BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

Mporium BMW

01-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
TACA A320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport 6MT, E90 328i

How does your body react to stress?

Just out of curiosity, how do you usually react to heavy stress? In my case, my heart rate always goes up fast and stays fast in the middle of the night while I am asleep, which obviously wakes me up. This scared the hell out of me when it first happened to the point that I went to the ER and had two different cardiologists do two different EKG's and ECG's and place me on one of those 24 hour heart monitors. No problems were found at all, which led me to a psychologist who found that I was under a lot of stress.

Thankfully it has only happened twice in my life, the second time I knew what it was and was able to control and stop it immediately through "mental therapy" i.e. calming myself down.

So, just out of curiosity, how do you react?
      01-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I had what was diagnosed later as a panic attack. Same symptoms, BP went through the roof, swore I was having a heart attack. Went to ER, kept me hooked up and monitored overnight, I was shot up with irradiated isotopes and put on stress test to check for blockages, nothing found. Since that time, once I feel the onset of an attack coming on. I stop and breathe, go for a walk or drop the top and take a spin...

It really is all mental, in my case I was/am stressed because I have been out of work for 7 months and all that comes with that. Breathe... It really does help.
      01-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
When I get really stressed out with work and school etc I just start getting annoyed at people. I don't get heavy heart rates or anything but usually the smallest things just tick me off. But luckily it doesn't last for a long time.
      02-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I fart. Gas triggers something in my gut and I just get really gassy.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

stress to the body triggers cortisol secretion, read up on it and its effects
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Unable to sleep, feels / hear the stomach growling , which makes me break out
      02-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
joshuaty2010
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: car

Stress also can affect penis health.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaty2010 View Post
Stress also can affect penis health.
nice first post!

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
shovelhead
Rep
Drives: BMW 530

I found that when I work out I dont get as stressed out. I get panic attacks pretty bad, but now that Im on a more strict workout schedule they arent as bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Mss396
Jet Pilot
Germany
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Subject: A Great Lesson on Stress

A young lady confidently walked around the room while leading and explaining stress management to an audience with a raised glass of water. Everyone knew she was going to ask the ultimate question, 'half empty or half full?'... She fooled them all .... "How heavy is this glass of water?" she inquired with a smile.
Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. To 20 oz.

She replied , "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it.
If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm.

If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an
Ambulance. In each case it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes." She continued, "and that's the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on."

"As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden - holding stress longer and better each time practiced.

So, as early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night... Pick them up tomorrow.

1 * Accept the fact that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue!

2 * Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

3 * Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

4 * Drive carefully... It's not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker.

5 * If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

6 * If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

7 * It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

8 * Never buy a car you can't push.

9 * Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

10 * Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

11 * Since it's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.

12 * The second mouse gets the cheese.

13 * When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

14 * Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

16 * Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

17 * We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.

18 * A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

19 * Have an awesome day and know that someone has thought about you today.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY

20 *Save the earth..... It's the only planet with chocolate!* I THINK !
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

besides those who inherit money, this world has plenty of anxiety and stressful situations to throw at us while we try and get a little ahead. Its tough to get ahead... pay for a 75k car, a 500K house, maintain a high paying job etc. I would say most peoples stress comes from wanting nice things and secondly not having the money to get them alternatively having the salary to get these things but the job is not maintainable long term.
Its all about the benjamins, yet people who are financially free typically make their own stresses, which for most people who want to make it to that freedom see the rich lifestyle as ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
Jasonseoguam
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW e92 m3 coupe

i get g.e.r.d aka Acid Reflux when under stress
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

My brain responds to stress. It tells me to do something that will alleviate the thing causing the stress. My body then takes the appropriate action to alleviate the stress.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
jhon alen
Registered
Rep
Drives: nil

Hello

I feel so much headache when i was in stress

Simon French
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #15
s14kouki10
Rep
Drives: s30

stress sucks, I suffered from panic attacks, thinking i was getting heart attacks, went to the er. Nothing was wrong. Ive joined the gym since and its been a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #16
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
I lose my appetite. I dont eat. Thank god it does not happen often.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #17
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Stress normally triggers fatigue, headaches and quick irritation for me. It normally goes away after a few days of proper sleeping, clean eating and some gym workouts
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #18
Rumspringerdaily
Banned
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACA A320 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you usually react to heavy stress? In my case, my heart rate always goes up fast and stays fast in the middle of the night while I am asleep, which obviously wakes me up. This scared the hell out of me when it first happened to the point that I went to the ER and had two different cardiologists do two different EKG's and ECG's and place me on one of those 24 hour heart monitors. No problems were found at all, which led me to a psychologist who found that I was under a lot of stress.

