BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

07-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post

Point of reference, someone measured the surface temp of the track, 142 degrees. This is about as extreme as it gets out here. My instructor in his e46, smg had to pull back, temp needle was in the red. Even with the temps, weekend was a blast.

Others I've spoken with seem to like the car, wish it was lighter with better mpg, but thats about it. Those were all the MT guys though.
actually some of us measured 160 degrees on the asphalt in the paddock!!!
      07-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #24
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Nice, 160 in the paddock, I wonder if the actual track was even hotter or about the same. Anyway, thats an incredible amount to shed. I'm not expecting many street cars to take this well. Good to know that 255, didn't trigger a limp mode though for a MT.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #25
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nice, 160 in the paddock, I wonder if the actual track was even hotter or about the same. Anyway, thats an incredible amount to shed. I'm not expecting many street cars to take this well. Good to know that 255, didn't trigger a limp mode though for a MT.
how did your 335i do in the heat Satruday? have you ever had limp home issues? did any other 335's have heat issues?
      07-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #26
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Better than i thought, but anything over 90 degrees outside the car has issues after 3-4 hot laps. Once the temp gets to 290, I feel the loss of power but no limp modes. At that point I just cruise threw the straights or take it easy for a couple minutes and pit. Once the temps drop a bit I can run a few more laps to end the session w/o any issues. I have yet to get a full blown limp mode, but then again whats the point in trying. The car has a retro-fitted oil cooler already. Ideal, no, able to still have some fun, absolutely.

I hung out with a few others from e90post, they didn't have any major issues. But they did have MT, and also were running in the beginner group.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #27
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Better than i thought, but anything over 90 degrees outside the car has issues after 3-4 hot laps. Once the temp gets to 290, I feel the loss of power but no limp modes. At that point I just cruise threw the straights or take it easy for a couple minutes and pit. Once the temps drop a bit I can run a few more laps to end the session w/o any issues. I have yet to get a full blown limp mode, but then again whats the point in trying. The car has a retro-fitted oil cooler already. Ideal, no, able to still have some fun, absolutely.

I hung out with a few others from e90post, they didn't have any major issues. But they did have MT, and also were running in the beginner group.
cool!....I mean Hot! ?!?!?! i mean thumbs up!
      07-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #28
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Nice choice of track wheels,looks good as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #29
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
Nice choice of track wheels,looks good as well.
thanks - they dont show brake dust at all either!
      07-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #30
03SG///M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

This may sound like a redundent question that's been answered but can someone confirm that M3's equiped without M-Drive still receive MDM?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #31
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

i think thats correct - but I have i-drive and m-drive. I think you would select it withthe console button.
      07-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #32
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
had fun playing with a GT3 which seemed to be the only car out there to present much of a challenge.
Seriously.......

I think he was playing with YOU. lol
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #33
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

for sure a new GT3 with equal drivers will pull away.
      08-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #34
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
this was my first time tracking the e92 so I ran with MDM on and was pretty conservative. MDM starting kicking in towards the end of the day as I pushed more - it sure is a HUGE improvement over the e46 traction control.
Its an improvement but I still found it very intrusive. Its not in the same class as true track oriented stuff. Probably not the 2s per lap the old system cost, but more like 1-1.5s now.
      08-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #35
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I wished the manufacturers offered the driver to option of either having stability control or traction control on. They always disengage the traction control first, leaving the stability control on.....why?

With just the right amount of play a good traction control system can prove a benefit on the track, especially with cars that suffer traction issues exiting a corner. Where as stability control system affect the car's balance and attack of a corner and thus ultimately affect it's corner speed, traction control only affects the amount of traction the driven wheels receive. This would allow less experienced drivers to lean on the power more and more without really affecting the lap times.

The ultimate system would be an adjustable one where you have the control to alter how much of a safety net is available.

What's your thoughts on such a setup?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #36
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I wished the manufacturers offered the driver to option of either having stability control or traction control on. They always disengage the traction control first, leaving the stability control on.....why?

