BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

2011 E92 335i to 2008 E90 M3 Feedback Please

As the title states, I currently have a 2011 335i coupe. I found a 2008 m3 sedan and am seriously considering it. Hoping to gather your feedback and thoughts of what you would do!

1. Current 2011 335i has 50k miles on it. The 2008 m3 has 48k. While this is less I am still going down a few years.

2. Everything included (warranty, tax title tags) this will be around 35k - is that too much for an older model?

I went to test drive the m3 and well M3!!!! - I am just struggling really hard with the decision of what to do here. This seems like a great deal and these have been extremely difficult to find. Also - this fits in the price range I am looking for.

Thoughts?

-Jon
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Do you have idrive? If so, I dont think you would like the CCC version that the 08 has
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I think an 08 with 48k should cost less than 35k.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Do you have idrive? If so, I dont think you would like the CCC version that the 08 has
I do, but I don't really use any of the features that much other than the radio. I really dont think I would miss it that much. It looks much better - but I dont think I would notice after awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I think an 08 with 48k should cost less than 35k.
Even with titles tags and Carmax warranty included?

-Jon
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31 View Post
I do, but I don't really use any of the features that much other than the radio. I really dont think I would miss it that much. It looks much better - but I dont think I would notice after awhile.

-Jon
Eh, IMO, i would find a nice 09 for 35k, that way you wont be missing much. Personally, I can't stand the CCC, way too dated, and I'm a techie
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eh, IMO, i would find a nice 09 for 35k, that way you wont be missing much. Personally, I can't stand the CCC, way too dated, and I'm a techie
Thanks for the feedback. These model vehicles with low miles are hard to find in my area. This one has all other options I am looking for (color and specs) so it's really tough to decide to let it go.

At the same time I want to make a good decision. If the iDrive is the only drawback - I think I can live with that.

-Jon
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Quote:

-Jon
i say go for it since it includes tax and warranty which is probably several thousand in itself.

The CCC is outdated. THe CIC is virtually outdated. ot me waze and googlemaps blows away in-car navigation anyways.

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. These model vehicles with low miles are hard to find in my area. This one has all other options I am looking for (color and specs) so it's really tough to decide to let it go.

At the same time I want to make a good decision. If the iDrive is the only drawback - I think I can live with that.

-Jon

If that's what you are comfortable with, then it is ultimately your decision. You will also be losing your LCI tails. M3 headlights are the same throughout all model years, so just pop in an LED turn signal if you want. Did you expand your search parameters? I personally flew out of state and drove mine back
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
drummer20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 Stock

it's up to you

I have a pretty well maintained 08 M3 with 40k miles that I considered selling recently and it was getting some looks at the $32-33k price point. so I think your is good deal if that warranty is legit.

but yea the CCC blows man, I wish I could Bluetooth stream Pandora. there are retro kits you can install though. cost about $5k to get the latest in there...and who knows if it will all work right. I think if you just wanted to upgrade to a CIC it's like $2-3k.

If you are used to using google maps on the phone maybe no big deal, it can be a bit of a joykill if ya driving a stick though. I try to memorize the route as much as possible.

I am betting everyone here is gonna choose the M3, I mean we kinda already have hehe
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #10
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer20 View Post
I have a pretty well maintained 08 M3 with 40k miles that I considered selling recently and it was getting some looks at the $32-33k price point. so I think your is good deal if that warranty is legit.

but yea the CCC blows man, I wish I could Bluetooth stream Pandora. there are retro kits you can install though. cost about $5k to get the latest in there...and who knows if it will all work right. I think if you just wanted to upgrade to a CIC it's like $2-3k.

If you are used to using google maps on the phone maybe no big deal, it can be a bit of a joykill if ya driving a stick though. I try to memorize the route as much as possible.

I am betting everyone here is gonna choose the M3, I mean we kinda already have hehe
Can't you use a simple 3.5mm stereo audio cable? My nav/humpless E90 has a 3.5mm input for audio. I know it's old school having to use a cable, but seems like a cheap alternative.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #11
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmehta211 View Post
i say go for it since it includes tax and warranty which is probably several thousand in itself.

The CCC is outdated. THe CIC is virtually outdated. ot me waze and googlemaps blows away in-car navigation anyways.
I have a magnet mount for my iphone (best 7 dollars I ever spent) that I use currently for Waze. I really dont see the CCC as a dealbreaker.

