BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

EXXEL Distributions

03-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #309
koches
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xDrive

Garage List
Can't complain about the CYMA. And the bimmer of course!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #310
djpatrick35
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive 6 Spd

While I have yet to get my first BMW (three LONG weeks from now) I have been a watch collector for a long time now. My current collection is:

Breitling Superocean
Breitling Super Avenger
Rolex Explorer II 216570
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean
Omega Speedmaster Michael Schumacher Edition

I've also previously collected Tag Heuer, Oris, Ball, and other watch brands.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #311
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
What watch will you wear in your new i8?

I was thinking: Zenith Defy Extreme Sea to match the BMW blue/black color option or a Vogard Chronozoner Racing.

I just don’t think a Submariner or basic Hublot or ROO will work with this car.
Any other suggestions?
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #312
koches
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
What watch will you wear in your new i8?

I was thinking: Zenith Defy Extreme Sea to match the BMW blue/black color option or a Vogard Chronozoner Racing.

I just don’t think a Submariner or basic Hublot or ROO will work with this car.
Any other suggestions?
Could be a cool combo of traditional watch vs futuristic car
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #313
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

1 BMW (at a time)
many watches

watch is #4 of 250 limited edition
      03-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #314
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Well I am considering buy new from a non AD as the price differential from new to used is 500 and thats peanuts at this price point. If i did buy used it would have to be in mint condition.

Would you worry about not buying from an AD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
YW

I suppose too that if you are adept with and have a camera with which you can take a good macro picture, you will have a record of what the movement looked like before they serviced it.

Note too that if the used watch is sold with recent (past one to three months) servicing documentation that has details, particularly those pertaining to chronometer/accuracy measurements, you won't need to demand servicing prior to taking delivery provided the watch was in the seller's possession from the point of servicing until when you buy it. Just saying that so you know to bother to find out just what the status of the watch and its service history is before you start haggling on price and terms of the sale. It won't do you any good on price to show that you value highly something which you'd get regardless of what you pay. Doing that would just give the seller an additional lever to use against you in keeping the price higher as you are trying to get the price lower.

All the best.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #315
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Well I am considering buy new from a non AD as the price differential from new to used is 500 and thats peanuts at this price point. If i did buy used it would have to be in mint condition.

Would you worry about not buying from an AD?
The reliability, ubiquity and toughness of Rolex watches is such that it's one pricey watch I would have no reservation about buying from a grey market seller (GMS) or trustworthy used watch seller. I would say that actually about most any mainstream watch -- Omega, IWC, Breitling, Patek, AP, and any watch that has ETA, Miyota or Sellita inside.

Generally, used watch seller, if they are a standard jeweler or new watch seller won't have much but mint condition used watches. It's much the same as why new car dealerships tend to have the best used car specimens. They have nothing to gain by trying to sell a sub par watch and they have a lot to lose if they do so.

If you check out Alan Furman, you'll see they are a GMS that sells new and used Rolexes. You can contact them and ask them to describe the state of the watch to you. As them to use a loupe to identify the status of the watch if that suits you. Assuming simple daily use, you should expect a used Rolex in SS not to have any visible marks/scratches, but it's quite possible that under a loupe, some may appear.

I suppose other GMSes also sell used Rolexes. Lots of new watch sellers also sell used ones, especially Rolex's. Topper also is a good place to seek used watches. (http://www.topperjewelers.com/watches/pre_owned_select/)

All the best.

P.S.
If you really have nothing useful you can do with $500, being "peanuts," holler at me when you are ready to buy. I'll gladly buy the watch for you from a reliable seller and sell it to you, box unopened, for $500 more. <winks and chuckles>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #316
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That is interesting to hear. Well the odd scratch is hard to avoid. Stainless seems to scratch by just looking at it.

Oh our "peanut" deal sounds like a plan. The cheque will be in the mail, I am just waiting on my Nigerian finance minister uncle to wire me some funds.....
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #317
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is interesting to hear. Well the odd scratch is hard to avoid. Stainless seems to scratch by just looking at it.

Oh our "peanut" deal sounds like a plan. The cheque will be in the mail, I am just waiting on my Nigerian finance minister uncle to wire me some funds.....
Red:
Stainless steel (SS) varies. My Constellation Manhattan has lots and lots of tiny scratches (think scuff type scratches) that are visible to the naked eye if one looks for them, but a casual look from much more than arm's length distance won't reveal them. Ditto my Movado.

My Rolexes don't have any of those sorts of scratches. My newer fancy SS watches -- RO, Reverso, Marine, Seamaster, Milgauss and some others -- don't have any scratches that I noticed the last time I looked at them, but then they are all comparatively new. The Constellation and Rolexes -- Air King and Submariner are all 10+ years old, the Air King is some 30 years old.

I think in part the scratching thing has to do with the steel used, but it also has to do with the nature of the finish on it. The RO, for example has bits of shiny, highly polished steel that are all but begging to be scratched. The Constellation has a very smooth, non-grained surface finish. It's also been one of my "go to" daily wear watches for as long as I've had it. I just like the contemporary look of the design and that it works for dress and casual occasions. It's just a super easy watch to own and wear; it's not super expensive; and like the rest of the watches I have, it doesn't scream "look at me" or "see how fancy I am."

