BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
iatros
Private
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue 2008 E92

GTS vs Avant Garde M310 vs BBS CH-R

The title sums up my question.....I have an '08 Interlagos blue E92 which I bought used which had the 18" style 219 wheel already installed. I have been reading countless threads about wheels on this forum, and have learned TONS! That said, I have narrowed down the 19" wheel choices some, with cost and quality being the most important factors in my decision. There are already numerous threads about the GTS wheel, the quality speaks for itself. I do think the black wheels would look sexy on IB. I would like to run 265/19 and 295/19's on whatever I decide, and it seems like this would be possible with any of my choices. I have read in some threads that the 295 width is pushing it on the GTS wheel, while others seem to think it ok. I suppose it's a matter of opinion, as far as I can tell.
The avant garde m310 wheel is a mystery to me in some ways. Really friggin' cheap, so it makes me question some about quality of the wheel, but they do look good (a friend of mine has them). It also gives you a more aftermarket look which is nice to some extent. I have searched for any definite problems with this brand, but have not been able to find any serious complaints or failures. I do like the concavity of these wheels. I suppose I could get these in gunmetal or black as well. But man, they are soooo cheap (relatively speaking for wheels), it kinda makes me nervous!!
The BBS Ch-R wheels are good looking, but dont appear to be quite as concave as the avant garde or GTS wheels. Perhaps it's just the angle from which the photos were taken. Quality is obviously excellent. Thinking about going with the "dolphin gray" or titanium type finish in this wheel.
I suppose I'm really torn over gunmetal/titanium type finish vs black wheels on whatever wheel I decide to go with. All of the choices are quite similar, and ultimately Ill make a decision by the end of the month, but I thought I'd float my dilemma out there...Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

265 and 295 on the CH-Rs will be tough. It will literally come down to how square the shoulder is on the tire. The Ch-Rs are definitely not as concave as the AG. I think the concavity is pretty similar to the GTS though. Here's my car:

09-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Someone told me that AG 310m wheels is as good of a quality as factory.
I like them both, and I am torn between the two as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
iatros
Private
Rep

M3PO, your ride looks great! The more pics of IB with black rims that I see, the more I think Im going to go with that combo. I know some say the black rim thing is played out, but I think it is quite striking on IB. Some threads have alluded to the fact that the creation of the AG wheels is the same process as the BMW factory wheels. But yet others have commented that not all flow formed wheels are created equal, and that does seem to make some intuitive sense. It just seems that's a hard statement to qualify without knowing exactly how each wheel manufacturer creates the wheels. The same is probably true in the fact that not all forged wheels are created equal either....(even though the above mentioned wheels are not forged). decision, decisions....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quite the variety of wheel choices from knock-offs to OEM to BBS. If you are stuck on using a 295 tire then I would negate the GTS wheels for sure. So if it were between the AG and BBS, I would go BBS all day long.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
iatros
Private
Rep

@thetech, thanks for your reply. I assume youre basing your statement that 295's will not fit on GTS wheels because it is out of the range of the manufacturer specifications? I believe I read on another thread that 295 size would exceed the recommended width for 10.5" wheel. And yeah, these are some varied wheel options! BUT, just because something costs more doesnt always mean it is of better quality. I would say that a higher price tag does frequently correlate with better quality, but I dont want to be a sucker who pays for a brand or logo unless it is really worth it. I believe in this case Ill get what I pay for, and BBS has more than established themselves and proven themselves too. I guess if I really want to run with a 295, I should probably find a manufacturer that has an 11" wheel...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatros View Post
@thetech, thanks for your reply. I assume youre basing your statement that 295's will not fit on GTS wheels because it is out of the range of the manufacturer specifications? I believe I read on another thread that 295 size would exceed the recommended width for 10.5" wheel. And yeah, these are some varied wheel options! BUT, just because something costs more doesnt always mean it is of better quality. I would say that a higher price tag does frequently correlate with better quality, but I dont want to be a sucker who pays for a brand or logo unless it is really worth it. I believe in this case Ill get what I pay for, and BBS has more than established themselves and proven themselves too. I guess if I really want to run with a 295, I should probably find a manufacturer that has an 11" wheel...
You can always stretch a tire if you want to but most don't try running that wide of a tire on the GTS/ZCP wheel.

