BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
is300wrx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Switching from iPhone to Samsung note 2

I am planning on switching from an iPhone to the Samsung Note 2 and I have a few concerns:

1) BMW Connected and My BMW Remote are two apps I use in my car with the iPhone. Does the android phone have these apps available?

2) I currently store my phone in the armrest. Will the Samsung note 2 fit in there?

3) Text messages are displayed on the screen while emails are not. Similar capabilities/issues with android phones?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
1MtoM3
HayZeus
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by is300wrx View Post
I am planning on switching from an iPhone to the Samsung Note 2 and I have a few concerns:

1) BMW Connected and My BMW Remote are two apps I use in my car with the iPhone. Does the android phone have these apps available?

2) I currently store my phone in the armrest. Will the Samsung note 2 fit in there?

3) Text messages are displayed on the screen while emails are not. Similar capabilities/issues with android phones?
I have also both , all i noticed is the interface for the music is different and it reads your samsung as a storage device.
pardon me if this doesnt sound ok, i'm no electronics guru.....
How can you see your texts with the iphone may I ask?

MW E92 , Turner test pipes , Vorsteiner Titanium catback, TMS spacers, ESS remap , KW sleeves.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Sean@PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:

Remember one thing. BMW built the idrive and the software system based on the iPhone. They never really considered the Android market. You can do certain things with the car using your Android phone. A2DP music streaming shouldn't be a problem. As for displaying the correct names, it would depends vastly on the Android base vs the compatibility of the idrive software.

I currently use the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. But my vehicle is an 09 car which doesn't support A2DP streaming. I use a Samsung HS3000 bluetooth connect to the Aux port. I've setup the phone to a point where it would autolaunch my favorite music streaming app (Pandora or Tunein) when I enter the car. Basically as long as the phone connects to HS3000, it would start streaming. Once it disconnects, app would close asap.

The question for you is if your willing to try the Android base system.

Don't rely on both products to work perfectly together.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
is300wrx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PYSpeed.com View Post
Remember one thing. BMW built the idrive and the software system based on the iPhone. They never really considered the Android market. You cathink.rtain things with the car using your Android phone. A2DP music streaming shouldn't be a problem. As for displaying the correct names, it would depends vastly on the Android base vs the compatibility of the idrive software.

I currently use the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. But my vehicle is an 09 car which doesn't support A2DP streaming. I use a Samsung HS3000 bluetooth connect to the Aux port. I've setup the phone to a point where it would autolaunch my favorite music streaming app (Pandora or Tunein) when I enter the car. Basically as long as the phone connects to HS3000, it would start streaming. Once it disconnects, app would close asap.

The question for you is if your willing to try the Android base system.

Don't rely on both products to work perfectly together.

I have used an android phone before getting the iphon4s. My brother just made the switch to the samsung note and I got a chance to really try out the phone. Basically the androids have come a long way and I really appreciate the large screen.

I am just hoping that the two mentioned apps work with the note along with text messages coming through, pandora, playing my stored music, and the bluetooth function [I dont think ill have an issue with this]
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
mmcnulty
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 DCT SSII

Garage List
I wouldn't be super hopeful about these features/apps coming to android as it exists now. Android doesn't support accessories particularly well, especially audio, which is one reason (of many) you don't see a ton of docks and USB-connected accessories out there despite market share. The ones that exist use generic Bluetooth or audio jack functionality that is very basic. I'm also pretty sure android does not have the accessory API capabilities that enable third parties to integrate really well. The office stuff (messages and emails) is totally possible as it is standard Bluetooth, but the pandora/stitcher/mog/connected stuff is likely not technically possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I have both phones. It's a tough call.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
is300wrx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I have both phones. It's a tough call.
Can you tell me what features work on the Samsung and what doesn't work when comparing to the iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can you tell me what features work on the Samsung and what doesn't work when comparing to the iPhone?
For the features you want, I would keep the iphone. Better yet, buy the note and don't sell the iphone and just get the personal hotspot added to your account and you will have the best of both worlds. Just leave the iphone in your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Sean@PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:
For the features you want, I would keep the iphone. Better yet, buy the note and don't sell the iphone and just get the personal hotspot added to your account and you will have the best of both worlds. Just leave the iphone in your car.
What I did for a friend was root his Samsung Note 2 which has a data plan and put wireless tether on it. He still use his iphone in the car but connected through wifi from his Samsung. Still works, a workaround...

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

how do you guys like the Note 2? I'm not sure if I want to wait for the next gen galaxy S4 or just pull the trigger on this phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
how do you guys like the Note 2? I'm not sure if I want to wait for the next gen galaxy S4 or just pull the trigger on this phone.
What phone do you have now? I have the Note 2. It's good but not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
What phone do you have now? I have the Note 2. It's good but not perfect.
T-Mobile HTC One S. So the Note 2 & Lumia 810 are the only current TMobile phone that is almost immediately compatible with their 4G LTE roll out next month. I'm in their initial LTE rollout market (DC metro).

T-Mobile will likely roll out the IPhone5 and a Galaxy S3 LTE version with their LTE kickoff, but it appears the hardware components of the S3 will labor to support LTE. The Note 2 was designed ground up as an LTE phone.

Last edited by mdosu; 01-31-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
M3V8Cabrio
M3 God
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 MCB

The iPhone just seems like the match for a BMW.

Good luck with the samsung
Appreciate 0