Thankfully it has only happened twice in my life, the second time I knew what it was and was able to control and stop it immediately through "mental therapy" i.e. calming myself down.

Stress is a killer. Literally. Your mental state is often a direct relation to your physical state and well being. Many things can be a variable... diet, schedule, environment, people, influences, etc.

Eating healthy and organic (paleo: no refined oils and sugars) and regular exercise can really help you with stress. But just not letting lifes common worries get your overstressed and learning how to vent it out can be a huge answer also. Keep your mind happy and often with care your body will follow. dont let things get you stressed. And if its people thats the problem, remove them from your life or simply dont let them get you that stressed out.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #19
Rumspringerdaily
Banned
Rep
Drives: M

Great post. Great comments. Thanks guys. <3
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #20
bchris964
Rep
Drives: b m w

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACA A320 View Post

hi buddy
oh you have a such type of problem.no doubt stress not only can effect our mental organs but also our hole body.fast heart beat is main point in stress and immediately effected.in-spite of this long and tension-able treatment if u can walk daily and busy yourself in creative activities and remember to God all the time so you can get rid of this problem for long time.best wishes to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #21
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

As I got into adult hood (40s), I've learned that the classic "Night Cap" or after work martini is exactly the stress relief required. Just one, maybe a couple on Fridays. Really can help put down all the silly stuff that may cause stress.

You know there is actually an answer and that is "everything in moderation".

It's a simple concept, and the hopeless/pointless chasing of material shit, stuff you don't need, and trying to keep up with the Joneses just doesn't matter. It's a simple matter of getting your priorities straight.

Find a career that you find enjoyable, maybe actually fun, and everything will come to you. What's the quote "Do what you love and you'll never work another day in your life."

It's an odd concept to bring into a BMW forum certainly, cause many of us have likely been raised or trained to acquire more and more, that we MUST WIN. Many have likely sought out careers based on earning potential, or status without realizing that it's meaningless to them and gives them no real joy, no satisfaction.

You want to reduce your stress in the first world? STOP worrying about meaningless, useless, material shit. We don't NEED BMWs, WE DONT NEED THE McMansion, and who gives a shit what Bob at work is driving. However, we have folks on this forum whom I guarantee are stressed because the BMW they are driving costs too much for it to be truly affordable. Self inflicted stress, because of a desire to acquire. It's the "American Way" right, we are programmed to have to have to the new shiny shit and that it will make us happy. But it won't, it never will. Instead the new shiny shit has you working late, compromising morals maybe, spending more and more time away from family and friends to simply afford that shiny shit. It really is insane.

There was a study I came across a few years ago. In it researchers, (or Pollsters) found that there is a significant decrees in happiness and contentment as IQ and education increases. It's simpler to be happy and relaxed when you're simply unaware of or unconcerned with all the "horror" the Media is telling us matters.

Want to be happy? It's all inside you, contentment is from within and the less wealth worshiping and status hounding you do? The more you realize that it's unimportant bullshit? The happier you will be.

If you want real stress? Try getting shot at. (No a ramboesque tale coming) just spend some time getting mortars dropped on you, or small arms directed at you. That is real stress, and you'll experience a serious adrenal/cortisol dump. Put it all into perspective, and unless you are surgeon, an Airline Pilot, Soldier, or in some other real world life or death career? All the other stress is just little shit, and don't sweat the little shit.

Blah Blah Blah, holy cow I went off... But seriously, stress kills, in the first world we are largely stressed about things that when put into perspective are genuinely NOT critical to living and is therefore little shit.

Oh and Scotch might be your friend... So long as you remember "all things in moderation".
      05-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #22
Adam123
Rep
Drives: no any

You need to and natural and physical fitness can really help you with pressure, But just not allowing life's typical problems get your over-worked and studying how to release it out can be a large response also, Keep your thoughts satisfied and often with good care your human body will adhere to.....