BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

EXXEL Distributions

07-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
MarkW221
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D Coupé (E92)

Buying BMW Individual Paint

My 335d (E92)'s paintwork took a bit of a battering from its previous owner, with loads of deep scratches, scuffs and swirls all over the body. As such, I'm considering a respray at some point in the future.

Instead of doing it the same colour again (Black Sapphire), I'm considering doing it Ruby Black (Individual colour), but I'll be getting it done by an aftermarket bodyshop rather than BMW (because of cost).

The question is, will the bodyshop be able to purchase the Ruby Black paint, and if so, will it be hugely expensive/overpriced?

Anyone with any experience in this would be helpful!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I would assume as long as there is a paint code for Ruby black, the shop can do it. I've had independant shops match my Space Grey metallic quite nicely. I wouldn't see how they couldn't do an individual color as well.

Question is, what is the paint code?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This might help
http://www.sikkenscr.de/c3view.php?s...c3p=218&c3l=de

gotta translate the names, but Ruby Black's color code is S23 Any pics of Ruby black?

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
MarkW221
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I would assume as long as there is a paint code for Ruby black, the shop can do it. I've had independant shops match my Space Grey metallic quite nicely. I wouldn't see how they couldn't do an individual color as well.

Question is, what is the paint code?
I managed to find the paint code on Google last night after an extensive search! And I also have a friend who manages the parts dept. at my local dealer, so it looks like it may be possible!

The thing that did make me think though, was that apparently according to the official BMW Individual blurb, this colour is made up of "five layers" of paint, with the top layer containing "special effects", so I'm not sure if an aftermarket bodyshop could actually do it properly in that colour?!

Or is it all just BS from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW221 View Post
I managed to find the paint code on Google last night after an extensive search! And I also have a friend who manages the parts dept. at my local dealer, so it looks like it may be possible!

The thing that did make me think though, was that apparently according to the official BMW Individual blurb, this colour is made up of "five layers" of paint, with the top layer containing "special effects", so I'm not sure if an aftermarket bodyshop could actually do it properly in that colour?!

Or is it all just BS from BMW?
Hmm... might have to check with your shop on that one. I wouldn't see any cost difference from any other metallic paint, but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
MarkW221
Rep

Quote:
Hmm... might have to check with your shop on that one. I wouldn't see any cost difference from any other metallic paint, but I could be wrong.
Will get in touch with them How much should I expect to pay on a decent respray, inc. the paint (assuming the Ruby Black is no more expensive than Black Sapphire for instance)?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
This might help
http://www.sikkenscr.de/c3view.php?s...c3p=218&c3l=de

gotta translate the names, but Ruby Black's color code is S23 Any pics of Ruby black?

Good luck!
Here it is on an E70 X5

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Teehe trust me, it's not cheap and I hope you have another way to get around for a while. My car was completely disassembled and undriveable for a few months but bodyshops should have no issue getting the paint mixed.

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0