BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

The CSL

Why does the M3 CSL get so discussed so much on this forum? Few of us have ever even seen one in person, and even fewer could actually afford one or justify paying the expense for one (or, rather, would not seriously consider other cars if we could).

Will the new CSL be made in greater numbers, for more than one model year, and perhaps make it to the US? Maybe to all of those. But until we know for sure, the CSL can't really be pointed to as BMW's answer to the fact that the new M3 has gotten softer (if you agree that it has) and focuses on a more mainstream buyer (if you think it does).

To me the CSL is not really an attainable car. Its a car all of us would love to drive, sure. But I think few of us would genuinely consider buying one. Maybe I am wrong though. If BMW announced tommorow that a track-ready CSL was headed to our shores for $80k, who would run out an put a deposit on one? Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
03SG///M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Why does the M3 CSL get so discussed so much on this forum? Few of us have ever even seen one in person, and even fewer could actually afford one or justify paying the expense for one (or, rather, would not seriously consider other cars if we could).

Will the new CSL be made in greater numbers, for more than one model year, and perhaps make it to the US? Maybe to all of those. But until we know for sure, the CSL can't really be pointed to as BMW's answer to the fact that the new M3 has gotten softer (if you agree that it has) and focuses on a more mainstream buyer (if you think it does).

To me the CSL is not really an attainable car. Its a car all of us would love to drive, sure. But I think few of us would genuinely consider buying one. Maybe I am wrong though. If BMW announced tommorow that a track-ready CSL was headed to our shores for $80k, who would run out an put a deposit on one? Anyone?
If i could afford to spend $95k+ on a car and the CSL was available in the US, there is no other car i would rather have. That's just me... I love BMW's and especially M3's.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:

Yesterday, Scott26 confirmed that the E92 CSL is NOT making it to the US. Regardless, it is fun to talk about. It provides a context to discuss the base E92 M3's performance. Yeah, the E46CSL was way too expensive, but have you seen the video reviews of that car. You can clearly "feel" the difference. Just imagine what it would be like to drive one! My guess is that you might think differently about the price if you had a chance to drive one.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Becksgold
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

As far as I know the CSL was a flop in England... many were left at dealers and offered at vastly reduced prices....65000 GBP!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksgold View Post
As far as I know the CSL was a flop in England... many were left at dealers and offered at vastly reduced prices....65000 GBP!!!
Interesting. What's also interesting is that there have been a few UK posters who are on E92 M3 waitlists saying they were contacted way early by their dealers. The dealers reportedly told them that people were falling off the lists very quickly. I am wondering if that's an indication that BMW might have overpriced the M3 in the UK as well as the CSL. What contradicts that info is Scott26 saying that most European allocations were already SOLD. I don't know what he means by sold; if he's simply referring to people putting deposits down, as can indicated by the UK reports, that doesn't mean a whole lot...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksgold View Post
I heard about this too...

With Lucid's recent post about M5's and 6's sitting on dealer lots for nearly a year it would seem that BMW may have a reason for not bringing the E92 CSL to our shores.....

That being said I remember there was a time you could import a car gray market into the U.S. I wonder if you still can and did anyone do this with the E46 CSL???
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
That being said I remember there was a time you could import a car gray market into the U.S. I wonder if you still can and did anyone do this with the E46 CSL???
I suspect you can still do this, but I am not sure. Probably would be a pain in the ass to get it done though. Hell, you can build your own vehicle and get that certified somehow without crash testing the only existing copy!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

I loved my CSL and will be getting the next one.

See this link bellow, 220Kph in a 60Kph zone in the wet. Yes I know its wrong.

Small clip taken by a friend (cell phone):

08-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
I loved my CSL and will be getting the next one.

Small clip taken by a friend (cell phone):

Did you have the CSL for a resonably long time, say 1 year? If so, did you ever wish it had a manual tranny?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Did you have the CSL for a resonably long time, say 1 year? If so, did you ever wish it had a manual tranny?
About 18 months. I loved the SMG. I had manual on my 1st E46, I am one of the few that actualy prefers SMG.
      08-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
About 18 months. I loved the SMG. I had manual on my 1st E46, I am one of the few that actualy prefers SMG.
Thanks.

Epacy, you hear that? The man says he really liked it, and would take it over the manual, and he has owned Ms with both...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
If this true, then there is nothing big or clever here, especially with the traction control off in the rain. However it doesn't look like it gets anywhere near 220 km/h.

This sort of stuff gives car enthusiasts a bad name.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Quote:

First, I don't really think this forum talks about the CSL in any sort of excess. It's brought up occasionally, but that's it.

As for whether or not I'd buy one for $80k? Hell mfin' yes, I would. But, unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it'll be coming to the US. This thing has the potential to be an amazing car. A possible GT3 killer. If they can shave 300-400lbs and a slight power increase, suspension, steering, and brake adjustment will put this thing in some supercar territory.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #14
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Anyone up for a speculative E92 CSL photoshop????
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

The CSL was £58,405 in the UK, not £65k.

Still, there weren't enough people who wanted the rawness and those that wanted the badge largely added all the comforts back in. A basic CSL is probably very, very rare. Mores the pity.
      08-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #16
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB Nevada View Post
How come the USA always miss out on the groovy models FFS im fed up with it, No csl, this time or last tiome, euro spec RS4 USA sucks
It's because we pay so much less than the Europeans. See newspaper article below from the achieves for more info.
Attached Images

Last edited by lucid; 08-23-2007 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #17
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BWAH HAHA! That's some funny shite.

Where did you get that?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

I made it up dude. Took me 5 minutes.

http://www.fodey.com/generators/newspaper/snippet.asp
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #19
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Thats awesome! lol Nice trick.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Well done!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #21
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Hot off the press. How did we miss it till Friday?
Attached Images

08-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Hot off the press. How did we miss it till Friday?
It's official!!! Thanks for this great piece of news Epacy! Walking my deposit over to the dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0