BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Need Help: Opinion on 08-09 E90 M3 pricing

Hi guys, I'm planning to get an E90 M3 in the near future if I can sell my N55 135i quick enough. What is current market price for 08 E90 M3 with DCT and EDC and below 50K miles? I don't really care about other options nor the color except silver interior.

Is it always true that E92 M3 priced higher than E90 M3? I saw some E90 without sunroof which I think pretty much a plus point to me since its worth the uniqueness.

When do you guys think the best time to jump into E9X M3? I know new M3 and M4 are coming in this year.

My current budget is $35,000 without sales tax so I'm pretty much open with your thoughts and opinions.

Really appreciate comments and thoughts guys! Other opinions also welcome.
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 JRZ BLK 6MT

I just picked one up pretty much loaded for 36. So you should be okay. Took a while for the right deal to come along though.
I got an 08 e90. Hopefully take delivery this coming week.

I hear the e90's are a bit more rare but have nothing to really support that other than post opinions. I haven't seen production stats.

There is never a bad time to get into one these cars...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnykin
I just picked one up pretty much loaded for 36. So you should be okay. Took a while for the right deal to come along though.

I hear the e90's are a bit more rare but have nothing to really support that other than post opinions. I haven't seen production stats.

Nice man! Congrats on the car. What options, color and mileage do you get? I hope you don't mind sharing it with us.
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

E90's seem to be a bit cheaper than E92's. There are fewer E90's but less demand (also why they sold less in the first place).

If you stick toward the higher end of under 50k miles, it should be easy to find an '08 in your price range. I would suggest getting an '09 for the updated idrive if you want a car with nav. Otherwise just find the cleanest, nicest car you can.

The market knows the new M3/4 are coming, and had already adjusted long ago; there will be no significant fluctuation when the M4 is released. There is no ideal time to buy, except for the fact that these cars continue to depreciate and will be cheaper as time passes. From that perspective it is best to wait to buy, but your time to enjoy the car also diminishes, so you should buy one now if you want one.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
E90's seem to be a bit cheaper than E92's. There are fewer E90's but less demand (also why they sold less in the first place).

If you stick toward the higher end of under 50k miles, it should be easy to find an '08 in your price range. I would suggest getting an '09 for the updated idrive if you want a car with nav. Otherwise just find the cleanest, nicest car you can.

The market knows the new M3/4 are coming, and had already adjusted long ago; there will be no significant fluctuation when the M4 is released. There is no ideal time to buy, except for the fact that these cars continue to depreciate and will be cheaper as time passes. From that perspective it is best to wait to buy, but your time to enjoy the car also diminishes, so you should buy one now if you want one.
Thank you for your thoughtful comment buddy! I saw an 09 E90 priced for $36,500 but without nav and EDC. It has DCT though with 56k miles on it. Do you think its worth it? It is pretty much basic car with DCT and premium pack but some dealers are putting mark up for M3 as they think E9x M3 as the last V8 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful comment buddy! I saw an 09 E90 priced for $36,500 but without nav and EDC. It has DCT though with 56k miles on it. Do you think its worth it? It is pretty much basic car with DCT and premium pack but some dealers are putting mark up for M3 as they think E9x M3 as the last V8 M3.
It seems fair price for an 09 ...I am also looking for e9x M3 but all the prices I find between 38-40k around my area and doesn't have any option except DCT and premium
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #7
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90-NEBO View Post
It seems fair price for an 09 ...I am also looking for e9x M3 but all the prices I find between 38-40k around my area and doesn't have any option except DCT and premium
What are you looking for and how much do you often see it? So I can estimate the price of average E92 M3 with some options and mileage.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnykin

Nice man! Congrats on the car. What options, color and mileage do you get? I hope you don't mind sharing it with us.
08 E90 jerez black / black novillo
Premium
Cold whether
Nav
Mdrive
Sun roof
Premium sound
EDC
6MT
47k miles
$36 (cdn)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

For cars that are marked up, just pass them by and go for the more reasonably priced cars.

$36,500 sounds like a fair price, however it depends on how much you want those options. Having both nav and edc shouldn't increase the price very much on another car, but you'd have to find another car. Nav is personal preference, edc you would not miss if you didn't have it (but would probably think you couldn't live without it if you had it).
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I would argue that E90s in good condition are in higher demand than E92s. There are less and the cars are falling into 'family man' price range. The auction/retail prices seem to justify this thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #11
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I would argue that E90s in good condition are in higher demand than E92s. There are less and the cars are falling into 'family man' price range. The auction/retail prices seem to justify this thought.
<--- Family Man, Pregnant wife and pretty much the only way I could convince her to let me get an ///M. Well said sir!

"But look sweetie, it's got 4 doors and there are car seat tie downs in the back.... with sunshades!"

SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #12
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnykin View Post
<--- Family Man, Pregnant wife and pretty much the only way I could convince her to let me get an ///M. Well said sir!

"But look sweetie, it's got 4 doors and there are car seat tie downs in the back.... with sunshades!"

