BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

11-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #45
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Agreed! These fuggers are so money hungry it's sickening! We already are being bent over with these lame ass scaled back internet speeds. I have friends in Europe and Asia that laugh at the speeds and prices we pay here.
Def tru dat. I thought google was going to fix this for us then they go off on this stupid alphabet challenge and only give Dorthy in Kansas a 1 gig link... damn it

Living in nyc i just want to see verizon go to hell in flames. They own like 95% of the fiber and copper in the city.....
      11-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #46
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Jesus try Canada. Unless you are nazi like in watching your bill it gets INSANE. If you're not careful you will pay $150 month for 5MB internet and stripped bare basic cable.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #47
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I would love to leave a comment, but everyone's already said what I would say:

3D is\was a fad\joke.
Smart TV's are only good for people who really need them, I don't.
4K content isn't there and is a long way off. The benefits are also questionable.
OLED and Plasma > Everything else
Pioneer = Best Plasma TV's Ever Made (I grabbed the last non-Smart TV Samsung I could last year)
Content Providers suck ass across the board and rape you.

I am just waiting for the 65" OLED to come down in price and then I'm all over it. The Samsung plasma I bought last year was so I could have a "good TV" in the bedroom when the OLED I want gets to the price I want to pay.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #48
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

The key to 4k is all fiber. If all companies go to all fiber, you'll be on your way, but still not there. Companies throttle down bandwidth CONSTANTLY because they are cheap.

Even the "720p" and "1080i" signals we currently received are still compressed to holy hell. Ever wonder why some NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL games look better than others? It depends on how much the signal is being compressed by the network and your provider.

Sometimes they are so pixelated, they are nearly unwatchable.

If you get a local game via an OTA antenna on NBC or something, you'll usually see a better picture. Still, the network can compress the signal and it will look like utter crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #49
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Here's the thing, I know a little about colour and am also aware that many screens (TV, PC screens, phones etc) are far too blue by default. HOWEVER, EVERY SINGLE calibration I have seen in INSANELY warm, just crazy warm, that warmth may be correct in terms of working towards a neutral grey but in reality it looks absolute shite.
I guess you didn't see one calibrated by the right person. My Pioneer 141FD has the most accurate picture I've seen on a TV. I had Dewayne, D-Nice, from AVS Forum fame calibrate both my Pioneer screens. He spent 4 hours doing my 141FD.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #50
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I guess you didn't see one calibrated by the right person. My Pioneer 141FD has the most accurate picture I've seen on a TV. I had Dewayne, D-Nice, from AVS Forum fame calibrate both my Pioneer screens. He spent 4 hours doing my 141FD.
Sadly Pioneer has stopped the production of their screens .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #51
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
No gimmicks bruh. 4k is actually more of a "gimmick" than HDR. May want to research it a lil more before making such a broad sweeping comment.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/feat...-hdr-4k-uhd-tv

Now if you don't require the "best of the best" then there are plenty of good and solid options available still.

I worked in the video equipment industry, and I can tell you from a technology and engineering side of things, 3D and 4K were not worth the time and money spent. 3D was stupid because there is not a good solution which did require the use of glasses and people do not want to wear glasses. 4K most people can not even notice the difference. Hell when HD came out for 5+ years before cable companies put in the equipment which my company made to allow broadcast quality HD most people thought they were watching HD just because the TV supported it.

To your point HDR is really the next step in video, It something people can see immediately, the current backbone equipment can support it, the problem was the TV guys focused on bigger and more bits than increasing the dynamic range of the screens.

The problem is the people who review this stuff do not always know the engineering behind the technology. Most companies who make this stuff will not come out and tell the whole story, why, they are in the business of selling you stuff, and they told you what they are selling to day makes no difference then you would pony up money to buy it.

Most companies and their engineers make all kinds of trade off to get a product out the door, most time it is just good enough and you hope people buy into this.

To give you an example, I worked for the company who developed Directv digital compression and decompression technology. Back in 93 through 95 we were testing our system ability to support HD content. We had a $40K Sony prototype 27" TV in our lab, when you looked at the content as compare to what you could see on regular TV at the time it was a huge difference. But we had to feed digital data directly from a laser disc to the system to make a difference. DirecTV's system since the late 90's supported HD, but there was no clean digital HD content to the 2000's and affordable TV did not come to around 2003 and the DTV STB for HD did not come to around 2005, it was 10 yrs later when you could actual see what I saw for the first time in 95. Around 2000 the first HD TV were on the market and cable companies equipment could not support them until around 2007, DTV was the first to fully support HD.

