BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #23
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Thank you for the pics! Those were great.

Does it use the available audio/usb jacks? (that the ipod Y cable went into). I'm hoping to keep a usb flash drive plugged in as well as my iPhone. Regardless, I may have to get me one of these.

Is the cell reception better? Does there seem to be any difference hooking into the cars antenna?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:20 AM   #24
bazmandude
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 40d M Sport

Garage List
2008 E93 M3  [0.00]
No problem.

The AUX audio and existing USB socket are not used so you can plug a USB key or another iPod into them while keeping the iPhone in the dock. The iDrive system will access music from any device plugged in the exising USB socket as a priority over the iPhone if docked in the cradle i.e. if you have your iPhone docked then plug an external music source into the existing USB socket you will not be able to access the music from both. iDrive will show the music from the device in the existing USB socket. Obviously, if nothing is plugged into the existing USB socket then iDrive accesses the music on the iPhone. iDrive can only access music from one external source it seems.

Can't say I've noticed any improvement in phone reception with the iPhone docked but then i always had good reception, even if i leave the iPhone in my pocket!

Oh and i stil get that annoying message saying the the device isn't designed to work with the iPhone do i want to switch to airplane more!!! Think Apple need to issue and update so the iPhone is aware that the snap-in IS compatible!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
aaaron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Space Grey/Fox Red

I picked up a cradle for my 2G iPhone this week. At first, I thought they gave me the older version cradle because I couldn't get the iDrive to recognize the iPhone as a music source. I had my 'Y' cable plugged into the USB port with NO iPod attached, so I removed the cable and tried again. Sure enough, the iPhone was then recognized and I could play music without problems. So, a word of warning, you must unplug the 'Y' cable before your iPhone will be recognized even if no iPod is connected. This may be obvious, but it wasn't to me at first.

While I am happy with the cradle, I have NOT noticed any improvement in reception. If you are looking for improved reception you may be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #26
waremark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe DCT

Question

I live in a bad reception area, and I get an enormous improvement in phone reception when I plug it into the cradle.

Because it is so tight getting the phone into the cradle I worry about damaging the connections or scratching the phone.

My car is an 08, with iPhone 3G dock, Bluetooth and USB. I think I have to choose between hooking up the music via the USB cable and getting better phone reception. Is this new cradle which gives you both at the same time for 09 cars only?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #27
bazmandude
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 40d M Sport

Garage List
2008 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waremark View Post
My car is an 08, with iPhone 3G dock, Bluetooth and USB. I think I have to choose between hooking up the music via the USB cable and getting better phone reception. Is this new cradle which gives you both at the same time for 09 cars only?
The new 3G iPhone cradle will only allow you to access you music and take advantage of improved phone reception if you specified the 6NF Smart Phone Integration option. Otherwise you will still have to use the old Y-cable to access music from your iPhone. Now i don't think the 6NF option was available on 08 cars. I believe it was only introduced for 09 builds.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #28
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

I think it's worth getting this option if nothing else for improved reception... in cases where you most always get 5bars of 3G, then this will do absolutely nothing for you... I plug my 3G iPhone into the current 6NF connector and get everything... phone book/dial/handsfree via Bluetooth and full audio output via the iPhone connector (not the Y cable).

But if you dont always get 5 bars and are tired of putting the iPhone on the dashboard for better signal, this adapter could be worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

If you don't have 6NF smart phone integration option, is this option that can be installed by the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #30
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

This thread is confusing for a 08 owner! If I have a 2008 e92 and dont have the usb option, and buy the iphone dock listed on the BMW accessory page (84 10 9 182 793), does it do anything besides charge and provide reception? Is there a way to get audio into iDrive via the headphone jack with the adapter?!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #31
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaron View Post
I picked up a cradle for my 2G iPhone this week. At first, I thought they gave me the older version cradle because I couldn't get the iDrive to recognize the iPhone as a music source. I had my 'Y' cable plugged into the USB port with NO iPod attached, so I removed the cable and tried again. Sure enough, the iPhone was then recognized and I could play music without problems. So, a word of warning, you must unplug the 'Y' cable before your iPhone will be recognized even if no iPod is connected. This may be obvious, but it wasn't to me at first.

While I am happy with the cradle, I have NOT noticed any improvement in reception. If you are looking for improved reception you may be disappointed.
I don't get any noticeable reception improvement with the cradle. I do like the cradle though and how it holds the phone for me. I do find myself forgetting the phone, remembering it about 2 minutes after I walk away from the car. I think I need two iPhones....one for my pocket and one permanently in the car....he he Maybe a phone alarm when I open the driver's door to remind to take the phone?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #32
RAWPOWR
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 E92 M3 6MT

I just got an iphone 3gs 32GB and was reading about various compatability issues with various model years, mostly on e90 post. Some don't charge, some don't play, etc. I have a 2008 E92 M3 Coupe and everything seems fine in my car, I can charge it, play music, and take calls via bluetooth.

Sorry, don't know much about the bottom line of the issues, but I Probably just got lucky? What exactly is the smartphone integration option? Is that just the cradle or do you need that for the iphone (and others) to work now? When I got my car, I don't think that was avaialable yet.
Appreciate 0