BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

Question on attaching Performance Spoiler Lip

I got the performance Spoiler today and I got the stock wing of with no problem. My question is do you have to use the betalink adhesive or can you just use 3m double sided tape. Also what 3m double sided tape is best. I did search but couldn't find answer
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

3M Double is fine. Make sure to clean both the surface it is being applied to as well as the spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any recommendation on what 3m tape to use
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Just do it right and follow BMW's factory instructions and use betalink. I promise you 3M tape will not hold up in the long run. Looks crappy too forming a slight gap. Don't fear the betalink.. just get a buddy to help line it up for you and dive in. The included betaclean will fix any errors. Use a pick (like a dental type) to fix errors once it's all dry.

You're in NJ. if your car is subject to freezing/heating conditions that tape will eventually fail. And even if it doesn't.. it still looks bad, due to the gap.
      04-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Okay! I won't fear the betalink can You get that from any BMW parts department. Also do you recommend using double sided tape and the betalink or just use the beta link everywhere. What I was thinking of doing is using the adhesive on the flat panel and on the conners of the wing everywhere else use the tape. Good or bad idea and thanks both of you for all the help
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

+1 vote for 3M tape only. What I used and have had no problems for over a year.
      04-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
Okay! I won't fear the betalink can You get that from any BMW parts department. Also do you recommend using double sided tape and the betalink or just use the beta link everywhere. What I was thinking of doing is using the adhesive on the flat panel and on the conners of the wing everywhere else use the tape. Good or bad idea and thanks both of you for all the help
Use betalink everywhere. I have seen the job a shop did where they 3M taped the side and betalink'ed everywhere else. Looks like crap. What happens, then, is if you don't lay the betalink on ultra thick, it forms a webbing between the spoiler and the trunk due to the spoiler being raised that small amount on each end (remember it's CF = stiff). That, and the bond will be very weak to non-existent where you laid down betalink.

You buy OEM parts because of their exceptional fit and finish, right? Putting 3M on is a cop out. When you use the betalink, the spoiler fits beautifully onto the trunk. Install is not as bad as people make it out to be. Just take your time.

Some tips:
- test fit it. Put a fingerprint or smudge in your paint just inside of where the outer edge needs to be on each side
- wear gloves.. stuff is silly toxic
- liberally spread it all along the contact edges
- have a friend help you lower the spoiler into position and monitor the other side's alignment
- once its in position, you have to some time to slide it around to make it perfect. At this time, have your friend ready with betaclean and a microfibre cloth to quickly grab any large blobs
- once it's dry, use the pick to carefully pull (yes, it will be like rubber) off any exposed betalink

Remember, many of the users claiming that 3M is perfectly fine are either in a persistently warm climate (e.g., no -20*C) or aren't too OCD about their fit and finish.
      04-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Used 3M on my spoiler. No gaps, no problems. It's been in "freezing conditions" in PA and VA too, and no issues. I've had it for well over a year. Take your time and put it on the right way and you won't have problems. I think I posted mine on here somewhere, you can't see a single gap. If you have steady hands, you're good.

Betalink is good too, but it's a hassle and it gets everywhere. Used it on my VRS diffuser. It looks good now, but I spent more time cleaning it up than actually putting it on.

The tape is also cheaper, and you can get it at Autozone or something, don't have to visit the stealership and pay more. If you look for it there, I think it's usually called 3M automotive adhesive tape or something.

Last edited by Templar; 04-19-2012 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Just do it right and follow BMW's factory instructions and use betalink. I promise you 3M tape will not hold up in the long run. Looks crappy too forming a slight gap. Don't fear the betalink.. just get a buddy to help line it up for you and dive in. The included betaclean will fix any errors. Use a pick (like a dental type) to fix errors once it's all dry.

You're in NJ. if your car is subject to freezing/heating conditions that tape will eventually fail. And even if it doesn't.. it still looks bad, due to the gap.

This is a good advice...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
The guy that says 3M tape is a cop out is clueless. 3M tape is used to hold siding onto some sky scrapers and is just as strong as adhesive. The double sided tape contracts and expands. Don't be paranoid and just use the 3M double sided automotive grade foam tape.

If you're still paranoid after watching this vid, you've got issues:
All I know is, when I tried to install a roof spoiler with 3M tape, it didn't really seal the spoiler, sure it stuck but edges were not sealed.

I think the 3M auto tape is really sensitive to temprature, so if it's not above 70deg or if is very humid, results may vary.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
All I know is, when I tried to install a roof spoiler with 3M tape, it didn't really seal the spoiler, sure it stuck but edges were not sealed.