Fast forward to today, non of the cable companies can support 4K and will not for years to come. Yes Netflix supports 4K but your network coming to your house it the limiting factor. Plus the 4K content on Netflix is highly compressed so the image quality is no better than HD today at full bandwidth. The only way today to see true full bandwidth 4K is to have a Blueray player which support 4K and having content which was recorded in 4K.

Believe it or not you biggest source of 4K comes from Go-pros and the new Iphone 6S.

If you are going to make an investment HDR is better you will see an immediate benefit and it does not require equipment outside your home to be upgraded. There are other technologies in the video delivery systems which do not require more bandwidth to work and gives you a better viewing experience. From a technology side, more bandwidth and more pixels are not the answer since your eyes and brain can not determine the difference, we have max out the human bodies limits at this point.

Last edited by Maestro; 11-16-2015 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #52
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I remeember when these flat screen tv's came out and as i said, I really knew NOTHING but i knew they looked absolute shit. I had no idea what HD was or wasn't etc, all i knew was that it looked shit.

Turns out it was SD content that was playing, so i waited until 2009 before i went flatscreen so i could enjoy HD.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #53
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Same thing is happening in the digital camera world.

Megapixels don't matter any more. Every camera has way more than necessary. Kind of like having 40" 4k TVs. Who cares.

Low light (not applicable to TV) is still important.

But more recently dynamic range is where high end cameras are beginning to separate themselves from the pack. Newer cameras with a wider dynamic range will be able to produce high contrast pictures not possible before outside of stacking multiple images together.

The human eye still blows digital technology out of the water when it comes to dynamic range. There is a lot of room for improvement here.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #54
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Fast forward to today, non of the cable companies can support 4K and will not for years to come. Yes Netflix supports 4K but your network coming to your house it the limiting factor. Plus the 4K content on Netflix is highly compressed so the image quality is no better than HD today at full bandwidth. The only way today to see true full bandwidth 4K is to have a Blueray player which support 4K and having content which was recorded in 4K.
God, yes, THIS! People don't understand how compression works and what it does to picture quality. So these stupid providers like NetFlix and DTV are pushing this utter bullshit that they offer 4K content when, in fact, the compression doesn't actually push FULL 4K to the consumer at all. So all these idiots roam around telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about when I say 4K is a gimmick and full content support for it is a LONG way off. Good God, just try explaining bandwidth to these so-called "techie", Luddite, marketing-gimmick-buying-stupid-asses and their heads just explode as they're walking off hee-hawing like the donkeys they are. This is the same as trying to explain to some asshat who just bought an "LED TV" that his TV isn't actually an "LED TV" and that it's just an LCD backlit by LED's.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #55
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I upgraded to the F8500 plasma this past year. I researched for days before I finally decided to go with the best 1080p set available. The picture quality is amazing, but the center buzz is super annoying. Luckily, I only hear it when I'm standing up since it's apparently not a problem for Samsung.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #56
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

The one place I can see 4k being useful is PC gamming. 4K monitors allow for huge amount of detail in gaming but also require an expensive rig to run.
      11-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #57
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
God, yes, THIS! People don't understand how compression works and what it does to picture quality. So these stupid providers like NetFlix and DTV are pushing this utter bullshit that they offer 4K content when, in fact, the compression doesn't actually push FULL 4K to the consumer at all. So all these idiots roam around telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about when I say 4K is a gimmick and full content support for it is a LONG way off. Good God, just try explaining bandwidth to these so-called "techie", Luddite, marketing-gimmick-buying-stupid-asses and their heads just explode as they're walking off hee-hawing like the donkeys they are. This is the same as trying to explain to some asshat who just bought an "LED TV" that his TV isn't actually an "LED TV" and that it's just an LCD backlit by LED's.
Yeah I remember walking into the wall of TV store and having the guy explain that each pixel was an LED. I kept asking him was he absolutely sure about that.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #58
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
No gimmicks bruh. 4k is actually more of a "gimmick" than HDR. May want to research it a lil more before making such a broad sweeping comment.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/feat...-hdr-4k-uhd-tv

