BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

06-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
///Armin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Custom radar & laser install

Went with Beltronics STiR Plus instead of Passport 9500ci for radar and Laser Interceptor for the laser jammer. The STiR plus is the same exact hardware without the laser shifters so you save a few hundred if you are getting your own laser jammers.

Very happy with the install, they were recommended by Passport and seem to know what they are doing. Talk to Gary, tell him Armin with the X5 sent you.

Hurley's Auto Audio
1524 Spring Hill Rd # Dd,
McLean, VA
(703) 790-8744

The radar detector is absolutely amazing, I was so tired of my V1 with false alarms. This thing even warns you of red light and speed cameras with voice before approaching. False alarms are down to 20%!

Last edited by ///Armin; 06-20-2011 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
very nice, and very clean!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Inerrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 BMW M3 E93

Very clean! About how much did that run you and how long did the install take?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

how much did it cost, parts and labor?

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Aren't these detectable by the Po-lice?
What happs if they stop you and tell you, you're using one?
Would love to have one
      06-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
///Armin
First Lieutenant
Rep

$1600 ($1798 on website but if you call he will give a discount) for both the detector and jammer kit:

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/901.html

Another $600 for the install

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Would love to have one
Not these, they are top of the line, I have had V1 and another jammer for about 10 years and don't have a single speeding ticket. The only tickets I got are when the cop is under cover and driving on the same road

They have saved me so many times. Just two weeks ago I got hit by laser in 267 toll road coming back from DC late night with my other system. I can't imagine not having the combo in the VA area.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Armin View Post
$1600 ($1798 on website but if you call he will give a discount) for both the detector and jammer kit:

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/901.html

Another $600 for the install

Not these, they are top of the line, I have had V1 and another jammer for about 10 years and don't have a single speeding ticket. The only tickets I got are when the cop is under cover and driving on the same road

They have saved me so many times. Just two weeks ago I got hit by laser in 267 toll road coming back from DC late night with my other system. I can't imagine not having the combo in the VA area.
Where were you 2 reckless, and one speeding ticket ago?
      07-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
z33r
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
very nice, and very clean!
+1

is that the LI HP DUAL or LI DUAL?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #9
GOVCO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 AW M3 DCT [Slight Mods]

Clean install. I have been looking into these kits. Do you know how this stacks up against the K40 (http://www.k40.com/)?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOVCO View Post
Clean install. I have been looking into these kits. Do you know how this stacks up against the K40 (http://www.k40.com/)?
I was going to research
Laser Elite LE-X4 Quad transponder kit

http://www.laserjammertests.com/apps...s/show/2371489

Blinder or Laser interceptor.

I got hit by laser 3 times (only have a v1) once the the greenway, once on rt 7 near bluemont and once on FFX Prkwy.

Also two of my buddies got hit w/ laser this weekend one on 395 north bound at the shirlington exit (shot him in the rear) and one on 66 while pacing from the back. ( the guy who shot from the back actually fired twice even though he was only doing 65 and pulled him over and said he saw his v1 go off!

but i also hear nothing on the market can jam laser ally yet.

checkout these videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/dragoneyetech

Last edited by novablackm3; 07-25-2011 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post
I was going to research

I got hit by laser 3 times (only have a v1) once the the greenway, once on rt 7 near bluemont and once on FFX Prkwy.

Also two of my buddies got hit w/ laser this weekend one on 395 north bound at the shirlington exit (shot him in the rear) and one on 66 while pacing from the back. ( the guy who shot from the back actually fired twice even though he was only doing 65 and pulled him over and said he saw his v1 go off!

I didn't think that they could shoot laser while moving?

I don't know that there is much that can be done to beat laser. I was under the impression that the shifters just caused the device to report back a wildly inaccurate speed reading. I always figured if that happened they'd bust you using "visual speed estimation".

I had a V1 in my car for a while but found I got more false alarms than actual alerts. I finally gave up on it and took it out of the car because it seemed like most cops (at least in MD) either pace you in traffic or use laser and the V1 can't do much against those methods.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
novablackm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post

I don't know that there is much that can be done to beat laser. I was under the impression that the shifters just caused the device to report back a wildly inaccurate speed reading. I always figured if that happened they'd bust you using "visual speed estimation".

I had a V1 in my car for a while but found I got more false alarms than actual alerts. I finally gave up on it and took it out of the car because it seemed like most cops (at least in MD) either pace you in traffic or use laser and the V1 can't do much against those methods.
they can shoot laser when ever they want. recommended not to but they can.

I'm also researching w/ a few police friends to see if they are using laser ally in VA. if they are no point in laser jammer around nova.
      07-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #13
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:
they can shoot laser when ever they want. recommended not to but they can.

