BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #45
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

this has been extremely helpful thank you. yes my stock E46 ride was harsh, when i put in the JRZ it transformed the car and gave it a better ride but handled better. i guess i would look something towards that but may not happen

what you have for a setup sounds about right. and with the 18 inch track wheels it all makes sense now. the poor guys get 19's bc they can use one set for both lol

thanks alot

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
Ride quality depends on the shock settings but when set at 0 compression and 1 rebound (out of 7 settings for both) the ride is slightly firmer than the normal EDC setting. Yes you feel more imperfections in the road but the bumps/dips are very soft. My stock E46 M3 rode a lot worse than this setup. Also, this setup passes the wife test and as I've said before she's impressed by the setup to the point where she was bragging to her 80 something parents who could give a shit about suspensions. So the actual trade-off of improvement in handling vs. degradation in ride quality is very good.

As far as the 20" wheels are concerned - I bought this suspension setup primarily for improvement in track performance where I run 18" wheels. On the street I honestly can not feel much in the way of reduction in handling or balance of the car. I was really worried about going with a 255/295 tire combo as far as increasing understeer but it honestly made very little difference. Also, the Volk G2's are pretty lightweight for a 20" wheel so I would assume that helps some. I agree 20" wheels are not optimal for handling/ride quality but I like the look....

One important caveat, I am having some noise coming from the rear shocks especially on a bumpy surface at slow speeds. It's not noticeable if you're listening to the radio or have the windows down. The noise diminishes as you increase the rebound stiffness. I've been in contact with Moton and they have been very apologetic and are working on a solution. Basically they are doing a redesign of the dampers and have promised to provide replacements. I didn't act like it was a huge deal because I was so happy with the handling improvement that a little noise was a minor IMO. But the the guys at Moton have been super responsive and I'm expecting a fix pretty quickly.

Thanks!
BC
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #46
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i just don't see where the BMW warranty is voided?? i don't want to drag this into something else and this is the last post of this crap bc i know what works but if you have some info that it voids it please show me. i don't mean stroker motor as that is a diff motor but that has its own 4/50 i mean the reg mods

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
Your BMW warranty is voided. You supposedly get a Dinan warranty and some people say it works some people say it doesn't I can't comment as I never bought anything fron Dinan never have probably never will. If the warranty works then great its the least they could do for those high prices.

Yes my car did blow, it cracked a piston ring due to a bad map (I was the first with that setup) . It is being repaired and the cost is absorbed by G-power. G-power will cover your car if you get it installed at a Authorized Dealer like Autotalent.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #47
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
from the man with the blown engine
Yes, you are ignorant. You are sitting here calling me out like I purposely blew my motor. It wasn't the drivers fault, you don't know shit. My car was on the dyno when it blew, it had the wrong software on it. It had the Stage 3 software and I have stage 2. It has nothing to do with me, Gpower already took fault and they are repairing my motor.

I doubt if the tables turned and it was your car being down right now, I'm almost positive you wouldn't want stupid little remarks like that.

It's people like you who make me want to sell my m3.
      10-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #48
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
Yes, you are ignorant. You are sitting here calling me out like I purposely blew my motor. It wasn't the drivers fault, you don't know shit. My car was on the dyno when it blew, it had the wrong software on it. It had the Stage 3 software and I have stage 2. It has nothing to do with me, Gpower already took fault and they are repairing my motor.

I doubt if the tables turned and it was your car being down right now, I'm almost positive you wouldn't want stupid little remarks like that.

It's people like you who make me want to sell my m3.
I didn't blame you.... And if you stopped crying and read the rest of my post on this thread you would see I was just adding a little sarcasm and joking around (which I stated in those words).... Apparently it's too sore of a subject for you.

Hilarious though that my remarks would make you want to sell your M3
      10-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #49
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
I didn't blame you.... And if you stopped crying and read the rest of my post on this thread you would see I was just adding a little sarcasm and joking around (which I stated in those words).... Apparently it's too sore of a subject for you.