Quote:
If that's what you are comfortable with, then it is ultimately your decision. You will also be losing your LCI tails. M3 headlights are the same throughout all model years, so just pop in an LED turn signal if you want. Did you expand your search parameters? I personally flew out of state and drove mine back
I honestly think this one is better looking. Maybe it just fits me better. For the heck of it I searched nationwide and there is really not a lot out there. I even contacted my local BMW dealer to see if they could find something. Nothing so far

Really appreciate all the feedback. Its a tough decision and it feels a little rushed since 1. there aren't many options and 2. This meets almost all of what I would be looking for. The iDrive is a slight concern, but the year/miles/price is the key concerns.

-Jon
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #12
drummer20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9uwu View Post
Can't you use a simple 3.5mm stereo audio cable? My nav/humpless E90 has a 3.5mm input for audio. I know it's old school having to use a cable, but seems like a cheap alternative.
yea I do that, and I'm thankful I can do that heh I feel like I have no place to set my phone down when it's plugged in the audio jack. Sometimes I put it in my pocket and forget to unplug when I get out of the car...i'm hopeless I know haha I don't like those dash attached phone holders...

And then my clumsy ass seems to always accidentally unplug the audio cable so then I need to remove phone from pocket, unlock my phone, plug it back in and turn up the volume on my phone, press play on Pandora, carefully reinsert phone into pocket...blah blah blah I know what a rough life

I have a friend whose phone auto links up and starts streaming Pandora automatically everytime they get in their car ...I'm just jealous heh

But don't get me wrong, love my M3
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:

The value of title and tags varies from state to state so I don't know what that is worth. Also don't know what a Carmax warranty is or what it is worth.

The BMW dealer market may be limited due to the airbag. Not sure they can sell a recall car that has not been fixed.

I was guessing the 08s were at 30k or maybe even less now.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #14
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
As the title states, I currently have a 2011 335i coupe. I found a 2008 m3 sedan and am seriously considering it. Hoping to gather your feedback and thoughts of what you would do!

1. Current 2011 335i has 50k miles on it. The 2008 m3 has 48k. While this is less I am still going down a few years.

2. Everything included (warranty, tax title tags) this will be around 35k - is that too much for an older model?

I went to test drive the m3 and well M3!!!! - I am just struggling really hard with the decision of what to do here. This seems like a great deal and these have been extremely difficult to find. Also - this fits in the price range I am looking for.

Thoughts?

-Jon
OP care to share where you found this? Since you're in VA too.
I've been hunting for one for a while, and have seen a few. Dont worry I wont be stealing this one from you. I may have already checked it out.
35K w/ everything warranty included sounds like a goo deal, but you may be able to get one from a credit union for cheaper. Not sure how people got Carmax, but I didnt see anything in your post about carmax. CArmax warranty is fair, but you'll have to go to a carmax facility. I think I've checked out pretty much all their M3s and they all looked fairly beat (Only talking about the DMV area), and I wouldn't pay 35K for any of those.
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #15
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
OP care to share where you found this? Since you're in VA too.
I've been hunting for one for a while, and have seen a few. Dont worry I wont be stealing this one from you. I may have already checked it out.
35K w/ everything warranty included sounds like a goo deal, but you may be able to get one from a credit union for cheaper. Not sure how people got Carmax, but I didnt see anything in your post about carmax. CArmax warranty is fair, but you'll have to go to a carmax facility. I think I've checked out pretty much all their M3s and they all looked fairly beat (Only talking about the DMV area), and I wouldn't pay 35K for any of those.
I think in one of the replies I mentioned it was a Carmax warranty, but yes this is a Vehicle was found on Carmax (wont show up right now becuase I believe they have it reserved for me). 2008 Black BMW m3 ~48k miles.https://www.carmax.com/cars/bmw/m3/2...&gcid=25436035 Was located at the Laurel MD location, but is now being transferred to Potomac Mills so I can take another look before making a final decision. This one seemed to be in really good condition - but maybe I was puppy eyeing it after seeing it the first time.

I have history with Navy Federal Credit Union and USAA - but didn't think that I could get a warranty from them.

Anyways, glad its not just me having a tough time finding something in this area. I'm not in any rush - this just seems like pretty much exactly what I was looking for - granted I havent been looking for THAT long. PM if you checked out this car and want to chat more about it.

Edit. Also - I dont think you have to go directly to Carmax facility to use their warranty. I specifically asked that question and they said you can take it to any BMW dealer.

-Jon

Last edited by griz31; 05-16-2016 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think in one of the replies I mentioned it was a Carmax warranty, but yes this is a Vehicle was found on Carmax (wont show up right now becuase I believe they have it reserved for me). 2008 Black BMW m3 ~48k miles.https://www.carmax.com/cars/bmw/m3/2...&gcid=25436035 Was located at the Laurel MD location, but is now being transferred to Potomac Mills so I can take another look before making a final decision. This one seemed to be in really good condition - but maybe I was puppy eyeing it after seeing it the first time.

