BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

10-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

FINALLY got to the track!!

Track: NJMP-Thunderbolt
Organization: AudiNA NJ Chapter
Dates: Oct 12-13th
Group: Green
Instructor: Mike aka Skierman64 of M3post
Cars in Green: VW GTI (Racaros, SeatBelt harness, No Rear seats, Upgraded brakes & minor engine mods), VW Beatle Sport, Audi S4, S5 & R8 V8, Mini Cooper, Audi Avant (only day 1) and myself in the ///M

First and foremost I would like to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Mike for doing such a great job instructing me during my first two trackdays, he gave me constant feed back on my good & bad driving. I would have never imagined to have bumped into Mike @ an Audi trackday let alone have him as my instructor, it was nice to have a familiar face to have as a passenger especially @ the track During my ride alongs w/ Mike I was able to see how his precise instruction translated in his FASTER driving and I was able to see the track from a different viewpoint.

I personally am not new to the Track experience b/c I have done about 20 trackdays on my motorcycles (Barber, Pocono, NHIS, Summit Point) like others have told me I do believe that my prior experience Riding on the track helped me w/ a smoother transition over to Car Trackdays.

Needless to say my first day started off w/ a bit of nervousness from all the anticipation to get onto the track. After our class room session we had our first RIDE ALONG in our Instructors car so we can learn the track and see what the proper line is, then after about 2 laps we switched over into our own cars and did more of same Learning the track and line w/ our instructors giving directions. After a couple laps the jitters started to fade away and I was able to start picking up the pace and focus on Mikes instruction: BRAKE, TURNIN NOW!!, TRACKOUT, GET ON IT wash rinse & repeat, by the end of my first session my cheeks were starting to feel sore from smiling

Fast forward to the end of Day 2, Mike is giving minor instructions b/c I've learned the line and have been keeping a nice quick pace. There were some places were I could have carried more speed into the corners and Mike would inform me of this & the following lap my goal was to make sure I corrected my mistake. My biggest issue arose when I really started picking up the pace and started staying @ WOT on the front straight until the Braking marker 5, I was having difficulty jamming on the break, downshifting & smoothly releasing the clutch so I would avoid wheel hop & unsettling the backend, Mikes instruction helped me correct it once again but then after a couple laps I would again return to releasing the clutch too quickly...I would correct it and then again make the same stupid mistake I need to start practicing my Heat Toe more

The M performed flawlessly and I ran most of the 2days in EDC Sport & Power off w/ MDM on, MDM kicked in probably a hand full of times when I would get on the power a little too early while Tracking Out, Brakes are stock except for upgraded brake fluid and also performed great but had minor chatter from all the heavy braking but they never lost their bite.

Mike installed his Kodak camera for one session on day2 and I'm eager to see myself in action again and see my lines and how I can improve them for the next time I go down to Thunderbolt

I wish it wasn't October so I didn't have to wait so many months to get back on the track but next year I'll be aiming to get at least a 1 or 2 days a month during the season once again I'm hooked See you @ the track
Attached Images

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car

Last edited by monsta; 10-15-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Welcme to the party!! Great car isn't it
      10-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Welcme to the party!! Great car isn't it
Yes but this I knew when I first drove it when I got it in 08 but now I'm more in love with it...car is fast and nimble

During all the sessions I was passing pretty much at-will but not b/c of HP b/c my friend in the GTI was keeping up in the corners but by the end of day 2 it started getting pretty difficult for him until I started to let up b/c of fatigue....

I maintained pretty good lines through out the two days and that counts more then speed...

