BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

07-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Spark plug change

I know the service manual specifies spark plug change at 37,000 miles. I recently went in for a brake fluid change, CBS light on Idrive came on. So I told the SA since I'm at about 36,500 miles he might as well do the spark plugs. His reply was that the spark plugs are 100K replacements. Was I lied to? I will demand them changed when I go in for my next oil change before my warranty expires. Maybe I should have gone over his head?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Show them the freaking manual. You read it, right? It's in there.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Dealer just changed my plugs at 28,000 miles along with oil etc...but the wierd thing
was when I looked at what they did on the service
order it said "customer stated streaking on the windshield"
so they changed wiper blades??...I never said one word
about the wiper blades???..I am thinking they are ripping off BMWNA ??
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3

My car is at 36K miles, so I scheduled an appointment and took my car in to the dealer this morning to have them do the spark plug change. I was denied. The SA showed me a service bulletin that stated that the spark plug change should be done along with the 3rd CBS scheduled oil change, not based on mileage. He said he would love to do the change, but if they went ahead, BMW would not pay them.

Kind of pissed because I wasted my morning taking the car in - wish they would have checked that when I made my appointment. In any case, looks like the suggested mileage for the spark plug change stated in the manual is no longer accurate.

By the way, if there hasn't been a study done yet, someone should really do one on whether scheduling maintenance through the CBS system is actually good for the cars in the long-run. For example, 15000 miles between oil changes just doesn't seem right....
I wouldn't care if I leased my car, but I bought this one and plan to keep it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Yep, the manual is pretty much useless in terms of maintenance. It's all based on what the key reader tells them when they pop your key in. My 30k mile service included plugs, oil and filter, diff fluid, and air filter. No manual trans fluid change as stated in the owners manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWtE92 View Post
For example, 15000 miles between oil changes just doesn't seem right....
Indeed. Few here adhere to that. The majority add an oil change in-between at 7,500 miles. Reason is BMW pays for service, so now rather than 3K mile changes before paying for service, they conveniently went to 15K . Oil analyses have shown over and over it's too long, especially for people who care about their automobiles (even lessees).

Now to the spark plugs. Manual says 36K+ miles, which happens to be right at the 3rd CBS oil change interval, since the 1,200-mile service is called by the CBS. Mileage should be around $32K max by the 3rd call. Having said that, I personally think 36K miles is too low, but could be wrong if car is not tracked constantly. It'd be nice to hear from somebody who has changed the plugs, and seen the old ones. I'd venture to guess 50K miles is a good interval. However, if fuel economy is degrading by 36K miles, with a gas hog like the M3, it'd definitely be cost effective to replace them early, even if out of pocket. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Oil analyses have shown over and over it's too long, especially for people who care about their automobiles (even lessees).
Very interesting. Your message does remind me of some people doing oil analyses for their cars, but I don't think I followed the threads to see the result. It would be interesting to find out if any legitimate connection can be drawn between the results of the oil analyses and any potential or actual damage to the engine over time. If so, we may have a valid complaint to make to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
I am approaching 40K miles and will have my last free oil change soon. I will again inquire about the spark plug change. If denied, I will ask to see this so called service bulletin about CBS. I have been tracking my fuel consumption very closely and as soon as there is a significant change I will plan on changing the plugs myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
tailgate1234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan Silverstone II

I had my plugs changed at 34k miles and not at the same time as an oil change. I didn't get to look at the old plugs but the car's performance noticeably increased after the change.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
Dealer just changed my plugs at 28,000 miles along with oil etc...but the wierd thing
was when I looked at what they did on the service
order it said "customer stated streaking on the windshield"
so they changed wiper blades??...I never said one word
about the wiper blades???..I am thinking they are ripping off BMWNA ??
your upset that they changed the wiper blades?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

This is very weird... I was just at the dealer for oil maintenance and advisor added 4 other things will be replaced and that's including the spark plug.

All under warranty

Oh I only have 26k miles on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

My plugs were changed at the 45000 km(28000mi) service.I did not notice any difference in the way that it ran.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Thumbs up

Quote:
My car is at 36K miles, so I scheduled an appointment and took my car in to the dealer this morning to have them do the spark plug change. I was denied. The SA showed me a service bulletin that stated that the spark plug change should be done along with the 3rd CBS scheduled oil change, not based on mileage. He said he would love to do the change, but if they went ahead, BMW would not pay them.

