BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Grits-N-Gravy
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

E93 M3 Power Loss - Legal Concern

Hello Everyone, apologies on posting this both here in the general thread, and in the M section, as I was unsure where to post...I will be bringing up this issue with BMW NA and the dealership in person tomorrow morning again, per my Fiancee pushing me to bring it up (she is a lawyer).

I have a 2011 E93 M3, and have been without my car now for 2 months, as it is still at the dealership. Was hoping you could all share some advice, or possibly anyone here has been through this...

So the issue started a couple of months ago where I would be driving the car all fine, and then when I parked it whether home, or at gym, I would come out to find my car completely dead, no power to unlock, nothing worked, I had to open the car with the actual key, and only driver side worked. The alarm on the car would however go off, and keep going off until dead (I hear its on a diff power module). I tried to jump the car, no luck. And at first it would do this and be dead for a couple of hours, or overnight, to be fine the next day. Rain was not a factor as it did it in times when it rained or times it didn't rain. My initial reach-out to BMW was answered with we cant fix until its broken, and BMW NA said the recall for this type of issue of car turning off is on 3 series cars, and not the M class, yours is different, although same issues...

The last time it happened, it was completely dead for days, and I had to have it towed in. That was over 2 months ago. I have a 3rd party warranty (Carchex), and the dealer told me "good news, they have approved everything". And said they had to replace the alternator and battery (the battery was replaced 4 months prior as well..). Then it took longer than usual, as he said they messed up computer or something, and had to wait on replacement parts for the computer module... This would have been fine, until I just found out recently when contacting my warranty for reimbursement on a rental while I waited for a loaner, and they told me that BMW NEVER contacted them, and only had anything on file for me when I called the tow.

So my car was fixed, but once I got my car back, it had internal damage, and external damage, and things of mine had been not returned with the car. I called them up and they apologized and have had my car for now another 3 weeks and have done ANYTHING and EVERYTHING under the sun for me, which seems to be trying to cover the car up, all free of charge for "my trouble". This includes re-painting the car, new exhaust (M Perfromance $4,000 retail on site), mirrors replaced with Carbon fiber, new matts, GPS update, interior parts replaced and the list goes on...

Thanks for reading all that, and I welcome any thoughts/experience/suggestions anyone has. After looking up past car issues I am concerned of it shutting off in future on me while driving, lighting on fire etc, and my "Legal counsel" and others have said to bring it up with BMW and if anything request a new car, regardless of the work they have put in to it.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I want to know what happened to the car. Would i still want it? Is the work the dealer did adequate compensation? Is the damage detectable by a pro with paint gauge such that resale value is reduced?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
trustbran
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I want to know what happened to the car. Would i still want it? Is the work the dealer did adequate compensation? Is the damage detectable by a pro with paint gauge such that resale value is reduced?
Exactly, I will demand to know what happened, but even if they claim to tell you everything now you will never know and that would drive me insane .....

Good luck with that Stealership!

-Brandon
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
Grits-N-Gravy
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustbran View Post
Exactly, I will demand to know what happened, but even if they claim to tell you everything now you will never know and that would drive me insane .....

Good luck with that Stealership!

-Brandon
Thanks guys, will update on what happens. Spoke with BMW NA earlier, who is contacting the dealer and notifying BMW NA 'highers', and I am going in to speak with the dealer tomorrow.

Hope all is well on your ends!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:46 AM   #5
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I'm aware of someone (not a BMW) who had a car that would continually shut down whilst driving and the manufacturer (or dealer, can't remember) bought it back from them at full cost.

Sounds like you also need to find a new workshop
Appreciate 0