'09 X5 35d SG/SB

Last edited by monsta; 10-15-2010 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Agreed. Just don't realize how good this car is until you go to the track and realize the biggest liability with this car is the driver. IMO only way to truly appreciate this car.
      10-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Congrats. Sounds like a fun weekend.
Put more tape on that car!! If you're going to track a few times year, just spend the $150 and get a Colgan bra. It's much easier to install than taping the car up.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Congrats. Sounds like a fun weekend.
Put more tape on that car!! If you're going to track a few times year, just spend the $150 and get a Colgan bra. It's much easier to install than taping the car up.
no worries the entire front end is clearbra'd but i'm considering getting a Colgan Bra for winter, might not look as pretty but winter salt & rocks suck so it will be an added layer of protection

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Agreed. Just don't realize how good this car is until you go to the track and realize the biggest liability with this car is the driver. IMO only way to truly appreciate this car.
definitely!! very well said, this car really shows its strength on the track, its fun on the street but there are too many dangerous factors out there to be pushing it...

if I wasn't going away Halloween weekend I would have signed up w/ NASA for Tbolt they are down there 29th-31st

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

You should also look into PCA and BMW CCA hosted events at NJMP - great organization, great cars and lots of track time.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Looks like you had a good time! Small world that Mike was your instructor!
      10-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
You should also look into PCA and BMW CCA hosted events at NJMP - great organization, great cars and lots of track time.
Will definitely go with these orgs, for NJBMWCCA I'm either going to remove my tint or have a lighter tint installed on the rear window, I'm going to do as many trackdays my pocket & time allows lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
Looks like you had a good time! Small world that Mike was your instructor!
definitely Mike is an amazing instructor & driver, I hope next year he comes to the East Coast & does some trackdays so he can instruct me again

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

I would say that my first track day has changed me forever.
Seems like yours did too.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dntlvet View Post
I would say that my first track day has changed me forever.
Seems like yours did too.
yes it has, but I kinda new it would happen to me b/c I remember how it felt the first time I rode my bike on the track & each time after....simply AMAZING feeling & I can't wait until next year!!

As a matter of fact I might be driving down to FL in late January early Feb, if I do I'm going to see if their are any trackdays being held down @ any of the Southern tracks....would love to do Barber (rode it) & Road Atlanta

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

what tires were you using?

Do you recommend for beginner HPDE events that stock brake pads with upgraded fluid is sufficient? How did the pads feel later that day when you drove the car home?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
what tires were you using?

Do you recommend for beginner HPDE events that stock brake pads with upgraded fluid is sufficient? How did the pads feel later that day when you drove the car home?
I used Michelin PS2's on 19' RAC's...

As a beginner that hasn't done any trackdays I do recommend using the stock brake pads w/ upgraded fluid, for the simple fact that you get to really feel what your stock pads are capable of. My brakes held up great IMO, maybe at a track with harder braking zones they may have not fared too well but for Thunderbolt IMO they were perfect. If I was 2-3 seconds faster then maybe I would have felt them wear more, but they felt great through out the two days with only minor chatter from brake residue build up. Even though it had the buildup I still felt they didn't lose too much bite and the drive home they were fine & now all the residue is gone.

I have a set of RS19 Pagid that I will be installing early next season & maybe I'll upgrade my lines too, I'm not going to spend big $ on a BBK instead I'm going to use that money to do more trackdays (if time allows) & my 2-3yr plan is to buy a used E46 to convert to trackduty.

My goal for next year will be 2trackdays a month during the entire season

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I've been tardy on my post in this thread. Monsta told me he posted here but I just didn't take the time to make a few comments.

First off, it was a pleasure having him as a student. I had a few newbies as students this season and he was the best. Obviously his previous motorcycle track experience carried over to driving the M3 and he has a natural understanding of car dynamics that is sometimes lost on newbies until they get some track time under their belts.

It was fun to instruct him in the M3, his cars handled predictably and the braking and acceleration were impressive, even without any power mods (except exhaust). Speaking of exhaust, this Vorsteiner sounded amazing without being too loud. I might have to spring for one instead of putting all my extra cash into my track car.

I primarily instruct with the BMWCCA but I have also instructed with Audi. Both organizations run similar schools and run them in a professional and very safe manner.

If anyone has questions about HPDE's be sure to drop me a line.

Monsta, it was my pleasure, thanks for contributing to a great weekend at the track, and for letting me stay in the empty room at the condo, saving me a few hours of driving.