I have history with Navy Federal Credit Union and USAA - but didn't think that I could get a warranty from them.

Anyways, glad its not just me having a tough time finding something in this area. I'm not in any rush - this just seems like pretty much exactly what I was looking for - granted I havent been looking for THAT long. PM if you checked out this car and want to chat more about it.

Edit. Also - I dont think you have to go directly to Carmax facility to use their warranty. I specifically asked that question and they said you can take it to any BMW dealer.

-Jon
Ah this one is probably the best of the lot. I didnt go down to Laurel to check it out. I've been looking at mostly LCI models. I am in no great rush to get one. My 335 is plenty fast for the moment, but yes the Ms do feel special.

Be sure to check out all buttons etc. Especially bolsters, seat heaters. I almost pulled the trigger on one at the Gaithersburg location. Only to realize later some electrics werent quite working.

RE warranty- Make sure they give it to you in writing. A friend of mine bought a G37 from Car-max w/ their warranty, and they made him come out to their location. I know because I was with him when we went to the Dealer. Wasnt anything major, but they wasted a whole lot of time over nothing. Besides that I havent heard anyone having any issues with their warranty.

GL! If only I could find a decent E90 M ..lol
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #17
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
Ah this one is probably the best of the lot. I didnt go down to Laurel to check it out. I've been looking at mostly LCI models. I am in no great rush to get one. My 335 is plenty fast for the moment, but yes the Ms do feel special.

Be sure to check out all buttons etc. Especially bolsters, seat heaters. I almost pulled the trigger on one at the Gaithersburg location. Only to realize later some electrics werent quite working.

RE warranty- Make sure they give it to you in writing. A friend of mine bought a G37 from Car-max w/ their warranty, and they made him come out to their location. I know because I was with him when we went to the Dealer. Wasnt anything major, but they wasted a whole lot of time over nothing. Besides that I havent heard anyone having any issues with their warranty.

GL! If only I could find a decent E90 M ..lol
Yup and part of the reason I asked them to transfer closer so I could take another look.

Did your friend have the warranty from carmax a few years ago? My parents had the same situation with having to take it there but I have seen many posts more recently on people going straight to the dealer with the warranty. I think they may have changed their policy.

Appreciate it, its still a really tough decision. I'll let you know if it doesnt work out if you'd be interested.

-Jon
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #18
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yup and part of the reason I asked them to transfer closer so I could take another look.

Did your friend have the warranty from carmax a few years ago? My parents had the same situation with having to take it there but I have seen many posts more recently on people going straight to the dealer with the warranty. I think they may have changed their policy.

Appreciate it, its still a really tough decision. I'll let you know if it doesnt work out if you'd be interested.

-Jon
He had it done about a month ago, so its fairly recent. Not sure if its a plan thing.

Anyway, GL!
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #19
Tewie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP Melbourne/FoxRed

CCC stands for Crap Crap Crap. May not be a big deal to some. I think it would be like going from an iPhone to an old Motorola.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #20
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update

So because the car moved from MD to VA - it has to pass VA emissions. Apparently they have had some issues collecting enough data to pass tests. Im actually really unfamiliar with this - if anyone has experience with this please enlighten me.

Anyways I was getting antsy so decided to try out some other vehicles in the same price range - just to see.

2016 Mustang GT (MT) - This was just not the car for me. Big, clunky, didn't really blow me away with the power. Beautiful looking newer body style and sounded amazing - but it just did not feel like a great car to drive.

2013 Audi S4 (MT) - I was really impressed with this car. I could get a much newer model for about the same price. Interior was beautiful and refined - and honestly that kinda turned me away a bit (which confirms for me CCC wont be an issue). It had decent power with the supercharger and was pretty fun to drive, but I felt it was more of a luxury car than a sports car. While I entertained the idea, it just didn't feel special to me.

Feeling even more confident now that this specific m3 is the one for me. Really excited (barring any issues with the car) to become part of the M family.

-Jon
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #21
Gn1196
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31

Thoughts?

-Jon
I like the switch, but I think the price is too high for the year and miles. I am listing my 2012 with 32,000 miles loaded mint for $46K.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #22
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gn1196 View Post
I like the switch, but I think the price is too high for the year and miles. I am listing my 2012 with 32,000 miles loaded mint for $46K.
Ya I definitely hear what you're saying. This does include a ~3k warranty and im guessing ~1k for tax title tags. I have heard when going through carmax you pay a bit of a premium.

Appreciate the feedback!

-Jon
Appreciate 0