttons why would you bother getting this thing out just to do that?
It was for my wife's 335 without iDrive and the usual service stuff wasn't showing up that I could find. It was for a dealer inspection.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 05-22-2014 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #145
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Good. Use YouTube and google also. YouTube has DIY videos for many things and the whole forum is indexed on google, it will save you time for quick answers.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #146
HappyFunBall
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Can u code the fuel warning to show 1/8 tank instead of 1/4 as it is set now with this?

How about the mirrors to fold in when you lock the car?
I found the mirrors, but cannot find the fuel warning change (E90 M3)...this is the biggest thing I wanted to do as M3's are always below 1/4 tank

I purchased the app on the existing features and emailed the dev to see if he can add this functionality for fuel.

With the coding functionality, I think this thread may need to be sticky soon!

- Jason
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #147
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBall View Post
I found the mirrors, but cannot find the fuel warning change (E90 M3)...this is the biggest thing I wanted to do as M3's are always below 1/4 tank

I purchased the app on the existing features and emailed the dev to see if he can add this functionality for fuel.

With the coding functionality, I think this thread may need to be sticky soon!

- Jason
Ha, they are, i drove around doing stuff today and was at the gas station twice today.
      05-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #148
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
I have the exact same experience. Takes forever to verify the connection, it finally says its connected but when I test for codable ECU's it reads back zero.

You need to have the ignition on. If you don't this is what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #149
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

I finally pulled the trigger on this app and the ELM 327 wifi from Amazon. I couldn't be more pleased. The ELM327 is now a permanent addition to my glove box. A couple of tips:

1. Do turn on the ignition after the adaptor is connected to the OBDII. Foot off the brake, press the start button twice until you see all the lights on the dashboard. Then connect to the wifi SSID (CTEK Devices in my case) and enjoy. The app is so easy to use, my grandma can find her way navigating it. As a safety measure, it even takes a backup of the existing module coding before it codes new features. I didn't have any issues but I'm sure there must be an option to restore from it's backup if coding gets interrupted.
2. The closer to the wifi adaptor you are, the faster and more reliable connections. I was sitting on the driver's seat and had no issues connecting whatsoever and the app was fast. If I moved outside the garage, it was slow and refused to code. This is actually awesome as the app is protecting your ECUs due to poor connections or interference issues
3. My ELM327 had a DHCP server built to it as I got an IP address immediately. No static IP configuration was needed. Plug and play.
4. Support the developer. This is a great app with huge potential. Send him an encouraging email to help him do more. He deserves our support and a pat in the back
5. The $49 cost is nothing compared to your return. Being able to read codes anywhere is almost priceless. The addition of the battery registration and coding will make this a no brainer for the cost.

Just my 2c
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #150
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

So, has anyone with an S65 motor seen any parameters displayed?
      05-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #151
Jamrockbwoy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrennan View Post
I bought the WiFi OBD adaptor that ivini-apps sells - took about 7 days to get here from Germany. Works well.
http://www.ivini-apps.com/apps_detai...at_iphone.html
how much was it?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #152
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
So, has anyone with an S65 motor seen any parameters displayed?
Not I.

I'm hoping the developer catches up to include all the functions for the E9x M3
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #153
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
It would be nice of the coded features had further explanation.

It's neat, but it's not worth the $80 or so I spent messing around with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #154
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
It would be nice of the coded features had further explanation.

It's neat, but it's not worth the $80 or so I spent messing around with it.
Completely agree. The coding options are almost a guess as to what happens after you select them. The app needs to be car/model specific as to what the codding offers.
Appreciate 0