No ones crying. I don't see how a blown motor can be a joke, I doubt anyone else does except you. I want to see you drop over $15k and then someone sit here and say stupid ass comments over your purchase.

It's not about your childish remarks, it's the fact that some m3 owners are so stupid that I don't even want to bother anymore.
      10-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #50
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

For the op... I think it depends on who you are. If you are the type to go FI then by all means go for it, since you are almost there with the money.

On the flip side, you can't go wrong with most of the bolt ons.

As for a flash/tune I think there is some risk... considering that potentially you can void your warranty in the future if there is something defective with your car.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #51
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No ones crying. I don't see how a blown motor can be a joke, I doubt anyone else does except you. I want to see you drop over $15k and then someone sit here and say stupid ass comments over your purchase.

It's not about your childish remarks, it's the fact that some m3 owners are so stupid that I don't even want to bother anymore.
First off, no one called you out, I didn't name any names or insult anybody for buying it. I just stated it was an expensive option.... you entered this thread on your own by directing a personal attack at me. All I said/inferred was G Power SC's blew engines... Secondly there's a reason I chose not to put a SC on my car... I know the risks involved.

It was just a little sarcasm about purchasing a SC... If that little remark on the internet makes you want to sell your M3 and not be associated anymore, then by all means sell it. But if I were you I'd try not to be so overly sensitive to what's posted on the internet
      10-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #52
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Wouldn't it be a sore subject for you as well? Quit being a dick to a guy who spent lots of money to be one of the pioneers of F/I for the e92 M3. No reason to rub salt in the wound for your entertainment
      10-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #53
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
Rumor has it there will be a low cost entry level Supercharger for the E9X M3 very soon that makes nice power
What does low cost entry level mean to you? I see $4000 kits for 350Zs and G35s. That is low cost to me.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #54
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
Wouldn't it be a sore subject for you as well? Quit being a dick to a guy who spent lots of money to be one of the pioneers of F/I for the e92 M3. No reason to rub salt in the wound for your entertainment
      10-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #55
335ICoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
What does low cost entry level mean to you? I see $4000 kits for 350Zs and G35s. That is low cost to me.
When I had my S2k that's was also the price-range...not sure its going to happen after the "BMW tax" but it would be .
      10-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #56
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yes that would be awesome, unfortantly i don't think it will happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ICoupe View Post
When I had my S2k that's was also the price-range...not sure its going to happen after the "BMW tax" but it would be .
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #57
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i just don't see where the BMW warranty is voided?? i don't want to drag this into something else and this is the last post of this crap bc i know what works but if you have some info that it voids it please show me. i don't mean stroker motor as that is a diff motor but that has its own 4/50 i mean the reg mods

thank you
Dude, putting Dinan on your car has ALWAYS voided your BMW warranty. Dinan claims they will pick up the warranty, but will they? There have been a few 335 guys who have had problems with Dinan's warranty.

It goes something like this: A part breaks and you take it to the dealer, who say's it due to the Dinan part/tune. You'll have to talk with Dinan. So you go to Dinan, and they say, "our part/tune has nothing to do with that failure." We can't help you out. This has actually HAPPENED to people.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 10-02-2009 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #58
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

hmm that is funny it has been quite the opposite with me. with both my Dinan S2 M3 and my Dinan S2 M5 i have never had a problem and BMW was the one who fixed everything not dinan. only once i had a dinan issue and it was a seal on my diff and i had it fixed and replaced in a couple days. if it was a dinan issue the bmw dealer would of never fixed it and sent me to the dinan dealer.

i won't argue with you, maybe that did happen to people and that sucks i just know with both my past 2 Dinan cars i never had a problem and it never voided my BMW warranty.

what you speak of i hope never happens to me bc that would be the last part of dinan i would buy then. at that point then if i am just gonna have trouble with warranty etc i mind as well buy another cheaper brand. but i have yet to come to that and like i said out of 2 dinan cars i only had one leaky diff seal

sorry for those you know that had problems but 90% of the time it is coming from people who don't have dinan stuff and heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone then by the time they heard it then it was a bad story. or it is from a competitor with sub par stuff. now i am sure there is some cases that you speak of and there are other tuners out there now that are as good.

say what you will but they have been nothing but good to me and it has never affected my BMW warranty once. where friends of mine have had nothing but problems with other brand mods and trying to get stuff covered under warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Dude, putting Dinan on your car has ALWAYS voided your BMW warranty. Dinan claims they will pick up the warranty, but will they? There have been a few 335 guys who have had problems with Dinan's warranty.