Since both the GTS and CH-R wheels are made by BBS, there really is no comparison to make in regards to overpaying for something. The AG will definitely be an inferior wheel in comparison to the other two imo.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
265 and 295 on the CH-Rs will be tough. It will literally come down to how square the shoulder is on the tire. The Ch-Rs are definitely not as concave as the AG. I think the concavity is pretty similar to the GTS though. Here's my car:

What rear diffuser is that? What KW's are you running? Ride height is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
What rear diffuser is that? What KW's are you running? Ride height is perfect.
Arkym + KW Sleeve Kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Arkym + KW Sleeve Kit.
Hmm. Stock shocks couldnt have much travel left with that kind of drop.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Arkym + KW Sleeve Kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
Hmm. Stock shocks couldnt have much travel left with that kind of drop.
Close. At the time of that pic, it was a cheap ebay knock-off that most closely resembled the Vorsteiner Type 1. Now I have an authentic Arkym diffuser.

That is an extreme drop for the stock shocks, no doubt. If I run EDC in comfort and go over an extreme bridge transition, the front shocks will bottom out (had this happen twice). I only run it in Sport Plus so it's not an issue. But it still rides good IMO. If it kills the shocks, I'll get real COs. I got the sleeves because I wanted to retain EDC for long trips. It's pretty much useless at this height but, like I said, I don't mind (don't do any long trips anyway).
      09-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
iatros
Private
Rep

I'm gonna pull the trigger on the GTS wheels. I appreciate the input. Ill post some pics once I get her all set up and ready!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
I'm gonna pull the trigger on the GTS wheels. I appreciate the input. Ill post some pics once I get her all set up and ready!
Very good choice.
      09-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 white/Fox red-DCT

Hey mp30 what side skirts or side diffuser do you have on your car? Looks great.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
I have the GTS wheels on IB myself

2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
iatros
Private
Rep

@MikeE92M3, Im well aware of your car.....Your pics are the reason why I went with IB over the other colors!! I was about to go for a silver or white, but then I was swayed by your setup! Sorry to copy, but when you get it right, it's right!! nicely done sir!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
@MikeE92M3, Im well aware of your car.....Your pics are the reason why I went with IB over the other colors!! I was about to go for a silver or white, but then I was swayed by your setup! Sorry to copy, but when you get it right, it's right!! nicely done sir!
Thank you, kind sir!!!
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
CT
GODXSPD
United_States
Rep
Drives: SSII E90M

265/35R19's will scrub up front regardless of tire brand. I've got almost 3/8" scrub at half steering lock.

e90m / ssii / foxred / wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 + 265/35r19 square / 15mm rear spacer / no chrome
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

295/30/19s will be max for the 10 inch wide rears. It won't be optimum but it is within manufacturers guidelines. A few people are running this with good results.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
iatros
Private
Rep

Well, I just got the tires mounted on the GTS wheels. I went with bridgestone RE 970 295/30/19's in the back and 255/35/19's in the front. I took them to discount tire to have them mounted because they have the "touchless" Hunter mounting system at this particular location. I asked to watch them mount the tires as I had never seen this particular machine in action. Well, they got the first wheel situated, and the guy struggled to get the tire mounted on the rim using this "touchless" system. Needless to say, the guys couldnt figure it out (which seemed to embarrass them quite a bit) and the manager came out and said that if they scratched or damaged my rims while mounting them in the regular fashion, he would buy me a new rim. I said thats fine, if your completely confident, then proceed. THANKFULLY, they got them on perfect. So, I take the wheels home to mount them, and then I discover that I dont have the lug nut key to remove the bloody wheels! WTF! I thumb through the manual and it says that a wheel removing lug key can be purchased through BMW, implying that it's not standard equipment. Are you serious? I guess all M3's dont come standard with lug key to remove the wheels (I bought my car used, so I dont know if it came with one or not!) Grrrr, I guess Im off to BMW dealer tomorrow to see if I can buy one off of them....Ill post the pics once I put them on.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Bummer about the lug key. I would switch to regular lugs all around and throw the "locking lug" in the trash. When is the last time you saw a car on blocks with no wheels?
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0