With just the right amount of play a good traction control system can prove a benefit on the track, especially with cars that suffer traction issues exiting a corner. Where as stability control system affect the car's balance and attack of a corner and thus ultimately affect it's corner speed, traction control only affects the amount of traction the driven wheels receive. This would allow less experienced drivers to lean on the power more and more without really affecting the lap times.

The ultimate system would be an adjustable one where you have the control to alter how much of a safety net is available.

I guess if they had an F1 type of traction control you would be faster- but it removes the skill and challange. I just prefer both off. thank goodness BMW allows that as many makes dont.
      08-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #37
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I guess if they had an F1 type of traction control you would be faster- but it removes the skill and challange. I just prefer both off. thank goodness BMW allows that as many makes dont.

I have no problem with totally OFF, but many guys out there aren't that skilled and when you drive with Stability ON you have no control and don't learn shit on how to approach a corner and what is the right speed for not only the car but the conditions as well.

One thing I would like to add, this option should only be available at a track, so a system similar to the GTR's speed limiter that is controlled by the Sat-Nav would be a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #38
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Should they have a switch for the ABS also?

Racelogic quality traction control would be a good thing.
      08-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #39
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Should they have a switch for the ABS also?

Racelogic quality traction control would be a good thing.

Exactly my point, such a system on a new CSL would make it a much better option for serious trackday customers and might help justify part of the price BMW would require of such a machine. Though when you see what Renault has done with their Megane R26R you have to question whether a huge price difference is really justified, especially when it can improve the normal car's lap time by 30 seconds and costs buttons more.

At times I feel we are shafted purely because they know we the public will pay it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #40
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
With just the right amount of play a good traction control system can prove a benefit on the track, especially with cars that suffer traction issues exiting a corner.
The problem with the current MDM setup is that it really cuts the power. I don't know if it completely stops torque delivery or not, but the intervention is severe. Moreover, it lasts a good half second or so, and you kind of get "stuck" in that state coming out of a corner, which actually somewhat unsettles the car if you had it in a controlled slide. I am sure the magnitude and the duration of the intervention can be tweaked though.
      08-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #41
cchan
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 328i/'11 C2S/'04 GT3

Quote:
for sure a new GT3 with equal drivers will pull away.
What were you doing, taunting one of the students?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #42
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
The problem with the current MDM setup is that it really cuts the power. I don't know if it completely stops torque delivery or not, but the intervention is severe. Moreover, it lasts a good half second or so, and you kind of get "stuck" in that state coming out of a corner, which actually somewhat unsettles the car if you had it in a controlled slide. I am sure the magnitude and the duration of the intervention can be tweaked though.
You have to remember that an M3 is a mass produced (100,000 models) car and is designed for primarily road use by normal drivers. To have a system like I am suggesting I think it would have to be linked to the Sat-Nav that knows when you are on a known race track and only engage then, much like the speed limiter of the Japanese GTRs.

MDM, isn't a great system, it may be better than before but what is required is something similar to the F430. In it's best setting the car can lap within 0.1~0.2s of the car with all settings turned off, such a system may had cost a lot to develop and that's why it's only currently available on very expensive Ferraris.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #43
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You have to remember that an M3 is a mass produced (100,000 models) car and is designed for primarily road use by normal drivers. To have a system like I am suggesting I think it would have to be linked to the Sat-Nav that knows when you are on a known race track and only engage then, much like the speed limiter of the Japanese GTRs.

MDM, isn't a great system, it may be better than before but what is required is something similar to the F430. In it's best setting the car can lap within 0.1~0.2s of the car with all settings turned off, such a system may had cost a lot to develop and that's why it's only currently available on very expensive Ferraris.
most car mag tests show the cars are quicker with trqaction control fully off - except I recall the COrvette seemed to have a system that was faster in track mode.
      08-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #44
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:

Motorcycles have that,The 1098R has a 8 position traction control setting

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my200...el=SBK1098R-08

I dont understand why a stand alone TCS cannot be offered without stability control.That might actually be of some use on track unlike MDM.
Appreciate 0