SOLD!
Plus 09-10 E90 already have the LCI upgrade. You have to get into an 11 for LCI on the E92. Not sure how much that matters to people.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep

Ya I hear that's a selling point for a lot of people. The LCI and the NAV updates. I bought the engine and performance. The toys are just that, Toys. But to each their own.

Definitely something to consider though. If you're looking for a an E90 at sub $35K with decent miles you may have some trouble based on what I've been reading on this forum.

CL 19: Just check out the thread for what people have been paying recently for their cars and it will give you a pretty good idea.http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366319
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya I hear that's a selling point for a lot of people. The LCI and the NAV updates. I bought the engine and performance. The toys are just that, Toys. But to each their own.

Definitely something to consider though. If you're looking for a an E90 at sub $35K with decent miles you may have some trouble based on what I've been reading on this forum.

CL 19: Just check out the thread for what people have been paying recently for their cars and it will give you a pretty good idea.http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366319
Yeah you can see what I paid for my 11 there.

Having Manheim access definitely helps my buying power tho.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Have been looking that thread for a while now. Thanks thought, it is really helpful but some dealers are just nuts for putting mark up on their no option cars
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy
For cars that are marked up, just pass them by and go for the more reasonably priced cars.

$36,500 sounds like a fair price, however it depends on how much you want those options. Having both nav and edc shouldn't increase the price very much on another car, but you'd have to find another car. Nav is personal preference, edc you would not miss if you didn't have it (but would probably think you couldn't live without it if you had it).
$36,500 sounds good to me for a car if it is pretty much loaded but this car has only premium package and few small options such as heated seats. No edc, nav and stuffs. It is in brilliant condition and 1 owner but still I have seen other cars with more or less the same mileage but more options. Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
downtowncb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I bought my '08 6 months ago with 60k for $32k. I didn't know about the updated iDrive until after I bought it so I spent another $1K upgrading that with parts sourced from a local German wrecking yard.

Premium
6MT
EDC
Cold Weather
Nav
M Drive
Individual Audio

I feel I got really lucky with this find. I spent nearly 6 months looking for an E90 Sparkling Graphite 6MT; if I was going to buy an M I was going to wait for exactly what I wanted, I was in no hurry. The seller was a really nice middle-aged family guy and the M wasn't working with his 5 kids. He was happy to see it go to a car guy that would take care of it so he really worked with me on the price. If you want one now, well you have to pick from what's available, but if you're willing to wait the right one will come along.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtowncb
I bought my '08 6 months ago with 60k for $32k. I didn't know about the updated iDrive until after I bought it so I spent another $1K upgrading that with parts sourced from a local German wrecking yard.

Premium
6MT
EDC
Cold Weather
Nav
M Drive
Individual Audio

I feel I got really lucky with this find. I spent nearly 6 months looking for an E90 Sparkling Graphite 6MT; if I was going to buy an M I was going to wait for exactly what I wanted, I was in no hurry. The seller was a really nice middle-aged family guy and the M wasn't working with his 5 kids. He was happy to see it go to a car guy that would take care of it so he really worked with me on the price. If you want one now, well you have to pick from what's available, but if you're willing to wait the right one will come along.
Man, you are really lucky to find one with such a great owner as well. Don't worry, I will wait for a few months. Honestly, I have been in the market for E9x M3 since late 2012 but decided to get '11 N55 135i because I transferred to Davis which most of my trips are city and I need the low rpm torque to make it easier to drive in city. No regret though but M3 has been my dream car since I was 6 years old, that's why I always wait for the right car, hahaha.

Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #19
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtowncb

Premium
6MT
EDC
Cold Weather
Nav
M Drive
Individual Audio

Forgot to ask you, where did you find the car? was it listed in the forum or what website?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
downtowncb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just found it on Craigslist. I kept my eye on Autotrader and Ebay, but people were asking in the mid to high $40's in my area for very comparable M3's on those sites. The Seattle area market is really funny though, for a relatively large middle class population, there are surprisingly few sports cars. It is almost nothing like the bay area. I used to live in SLO before I moved up here and it is depressing how few nice cars there are comparatively. The previous owner was a Microsoft employee and he said he had tried to sell it at work on their company intranet and a few other places and had received fairly little interest, until I came along lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #21
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
Just found it on Craigslist. I kept my eye on Autotrader and Ebay, but people were asking in the mid to high $40's in my area for very comparable M3's on those sites. The Seattle area market is really funny though, for a relatively large middle class population, there are surprisingly few sports cars. It is almost nothing like the bay area. I used to live in SLO before I moved up here and it is depressing how few nice cars there are comparatively. The previous owner was a Microsoft employee and he said he had tried to sell it at work on their company intranet and a few other places and had received fairly little interest, until I came along lol.
Wow, lucky you man! Totally have to keep my eyes on Craigslist now. Thanks man! Enjoy your ride
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #22
downtowncb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Haha thank you, I do love the car, puts a grin on my face every morning!

I had the seller on the phone arranging a meeting a couple of minutes after finding the post. I had it checked out by a local shop and when everything looked good I wired him the money, all done in under a week. Found exactly what I was looking for so I jumped on it .

Good luck, you'll find the right one, just gotta be patient.
Appreciate 0