BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

05-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
tallycoolies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Interlagos Blue M3

May 15th at LRP

Just signed up for the May 15th LRP event. Who else's going? It's my first event with BMW CCA club and I guess it's similar to the other organization. It takes about 3 and half hour for me to get there... any of you guys that are going meeting up somewhere in Jersey? cause if the event starts like around 7 a.m, which it will most likely, I might have to get a room near LRP. Also, does BMW CCA allow cruise cam? and after market tinting? mine is 20 percent but I think I'm SOL... lol... Please let me know~

E92 M3 Coupe\Interlagos Blue\6MT\18"\Technology PK\Premium Sound\Moon Roof\H&R Sport Springs\UUC SSK\GP Thunder 8500K H8 & 12000K HID Xenon\MB Grill\VSR Ti Exhaust\AA X-pipe\AA ECU\AA pulley\VSR CF rear diffuser\VSR CF boot lid\Painted Reflector\Gruppe M CAI\VSR Frontlip\Volk TE-37 19'
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I'll be there. NASA let me use cruisecam today, but it had to point toward the passanger seat and I had to ride solo. BMW CCA has allowed for it in the past.
      05-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Will be there too and I think Manny 212 and Monsta will also go.

I am going to stay around there night before (Iron Masters Inn in Lakeville, CT).

I will be running in the novice group and based on the feedback of my "mentor", I will not install my Pagid Yellow pads this time, and he also said that they will not allow the cruise cam as it could possibly bother/injure the instructor.

I am still working down my list of supplies, etc. Today I ordered a few things from Bavarian Autosport.

See you there (rain.... or shine)

Last edited by MTROIS; 05-06-2009 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I'll be there, but with my E46 328i sedan. Should be a great day.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
I will be running in the novice group and based on the feedback of my "mentor", I will not install my Pagid Yellow pads this time,
That doesn't make any sense to me. How are the Pagids going to be an issue for you? Is he saying they will provide too much grip and you won't be able to modulate the brakes properly given this is your first track day? If that is the rationale, I don't buy it at all. Or is he concerned you'll trigger ABS or something every time you get on the brakes? That is not a concern either. Does he know about the dozens of E92 M3 drivers who drove home with a vibrating pedal because of stock pad deposits? You won't be going all out on your first day, but I seriously don't see how you can't benefit from the pads regardless. Stock pads are not designed for the track. It's that simple. It even says that in the manual.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you there...
      05-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Is he saying they will provide too much grip and you won't be able to modulate the brakes properly given this is your first track day? If that is the rationale, I don't buy it at all.
Anyway, looking forward to meeting you there...
Hey Lucid!

That is exactly what they said....I won't be able to 'feel' the brakes.

In any case, I agree with you and I am still on the verge of swapping them.

Thanks again for all your great posts; they always contain a lot of hindsights and great info!!!

Looking forward to meeting you!
      05-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is exactly what they said....I won't be able to 'feel' the brakes.

In any case, I agree with you and I am still on the verge of swapping them.
Hey MTROIS. Who exactly did you speak with? Your instructor or some other person at the club? I offerred my opinion, and stand behind it, but it does help to "manage" your relationship with your instructor if he is the one who made the suggestion. But I suspect you spoke with someone who is been assigned to help you prepeare and and has track experience, but is not an instructor.

RS19s don't grab all that hard. If anything, they will help your pedal feel once the brakes warm up compared to the stock pads. And they offer plenty of cold grip IMO. Again, you won't be going all that fast, but you will make about 15 120-40 stops and several smaller brake adjustments in 25 minutes. Having said this, you don't want to be worrying about this too much on your first day. If you will swap them in, do it at least a week before the event and drive around with them (I normally don't take them out at all). Don't do it the day before. Cheers.
      05-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
tallycoolies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am sooooo pissed.... just yesterday fell down the damn stairs and fractured my hand. I won't be on the track for at least a month..... WTF!!! Have fun guys~~ maybe will be able to shift gears with my cast on after surgery... lol..

E92 M3 Coupe\Interlagos Blue\6MT\18"\Technology PK\Premium Sound\Moon Roof\H&R Sport Springs\UUC SSK\GP Thunder 8500K H8 & 12000K HID Xenon\MB Grill\VSR Ti Exhaust\AA X-pipe\AA ECU\AA pulley\VSR CF rear diffuser\VSR CF boot lid\Painted Reflector\Gruppe M CAI\VSR Frontlip\Volk TE-37 19'
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallycoolies View Post
I am sooooo pissed.... just yesterday fell down the damn stairs and fractured my hand. I won't be on the track for at least a month..... WTF!!! Have fun guys~~ maybe will be able to shift gears with my cast on after surgery... lol..