Kind of pissed because I wasted my morning taking the car in - wish they would have checked that when I made my appointment. In any case, looks like the suggested mileage for the spark plug change stated in the manual is no longer accurate.

By the way, if there hasn't been a study done yet, someone should really do one on whether scheduling maintenance through the CBS system is actually good for the cars in the long-run. For example, 15000 miles between oil changes just doesn't seem right....
I wouldn't care if I leased my car, but I bought this one and plan to keep it for a while.
I emailed the service and warranty pdf to the service advisor and told them to read page 6 which specifically states
 Spark Plug Service (not shown in CBS):
Replace at 37,000 miles.

They are replacing my spark plugs as we speak. I am also getting the campaign 0028010100 which might be the DCT reprograming .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #14
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys 335i View Post
I emailed the service and warranty pdf to the service advisor and told them to read page 6 which specifically states
Replace at 37,000 miles.

They are replacing my spark plugs as we speak. I am also getting the campaign 0028010100 which might be the DCT reprograming .
where did you get the service and warranty pdf? i know that page isnt in my owner's manual

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
where did you get the service and warranty pdf? i know that page isnt in my owner's manual
It is in mine. Don't remember if the owner's manual or the service booklet; it's in one of those 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #16
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Replace at 37,000 miles.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I also showed them the service manual and my SA still took the position that the service bulletin he showed me trumped the manual.

I have about another 6000 miles before the next oil change and I'll make sure they change the spark plugs then. Besides a drop in fuel economy, could not changing the spark plugs have any lasting adverse effect on the engine? Everything I've read indicates it is a performance issue, but will not affect the durability of the engine, unlike not changing the oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #17
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/dgh.aspx

look under 2008 coupe m3 service and warranty or see attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2008_M3_English.pdf (908.6 KB, 963 views)

Last edited by Dannys M3; 10-08-2010 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #18
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I also showed them the service manual and my SA still took the position that the service bulletin he showed me trumped the manual.

I have about another 6000 miles before the next oil change and I'll make sure they change the spark plugs then. Besides a drop in fuel economy, could not changing the spark plugs have any lasting adverse effect on the engine? Everything I've read indicates it is a performance issue, but will not affect the durability of the engine, unlike not changing the oil.
You'll be ok if your mileage isn't horrible, however I would demand it before your warranty runs out so you don't have to pay for it. They also changed my rear differential fluid so my service advisor will be getting an excellent rating from me. The reprograming went smoothly and I actually like the shifting behavior now. The only bad thing that happened was the front passenger bumper reflector flew off today. Guess I was driving a little too aggressively
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/dgh.aspx

look under 2008 coupe m3 service and warranty or see attached.
thanks a lot for the pdf, i will definitely ask my service guy for a spark plug change before my warranty goes out.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #20
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have reached my next oil change interval (as recommended by CBS) and I took my car in for service this morning. I again requested that they change the spark plugs and the SA was still giving me a hard time about it because he said it did not come up on the CBS printout. I showed him the manual that said the spark plug change is required every 37K miles and that it is stated as "not shown in CBS." He said he would check with the tech when they work on my car.

I am not confident that they will agree to do the spark plug change and my question is, if the dealer continues to refuse to do this service, what can I do? Would BMW NA be able to assist? Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #21
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

^ which dealership in the bay area is this?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
^ which dealership in the bay area is this?
I'd rather not say right now because to me, they have not done anything worthy of complaining yet and they have generally been nice to me. They supposedly are waiting to hear back from their BMW NA rep to get the go-ahead before doing the spark plug change. I will provide an update later.

Frankly, all of this confusion seems to be caused by the inconsistent use of CBS. Most items seem based on CBS, while a few are not. If CBS gets somehow reset prematurely or if there is a malfunction, it could throw things off. The potential complications simply do not justify the minimal benefit, if any, to the owner. I liked the old days when everything was done at pre-determined intervals and if you happen to change something too early, so be it.
Appreciate 0