Of course, wear, storage and handling habits also affect scratching. I have to say that until Mother started sewing little watch pouches for me, I used to just toss a couple watches in a pocket of my laptop bag and head for the airport. They'd bounce around and whatnot in there to their heart's content. I'm sure a lot of the scratching on the Omega came from that.

As for storage, at one point, I just tossed them in a drawer until there were too many to do that, at which point they just got tossed into a shoebox. Later, I had my kids make a divided and lined storage box for them (it was their penalty for "behavior unbecoming any child of mine" that caused them to have to do that ). Now they still go in that box, but also inside little pouches Mother sews for me from time to time. (Or at least she used to. It's been a while; I probably should hit her up for some more...I'm sure she has nothing better to do. )

The pic below isn't the box -- I don't travel with it LOL -- but it is essentially what it looks like, but it has a cover and a piece of cloth is on the bottom. The biggest PITA of making a similar one is measuring for and cutting out the little sections of wood so that when the long divider strips are placed on top of the shorter ones, the things fit together and are relatively flush, or at least flush enough so they don't look too sloppy and so they don't stick up so far that the lid won't slide in.

Blue:
I'll keep an eye open for the mail. <grins>

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #318
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

m-sports and TAG watches!

535d (coming soon) and Carrera calibre 32
      03-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #319
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

F10 M5
Panerai Luminor GMT
Rolex Submariner 50th (green bezel, black dial)
Rolex Submariner gold and black
Omega seamaster

...definitely like watches and cars. 2 vices of mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #320
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok, so it arrived today. I bought from a ebay seller called Elite Time. Gagan Navani was very helpful and we actually worked out a deal outside of Ebay to reduce incurred fees. New watch with all papers, open card and box. Totally thrilled. It is heavier than my Bell & Ross BR01-97 or it feels like it is.

Have also closed on a deal for a Breitling for the fiancee.

I think I have opened a can of worms....

Quote:
Red:
Stainless steel (SS) varies. My Constellation Manhattan has lots and lots of tiny scratches (think scuff type scratches) that are visible to the naked eye if one looks for them, but a casual look from much more than arm's length distance won't reveal them. Ditto my Movado.

My Rolexes don't have any of those sorts of scratches. My newer fancy SS watches -- RO, Reverso, Marine, Seamaster, Milgauss and some others -- don't have any scratches that I noticed the last time I looked at them, but then they are all comparatively new. The Constellation and Rolexes -- Air King and Submariner are all 10+ years old, the Air King is some 30 years old.

I think in part the scratching thing has to do with the steel used, but it also has to do with the nature of the finish on it. The RO, for example has bits of shiny, highly polished steel that are all but begging to be scratched. The Constellation has a very smooth, non-grained surface finish. It's also been one of my "go to" daily wear watches for as long as I've had it. I just like the contemporary look of the design and that it works for dress and casual occasions. It's just a super easy watch to own and wear; it's not super expensive; and like the rest of the watches I have, it doesn't scream "look at me" or "see how fancy I am."

Of course, wear, storage and handling habits also affect scratching. I have to say that until Mother started sewing little watch pouches for me, I used to just toss a couple watches in a pocket of my laptop bag and head for the airport. They'd bounce around and whatnot in there to their heart's content. I'm sure a lot of the scratching on the Omega came from that.

As for storage, at one point, I just tossed them in a drawer until there were too many to do that, at which point they just got tossed into a shoebox. Later, I had my kids make a divided and lined storage box for them (it was their penalty for "behavior unbecoming any child of mine" that caused them to have to do that ). Now they still go in that box, but also inside little pouches Mother sews for me from time to time. (Or at least she used to. It's been a while; I probably should hit her up for some more...I'm sure she has nothing better to do. )

The pic below isn't the box -- I don't travel with it LOL -- but it is essentially what it looks like, but it has a cover and a piece of cloth is on the bottom. The biggest PITA of making a similar one is measuring for and cutting out the little sections of wood so that when the long divider strips are placed on top of the shorter ones, the things fit together and are relatively flush, or at least flush enough so they don't look too sloppy and so they don't stick up so far that the lid won't slide in.

Blue:
I'll keep an eye open for the mail. <grins>

All the best.

Attached Images

!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #321
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so it arrived today. I bought from a ebay seller called Elite Time. Gagan Navani was very helpful and we actually worked out a deal outside of Ebay to reduce incurred fees. New watch with all papers, open card and box. Totally thrilled. It is heavier than my Bell & Ross BR01-97 or it feels like it is.

Have also closed on a deal for a Breitling for the fiancee.

I think I have opened a can of worms....
Glad to hear you found a watch that suited you economically and visually. The EII is a lovely watch, especially with the black dial which gives a slightly modern hint to its look and yet isn't so uber-trendy that it should draw unwanted attention. I know you'll get years and years of enjoyment from it.