It goes something like this: A part breaks and you take it to the dealer, who say's it due to the Dinan part/tune. You'll have to talk with Dinan. So you go to Dinan, and they say, "our part/tune has nothing to do with that failure." We can't help you out. This has actually HAPPENED to people.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #59
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hmm that is funny it has been quite the opposite with me. with both my Dinan S2 M3 and my Dinan S2 M5 i have never had a problem and BMW was the one who fixed everything not dinan. only once i had a dinan issue and it was a seal on my diff and i had it fixed and replaced in a couple days. if it was a dinan issue the bmw dealer would of never fixed it and sent me to the dinan dealer.
Dinan pays the BMW dealership for the warranty work they do. Just like the dealership is not the ones that absorb the cost when the do BMW warranty work.
      10-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #60
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

that sounds fair. thanks to them for not getting me involved lol

Quote:
Dinan pays the BMW dealership for the warranty work they do. Just like the dealership is not the ones that absorb the cost when the do BMW warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #61
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Hell if they sold it that low I think everyone would jump on the boat real quick to include myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ICoupe View Post
Oh yeah the BMW "M" tax $4000+ "M" tax = $10,000.00

Quote:
yes that would be awesome, unfortantly i don't think it will happen
That is correct guy wishful thinking.... Nothing less than $8000.00to $9000.00 IMO

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #62
Jiaim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 PY Z4 3.0SI

Akra + flash to avoid CEL
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #63
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

lighter 18 forged rims from volks and full gitani exaust. upgrade suspension if you have another 1-2k lying around.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #64
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Quote:

Mate ignore the Guy ,He sounds like a right Dick to me , good luck with your car I personally think what you did is aweome , the G Power is a fantastic bit of kit forsure full stop.
      10-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #65
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
Ride quality depends on the shock settings but when set at 0 compression and 1 rebound (out of 7 settings for both) the ride is slightly firmer than the normal EDC setting. Yes you feel more imperfections in the road but the bumps/dips are very soft. My stock E46 M3 rode a lot worse than this setup. Also, this setup passes the wife test and as I've said before she's impressed by the setup to the point where she was bragging to her 80 something parents who could give a shit about suspensions. So the actual trade-off of improvement in handling vs. degradation in ride quality is very good.

As far as the 20" wheels are concerned - I bought this suspension setup primarily for improvement in track performance where I run 18" wheels. On the street I honestly can not feel much in the way of reduction in handling or balance of the car. I was really worried about going with a 255/295 tire combo as far as increasing understeer but it honestly made very little difference. Also, the Volk G2's are pretty lightweight for a 20" wheel so I would assume that helps some. I agree 20" wheels are not optimal for handling/ride quality but I like the look....

One important caveat, I am having some noise coming from the rear shocks especially on a bumpy surface at slow speeds. It's not noticeable if you're listening to the radio or have the windows down. The noise diminishes as you increase the rebound stiffness. I've been in contact with Moton and they have been very apologetic and are working on a solution. Basically they are doing a redesign of the dampers and have promised to provide replacements. I didn't act like it was a huge deal because I was so happy with the handling improvement that a little noise was a minor IMO. But the the guys at Moton have been super responsive and I'm expecting a fix pretty quickly.

Thanks!
BC
Thanks Barry for the detail write up! Keep us posted on the Moton Fix.
      10-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #66
sizquik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i

a week at a racing school
Appreciate 0