I'm also researching w/ a few police friends to see if they are using laser ally in VA. if they are no point in laser jammer around nova.
Good to know. I was under the impression that the system didn't work while moving, but that was something I heard years ago. So either it was bad info or the systems have gotten better.

I usually like having my radar detector but I've pretty much resigned myself that not much can be done to defeat laser.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
novablackm3
Captain
Rep

ended up buying 2 laser interceptor 's from radarbusters.com call them and they'll cut you a deal for 10% off + discounted shipping (next day) or use code radarroy directly from the web.

hopefully i can get it installed tomorrow or Saturday on both cars

for the x5m planning on installing in the same spot as armin behind the grill except will cut it out so its not obstructed. trim is 45 bucks new.

Last edited by novablackm3; 07-28-2011 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK

Personally, I like the v1 better for a radar dectector. Still have my lidatek for laser jamming. I pull the plug on the v1 when in VA. for those still using the v1, aren't they detectable by the cops?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Very clean install! Glad to see you're happy with your 9500ci! I've heard great things and I agree it must be great to cut down on false alarms, be able to track where those false positives register and block them for future trips.

Only thing preventing me is that I REALLY love the cordless design of my Solo S2... Don't know if I want to go hardwired...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
novablackm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayos View Post
Personally, I like the v1 better for a radar dectector. Still have my lidatek for laser jamming. I pull the plug on the v1 when in VA. for those still using the v1, aren't they detectable by the cops?
v1 is detectable by spectre 4 but don't think fairfax / northern va uses them. v1 however is vg-2 immune (damn old)

I'm getting both my x5m/m3 done @ Hurley's this thursday will let you guys know.

Last edited by novablackm3; 08-01-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
///Armin
First Lieutenant
Rep

I contacted Cliff with Laser Interceptor regarding the video you posted:

Hi Armin,

Yes, the LI JAMS the Laser Ally. Notice who that VID is from! The maker of the Laser Ally! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #19
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Would love to have one
No, the STI-R+ is not detectable except by eyesight and if installed intelligently the chances of that happening are minimum. If they somehow stop you for it you get a fine, but much less than a speeding ticket. They usually do not take your detector away anymore.

A jammer is usually easier to spot if you know what to look for. However, there is no electronic jammer detector as there is for a detector (i.e. a radar-detector-detector). The Spectre RDD only works against a radar detector, not a laser jammer.

Cheers.

Last edited by ersin; 08-03-2011 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was going to research

checkout these videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/dragoneyetech
Do a little research. The LI is still superior IMHO. And the LI can jam the laser ally. Don't let dragoneye know though -- he'll be butthurt.

Cheers.
      08-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #21
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They can't. If you've ever operated one it will become apparent to you why. The beam must be aimed with a steady hand; like a gun. You cannot do this while driving (except in the movies). Radar, OTOH, can be used while moving.

Quote:
Jammers do work. But first, you must get a good one. The best is currently the Laser Interceptor. Second, it must be installed correctly -- perfectly level and pointing straight ahead (or behind in case of rear) with a clear view of the road. Third, after taking great pains to level and align the jammer heads, it must be tested against a genuine police lidar gun and the installation fine tuned to maximize performance. Fourth, learn to use it correctly. This generally means favoring JTK over JTG. Research these terms if you don't know what they mean. But before making the decision to use jammers remember that they are illegal in VA.

BTW, the lidar unit does not show a "wildly inaccurate speed reading". What happens is that it becomes very hard to get a lock on the speed and it just won't show up. Some lidar guns have circuitry to detect if they are being jammed and will report this with a "jam code". However, they occasionally report jamming even in bad conditions, like from sun reflections, so the LEO cannot always be sure that they are really being jammed. This why JTK works. See above.

Quote:
For V1 use in this area turn X-band off and set K-band automute to 30 seconds. Then using "l" or "L" modes the V1 will be very silent and any alerts you get should be considered legit.

Also, the V1, unlike every other detector, can actually help against laser. It is sensitive enough to pick up laser scatter from vehicles being targeted ahead. It is not a surefire thing nearly as much as a jammer, but I've been saved by it more than a couple of times. However, it seems as though laser has fallen out of favor as a speed measuring technique as it is not used nearly as much as it used to.

No detector will save you from pacing. Only your own vigilance and intelligence will. In fact, you should never rely on detectors completely to save you from tickets; only use them as a tool for what they can do.

Hope all of this helps.

Cheers.

Last edited by ersin; 08-03-2011 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #22
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayos View Post
Yes, the V1 is detectable by the Spectre. It is immune to the VG-2 RDD, but so is practically every other detector sold today. I doubt any police are using the VG-2 anymore. The Spectre is used in VA, but not every LEO has one.

Last edited by ersin; 08-03-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0