BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

09-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Smokin' time at NJMP

More drama during my recent visit to New Jersey Motorsports Park. I was following a Corvette at Lightning coming around turn 3, when he started to put out a little puff of smoke from the rear. Then his engine just let go. I was caught in a cloud of grey-white smoke for what seemed like an eternity at the time. I couldn't see squat, and just hoped he drove it off to the outside as I braked and went to the inside. Luckily I guessed correctly.

Sorry to see it happen to the guy, but sure happy I didn't hit him and make things even worse.

Happens at 3:09:

09-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Were you there to just torture Vette's all day? Lol. Glad nothing happened! I think I would have tried to pull off to the left. But I can't tell what was behind you which is the real worry. I think this demonstrates the importance of being aware of who is around (and behind) you. Makes these quick decisions easier.

But, I would never assume anything with advanced drivers. I saw one guy go off and then come back on right after a crest in a hill. A Mustang came hauling ass (~80mph) over it just as he came back on.0 Luckily the mustang turned and locked up the wheels...it would have been bad. The Mustang also missed a yellow flag though.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Were you there to just torture Vette's all day? Lol. Glad nothing happened! I think I would have tried to pull off to the left. But I can't tell what was behind you which is the real worry. I think this demonstrates the importance of being aware of who is around (and behind) you. Makes these quick decisions easier.

But, I would never assume anything with advanced drivers. I saw one guy go off and then come back on right after a crest in a hill. A Mustang came hauling ass (~80mph) over it just as he came back on.0 Luckily the mustang turned and locked up the wheels...it would have been bad. The Mustang also missed a yellow flag though.
Ha! Yep, it was a day of close encounters with Vettes.

I typically run high intermediate, and have done advanced a couple of times. It's hit-or-miss with advanced: I either hold my own without a problem, or end up driving my mirrors, giving constant point-bys to race-prepped Corvettes, GT3s, etc. Just depends on the composition of cars and drivers in that particular event. This event I ran high intermediate.

I would assume that advanced drivers are more disciplined and predictable, but it sounds like you've found it to be the opposite.
      09-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Ha! Yep, it was a day of close encounters with Vettes.

I typically run high intermediate, and have done advanced a couple of times. It's hit-or-miss with advanced: I either hold my own without a problem, or end up driving my mirrors, giving constant point-bys to race-prepped Corvettes, GT3s, etc. Just depends on the composition of cars and drivers in that particular event. This event I ran high intermediate.

I would assume that advanced drivers are more disciplined and predictable, but it sounds like you've found it to be the opposite.
No, the advanced drivers seem to be more predictable but a lot depends on the definition of advanced in that organization. There was one organization that asked "who's an advanced driver, raise your hand"...not so good. I run advanced with The Driver's edge here in Texas and there are a lot of really good and really fast drivers.

I know how you feel but you should step up to advanced. In my case, the biggest difference was trail braking. Everyone was doing it except for me...so my left arm got wore out on the first day. I wanna say I was averaging 10 point bys a session...it was ridiculous. It helped me because it taught me the value of trail braking and it was great challenge that I now have to step up to. I've been working on my trail braking and can hold my own now. Maybe 5 point bys a session now...and I can even hold off the Miata's!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Advanced is a bit scarier as have seen more bad offs in that group than any others. That being said, I love running in advanced. The point by spots (in corners) and level of cars is truly awesome! I love seeing a Porsche Cup car coming up on my ass as I'm making the pass on a vette Back in topic, had a S/C stang blow in front of me at Road America, I'll try and dig up the video. Some scary shit.
      09-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Scary. Luckily you were able to avoid there. Everything looked good up until that point.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Advanced is a bit scarier as have seen more bad offs in that group than any others. That being said, I love running in advanced. The point by spots (in corners) and level of cars is truly awesome! I love seeing a Porsche Cup car coming up on my ass as I'm making the pass on a vette Back in topic, had a S/C stang blow in front of me at Road America, I'll try and dig up the video. Some scary shit.
What point bys??? At least 2 of the groups I run with have no point bys for advanced, a whole different ball game. Not to mention the TT'ers taking it easy for 4-5 laps, then blasting through for 2 laps and pitting in, or every other driver trying alternate lines and the occasional wanna-be racer divebombing people on turns. A couple of months ago one of the drivers posted a video of his "trying" out a new car and going 4-wheels off on every single session, on the club's official site.

Despite all of this, it's mostly predictable as people in advanced have good situational awareness. Oh yeah and it's fun as hell.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

Whoa! Lucky!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
I'm always amazed that in the advanced group there's a ton of cars but there's so much more room on the track!

I think the differences is in the beginner and intermediate, you do see some offs more from driver errors and cars are going slower.

In advanced, you see offs at much higher speeds from blow ups, parts flying off, and on track EPA disasters. If there's one thing I've observed...the higher the run group, the shittier the cars. Then the instructors group mostly looks like a rolling junk yard.

Plus, beginners haven't been beating on their cars for very long. Advanced drivers generally have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
What point bys??? At least 2 of the groups I run with have no point bys for advanced, a whole different ball game. Not to mention the TT'ers taking it easy for 4-5 laps, then blasting through for 2 laps and pitting in, or every other driver trying alternate lines and the occasional wanna-be racer divebombing people on turns. A couple of months ago one of the drivers posted a video of his "trying" out a new car and going 4-wheels off on every single session, on the club's official site.

Despite all of this, it's mostly predictable as people in advanced have good situational awareness. Oh yeah and it's fun as hell.
Is that NASA? I've understood that TT has no point bys. Have not ran with NASA yet.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Is that NASA? I've understood that TT has no point bys. Have not ran with NASA yet.
Yes and not just TT. Neither HPDE4 (advanced) nor TT require point-bys as long as the session is not combined with DE3.

For that same reason you cannot buy track insurance for HPDE4.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Wow. Close one there!

What harness are you using?

Also, I notice you are short shifting before redline...doesn't seem like you need the extra revs.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena NYC View Post
Wow. Close one there!

What harness are you using?

Also, I notice you are short shifting before redline...doesn't seem like you need the extra revs.
Harness is the Schroth Quickfit Pro (Mini application--works for the M3--see the last 4 or so pages of the 17-page thread in this section regarding the Quickfits).

I might be short shifting a little bit at certain times, but I've found that the RPM readout on my RaceKeeper system is not entirely accurate. It seems to read a bit lower than the actual engine RPM. Which is strange, because it's pulling the data from the OBD-II port. But then again, it gets throttle position info from the OBD-II port as well, and when I'm at 100% throttle, the RaceKeeper only reads it as 75%. Must be a calibration issue. In any case, I try to shift based on the shift lights in the tach, and I get well into the yellow most of the time, with occasional trips to the soft cutout.