Sorry to read this!!! Get well and hope to see you on a track soon.
      05-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry to read this!!! Get well and hope to see you on a track soon.
+1
      05-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

MTROIS, Monsta,

I'll probably drive out there in the morning, and arrive around 7:30. Whoever gets there first should reserve space for 3 cars so we can park and hang out together.

LRP does not have garages. It's just a parking lot, which is kind of annoying in the rain. Just park anywhere on the lot, but not on grass!

Also, bring water and a sandwich. Nearest gas station is about 6-7 miles away, so full tank would be good unless you want to pay $7/gallon.

See you guys on Friday!
      05-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep

Lucid,

I will be staying at an Inn near the track so I should be there on time to reserve some space for us!
I hope Monsta will make it because based on the phone discussion we had today it does not look like he was really prepared....
      05-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #13
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think Monsta will get his ass in gear and show up! He can't miss his first track event with the car. That will result in a ban!
      05-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Lucid,

I will be staying at an Inn near the track so I should be there on time to reserve some space for us!
I hope Monsta will make it because based on the phone discussion we had today it does not look like he was really prepared....
Quote:
I think Monsta will get his ass in gear and show up! He can't miss his first track event with the car. That will result in a ban!
yeah I can't believe this day snuck up on me, I was completely oblivious to how close this trackday is....what worse is that I may not be able to attend b/c of my WINDOW TINT!!! WTF!!! I have to take a pic of car from 15 feet away to show how dark it is and maybe get an exception to attend the track day...its raining out so its not going to help any w/ making the tint appear a little lighter...I'm pissed to say the least

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

That sucks man...

Get a flamethrower and burn them tint off!

Hope to see you there at some capacity.
      05-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #16
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sucks man...

Get a flamethrower and burn them tint off!

Hope to see you there at some capacity.
I'm thinking about taking them off but not solely for b/c of this day, if no other org is going to let me drive with them b/c of tints then off they go or I'll get lighter, I gotta look into the rules of other orgs, function > looks, I rather enjoy my car by driving it then have it look good to & be a poser...I emailed the chief of tech my pictures over casted day isn't helping though, I had to email them by 12noon today before he heads out to CT if he doesn't get back to me I'm pulling the plug on my day. No way I'm heading up there with no reassurance that I will be let onto the track. I got my car all packed up ready to go too

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
tallycoolies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'd rather take tint out the windows than have this stupid hand fracture.... but seriously Bill, good luck with that. Hope they have like a waiver or something. Still cant believe that I cant go.....

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep

Monsta,

Any way you can remove the tint?? That would really suck, and I am quite sure that other groups would have a similar rule. Anyhow, keep us posted.

As for me, I am all packed and ready to go... hope the weather will be on our side tomorrow.
      05-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just swapped in the pads in the parking lot at work! I'll take the back seat out and load the tires up shortly, and will be ready to go!

Good luck with the tint Monsta. Sorry you can't make it tallycoolies.
      05-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #20
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

well I regret to inform you all that I will not be attending tomorrow b/c of my tints...I will get it corrected just not going to jump into my back seat and try prying it off...sucks big time had I known this before I may have never gone ahead w/ tinting it...
I may shoot up there in the early after noon just to check you guys running a little but not sure yet, I've been really busy at work & working tomorrow will benefit me more (did I just say that )

Dave, sorry about your hand heal up quickly, don't you have tints too?

They are going to issue me a credit towards another event if I correct the tint

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #21
tallycoolies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've done my track days with PDA only, and they care less about my 20% tint. However, I remember one instructor telling me about BMWCCA events, and how they are so fuss about things like tint, mods and etc. Shame that u cant make it Bill!! I was at LRP with tinted windows and it was raining, had no issues. You have all ur windows open anyway cant really see why they dont allow those.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #22
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallycoolies View Post
I've done my track days PDA only, and they care less about my 20% tint. However, I remember one instructor telling me about BMWCCA events, and how they are so fuss about things like tint, mods and etc. Shame that u cant make it Bill!! I was at LRP with tinted windows and it was raining, had no issues. You have all ur windows open anyway cant really see why they dont allow those.
Its not the side windows that they care about only the front & rear is their issue. I guess maybe I should just stick to other organizations, I guess you would have had my same problem if you would have attended tomorrow but your hand is the cause not the tints like my case...I'm really pissed about it to be honest b/c I was really looking forward to my first track day. I'm looking to sign up for another one ASAP, reading up all the rules of every org...

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
Appreciate 0