Now if you don't require the "best of the best" then there are plenty of good and solid options available still.
The bottom line is that the picture quality (which is really only as strong a units black levels) had not yet eclipsed what I have on my 2011 Panasonic plasma until OLED was rolled out. I'm not willing to pay what they're currently asking so I'm waiting until pricing settles down. I sit about 14' from the screen and my set is only 50" so needless to say I really want this price adjustment to occur soon.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #59
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Agreed! These fuggers are so money hungry it's sickening! We already are being bent over with these lame ass scaled back internet speeds. I have friends in Europe and Asia that laugh at the speeds and prices we pay here.
Which of them is getting service from a company that is not largely if not completely government owned? IOW their taxes are subsidizing their internet speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Def tru dat. I thought google was going to fix this for us then they go off on this stupid alphabet challenge and only give Dorthy in Kansas a 1 gig link... damn it
Gigabit is being offered in other places by other entities, one of which is big-bad Comcast. They still need fiber to get it to you but that is changing quickly. Do some research on DOCSIS 3.1 to see what I mean.

I once heard a guy say "people won't ever have enough bandwidth, even when they can say 'beam me up Scotty' and have it work." He was right. These days sufficient bandwidth isn't just an advantage, it is becoming a necessity. Building out the infrastructure to deliver it in the US is being funded all but 100% by private industry. That's not the case in most other countries, particularly those with higher speeds than the US.

Back to TVs. We bought a Sony Sony XBR-55HX950 2 years ago. Price was high but the picture quality was so much more realistic than the stuff in the big box stores. It still delivers stunning color, as well as a very very wide viewing angle. I have no complaints whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #60
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I am no videophile BUT I did buy the last of the last of the Panasonic Plasma's, hardly a boutique item but the image quality in a dark room is superb.
Yep, those Panny's are awesome.
I was able to find a local distributor on craigslist that was selling some of the last Samsung 65" plasmas for $650.
So worth it.
      11-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #61
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

still waiting for a reason to upgrade from my 101fd kuro elite.

the lg oled is impressive, but not enough of an upgrade for me. pionner 9.5gen plasma display technology is the standard for pq. imo.
      11-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #62
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Still keep my Pioneer-Kuro ,when I see others my Pioneer quality image is jaw dropping .
This man, my man.

I have a 55" Kuro, wish I would have gotten a 65" too. Such a beautiful monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsig View Post
Yep, those Panny's are awesome.
I was able to find a local distributor on craigslist that was selling some of the last Samsung 65" plasmas for $650.
So worth it.
Such a disappointment when Panasonic announced the end of their plasma group.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #63
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

I've been looking for a TV to replace my 65" Sony XBR 950B for the last year. I want something bigger in the 75" to 85" range.

I don't care about 4K (Most of my content is 720p /1080i or worse and I still get some channels in SD only)
I don't care about curved TV's
I don't care about 3D

Seems like there are quite a few in this thread who feel the same way.

I'd pay top dollar for a 75" to 85" 1080p screen with the latest tech. No frills, no giant speakers on the side. Just a high quality screen.

Seems like manufacturers would sell them like hot cakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #64
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Sadly Pioneer has stopped the production of their screens .
Here's an interview of Josh Kairoff former director of display engineering at Pioneer.

https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/13

He discusses some aspects of what makes a good TV and goes into partially why Kuros were and are such a special TV. One of the things he brings up and has repeated in another interview (whether to 4k or not to 4k....
) is the human eye is very sensitive towards contrast levels which trumps the emphasis over the higher the resolution the better.

Both interviews get very technical so be prepared.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #65
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
still waiting for a reason to upgrade from my 101fd kuro elite.

the lg oled is impressive, but not enough of an upgrade for me. pionner 9.5gen plasma display technology is the standard for pq. imo.
And you have good reason to cherish that 101FD. Your statemetn of it being a 9.5 Gen is correct. The 101FD and the KRP 500M sets were very special as these had the glass which produced even deeper black levels than the rest of the 9G line; if one can imagine having deeper black levels than what a 9G can produce.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #66
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Way would anybody even bother buying 4k at this point how many channels get broadcasted in 4k. its waste of money IMO
Appreciate 0