I think the 3M auto tape is really sensitive to temprature, so if it's not above 70deg or if is very humid, results may vary.
This is true. The edges will not be 100% sealed if you use tape. The OEM lip is put on with tape, that is why I chose 3M. However, if you tape it along the edges properly and adhere it properly to the trunk, the gaps will be extremely small and really won't look much different than the OEM lip.

I can say that higher speeds (120+) have had no bad effects on mine. Also, the heat and humidity of VA and NC during the summer has also had no ill effects. The freezing temps of PA during the winter had no effects either.
      04-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
This is true. The edges will not be 100% sealed if you use tape. The OEM lip is put on with tape, that is why I chose 3M. However, if you tape it along the edges properly and adhere it properly to the trunk, the gaps will be extremely small and really won't look much different than the OEM lip.

I can say that higher speeds (120+) have had no bad effects on mine. Also, the heat and humidity of VA and NC during the summer has also had no ill effects. The freezing temps of PA during the winter had no effects either.
that is good news to me I'm thinking about the performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
The OEM lip is put on with tape, that is why I chose 3M.
Exactly my reasoning as well.
      04-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
Gatchaman
Rep
Drives: 12 M3 AW DCT

What's the best way to remove the one that comes on the car? Heat, dental floss and cleaner? what kind of cleaner is best? I have used floss and goo gone removing badges off cars.

There is a video on YouTube showing a plastic pry bar. don't think I want to do that. I should have done the spoiler delete. I pick it up soon at PCD.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Same problem if you try to do the perf spoiler with tape. If you have even the most minor of gaps, water will pool there and leave rain-like marks on your paint after you wash your car. In other words, you'll never have an entirely clean and detailed car immediately after washing. You'll see little bubbles after driving for a while from the fluid that has shifted around. Not a huge problem, but if you're detailing, you'll be annoyed at the ring left behind as a water mark. So 3M is doable but you need to be diligent and ensure completely flush, even coverage all along the contact surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
The guy that says 3M tape is a cop out is clueless. 3M tape is used to hold siding onto some sky scrapers and is just as strong as adhesive. The double sided tape contracts and expands. Don't be paranoid and just use the 3M double sided automotive grade foam tape.
Right. So myself and BMW are both totally clueless. Just because you were too afraid to use the right tools, doesn't mean everyone else is clueless. Like really. You're calling people who follow BMW OE instructions (and bodyshop advice) clueless. OK.

Quote:
The OEM lip is put on with tape, that is why I chose 3M.
Keep in mind, the perf spoiler is substantially larger than the OEM spoiler, and raked at a significant angle such that drag forces on it at speeds will be exponentially higher than the OEM spoiler.

Am I saying you'll have problems with 3M? Not necessarily. That comes down to your proficiency as an installer. All I'm advocating here is that you follow BMW instructions and use their official body adhesive that is used all over the car in other areas. It's not hard.. people who choose 3M tape generally do so because of the perception that it is easier.

Anyway, a a quick google across other boards as well show that spoilers falling off isn't exactly impossible with 3M tape.
      04-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

I've had mine on for almost a year WITH 3M tape...It's been fine in extreme heat and cold up here in NY and i DD my car through the winter. Put it on properly, close to the edges and you will have NO issues with a 3M install. I've done a high speed run or two also....

I used 3M primarily so i could remove the spoiler without snapping it in half, when and/if i choose to do so. Betalink is as close to permanent as you can get.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
kindafast2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post

Right. So myself and BMW are both totally clueless. Just because you were too afraid to use the right tools, doesn't mean everyone else is clueless. Like really. You're calling people who follow BMW OE instructions (and bodyshop advice) clueless. OK.
4G63 is a dumb A, don't pay attention to him.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I just installed mine this past weekend, got betalink from the dealer didnt use it. Decided to go with 3m tape and I'm happy with the results, perfect fit absolutely no gaps. I've been using 3m tape for many years and never had any issues.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

You guys with your tape need to watch out for the werido with fishing line...LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #20
Rakus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Competition

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I just installed my CF competition spoiler on my trunk. Same thing thought of using 3M tape. But spoiler came with beta link and cleaning solution. Beta link basically becomes 3M tape after it adheres. I had a friend help, we applied he beta link to the contact areas with a small spatula provided, and layed it down without any issues. Fits like a glove. Then we applied a little more like chauking around all edges and wiped off the excess. It looks like it was factory installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #21
Gatchaman
Rep
Drives: 12 M3 AW DCT

no response on best practice for removal of factory spoiler and prep for CF? I pick it up in 11 days.
Appreciate 0