Did you buy a lady's B-ling for your lady, or will she be wearing a "man-size" watch. I have to admit I feel for ladies who want fine mechanical watches because most of the watch industry seems to have pretty much decided that women want quartz watches. Fortunately for women, folks don't think they look ridiculous wearing a man's sized watch. A man wearing a sub-30mm watch, however, needs a very strong sense of self to endure the silent and voiced teasing and sneers he'd get were he to do so.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #322
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Like the cuff links? Also I will attacha pic of her b-ling when I arrive home.

Quote:
Glad to hear you found a watch that suited you economically and visually. The EII is a lovely watch, especially with the black dial which gives a slightly modern hint to its look and yet isn't so uber-trendy that it should draw unwanted attention. I know you'll get years and years of enjoyment from it.

Did you buy a lady's B-ling for your lady, or will she be wearing a "man-size" watch. I have to admit I feel for ladies who want fine mechanical watches because most of the watch industry seems to have pretty much decided that women want quartz watches. Fortunately for women, folks don't think they look ridiculous wearing a man's sized watch. A man wearing a sub-30mm watch, however, needs a very strong sense of self to endure the silent and voiced teasing and sneers he'd get were he to do so.

All the best.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #323
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like the cuff links? Also I will attacha pic of her b-ling when I arrive home.
Red: You lost me.

Blue: Yes or no was all I was expecting. I don't care what it looks like. LOL.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #324
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well my cuff links are made of watch movements.

Ha fair enough. Yes. Agreed on the automatic argument, choices are rubbish. Also I had a 39mm omega speed master and I hated how small it was.....

Quote:
Red: You lost me.

Blue: Yes or no was all I was expecting. I don't care what it looks like. LOL.

All the best.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #325
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well my cuff links are made of watch movements.

Ha fair enough. Yes. Agreed on the automatic argument, choices are rubbish. Also I had a 39mm omega speed master and I hated how small it was.....
Now those would be some cool cuff links and far more worthy of a pic as they're something one doesn't see in pics all over the place. Did you have them made or are they readily available for sale? If the latter, who's selling them? TY for sharing.

Along a similar vein, several watch companies offer cuff links, unfortunately, the ones that do charge prices no less insanely high for them than they do for their watches.

Patek Philippe

Fonderie 47

Richard Mille

Piaget

Personal Pet Peeve:
Pics of folks wearing their [insert whatever recent production watch you want]. It looks just like every other one I can see in a store or on the web. As I said, it's just a personal thing with me because I know what a great many watches look like and wear like. Their X looks just like the tons of other ones I've seen, worn or tried on. I did notice someone one here was wearing a Smurf and that prompted me to inquire if it was one of the limited distribution/production steel smurfs (the current one is white gold), but aside from that sort of uniqueness, I'm sort of "meh" about watch pics. But hey, it's not my server space and Lord knows my long posts occupy plenty of server space, so I can't and won't gripe about folks' using their share of space and posting their pics.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #326
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I can't be bothered to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on cufflinks as I inevitably loose one of them. My sis who occasionally lives in DC bought me these. They are from a stall in Eastern Market. Very reasonable ($40)
Attached Images

!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #327
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Just starting to get into watches (and bmw's now that I own one).

Here is my new daily:
Seamaster Professional Coaxial
Special Edition 007 Skyfall #/5007

Love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #328
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't be bothered to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on cufflinks as I inevitably loose one of them. My sis who occasionally lives in DC bought me these. They are from a stall in Eastern Market. Very reasonable ($40)
Super cool!!! TY for sharing.

Eastern Market! Wow. I'm going to have to venture over to the other side of town when I get home again.

FWIW, I always have a couple pairs of silk, French knot cuff links in my suitcase. (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Knot-C...Fe99Ogod8VEADQ) I would be furious with myself were I to lose a pair of really nice cufflinks. The knots work just fine and it doesn't stress me out to replace them. The ones your sister gave you are also very cool and at $40 not so pricey that I'd kick myself if they were lost or damaged.

My favorite links are the double sided ones affixed to little chains. They flex a bit and don't cause the shirt to pull when I extend my arm. They are also easier (I find) to fasten as after putting one side in before I don the shirt, the other side slips through the buttonhole like, well, a button. LOL.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #329
Brooklyn Mark
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 MR E92 DCT

nice cyma
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #330
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Super cool!!! TY for sharing.

Eastern Market! Wow. I'm going to have to venture over to the other side of town when I get home again.

FWIW, I always have a couple pairs of silk, French knot cuff links in my suitcase. (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Knot-C...Fe99Ogod8VEADQ) I would be furious with myself were I to lose a pair of really nice cufflinks. The knots work just fine and it doesn't stress me out to replace them. The ones your sister gave you are also very cool and at $40 not so pricey that I'd kick myself if they were lost or damaged.

My favorite links are the double sided ones affixed to little chains. They flex a bit and don't cause the shirt to pull when I extend my arm. They are also easier (I find) to fasten as after putting one side in before I don the shirt, the other side slips through the buttonhole like, well, a button. LOL.

All the best.
I've got some Dunhill ones with the chain and love them, I also often only put them through the front and don't actually close the cuff. Any ideas on other brands that make them? Not the easiest thing to find.
Appreciate 0