BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)

Question Launch Control

If their are any SMG E46 owners out there tell me somthing... how do you engage the launch control in the M3? do US-spec cars have it?

The new 7-speed on the way allegedly has L/C and throttle blips on downshifts, wonder if it will operate similar to the E46's SMG

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Yeah, the US-spec cars have it, but my experience w/ SMG is limited.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobimmerboy View Post
If their are any SMG E46 owners out there tell me somthing... how do you engage the launch control in the M3? do US-spec cars have it?

The new 7-speed on the way allegedly has L/C and throttle blips on downshifts, wonder if it will operate similar to the E46's SMG

Both the E46 M3 SMG and E60 M3 SMG had launch control but for the US, it was a somewhat handicapped version of LC. For the E46, it was a "hidden" feature while for the E60, LC worked the same as the european cars except the rpm's at which the SMG "dumped" the clutch was much lower. I haven't tried LC in a long time but I believe it dumped it at around 1600 rpms in my M5. This still resulted in a decent launch but not as dramatic as the RoW M5's 4k+ rpm dump.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobimmerboy View Post

From a day to day functional POV DCT will likely behave EXACTLY like SMG. In manual mode shift with shifter or with paddles. A variety of manual and auto modes. I would be willing to guarantee rev matching on downshifts. It would simply be ludicrous if M-DCT did note offer this feature. All existing production systems (Audi and Mitsubishi) do offer this.

On LC my strong suspicion is a sort of crippled LC for the US compared to EU. The good thing there is this could likely be defeated (taken to EU version) solely with software. I should pose the question on m5board.com if anyone ever accomplished this.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
From a day to day functional POV DCT will likely behave EXACTLY like SMG. In manual mode shift with shifter or with paddles. A variety of manual and auto modes. I would be willing to guarantee rev matching on downshifts. It would simply be ludicrous if M-DCT did note offer this feature. All existing production systems (Audi and Mitsubishi) do offer this.

On LC my strong suspicion is a sort of crippled LC for the US compared to EU. The good thing there is this could likely be defeated (taken to EU version) solely with software. I should pose the question on m5board.com if anyone ever accomplished this.
yes I agree with Swamp, that is the only issue with the US version of SMG...
but I have friends who over ride it with software and get their perfect launch

an example of software for this is ECS tuning

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
yes I agree with Swamp, that is the only issue with the US version of SMG...
but I have friends who over ride it with software and get their perfect launch

an example of software for this is ECS tuning
Over ride transmission software for which car? I thought ECS was VW/Audi only. Not clear from your comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 02:05 AM   #7
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Over ride transmission software for which car? I thought ECS was VW/Audi only. Not clear from your comments.
ECS tuning created a software for the SMG III on the E46 M3 where you can over ride the LC (launch control) from 1800 rpm to 3000 rpm...

I know they focus primarily on VW's and Audi's but Someone referred it to me a year and a half ago (I am looking for a link of selling on their website ecstuning.com)
Still am dry, I will find later...

But in conclusion I was just agreeing with you that 1800-3000 rpm launch is easily "fixable" but you may be voiding warranty... unless dealership won't notice the software...

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 03:07 AM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ECS tuning created a software for the SMG III on the E46 M3 where you can over ride the LC (launch control) from 1800 rpm to 3000 rpm.
Cool, great. The first I have definitively heard of hacking BMW tranny software.

This could be possible with the steering as well! If normal feels too boosted and sport feels "better", but not great, this may be controllable purely by software.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwithholes View Post
is it possible to have a 6krpm launch for a FWD car?
Only if you are watching a snake eat a cricket.

Seriously, WTF.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You don't speak English? WTF
You think your post was remotely on topic?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
ECS tuning created a software for the SMG III on the E46 M3 where you can over ride the LC (launch control) from 1800 rpm to 3000 rpm...

I know they focus primarily on VW's and Audi's but Someone referred it to me a year and a half ago (I am looking for a link of selling on their website ecstuning.com)
Still am dry, I will find later...

But in conclusion I was just agreeing with you that 1800-3000 rpm launch is easily "fixable" but you may be voiding warranty... unless dealership won't notice the software...

...SMG II SMG III is found on the M5/M6.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 03:12 AM   #12
Ted
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
You don't think the topic is on Launch Control?
The topic is launch control, however launch control is a system designed to get a performance car, typically with an SMG gearbox, off the line as quick as possible.

A performance car is typically RWD only and sometimes AWD, I cannot think of a FWD genuine performance car nor a FWD car with SMG.

Further this is a BMW forum who have never made a FWD car so I'd say is probably not relevant to anyone who may come across the question here.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for explaining that for him, Ted. I see he deleted his post, so it looks like he finally got the message.
Appreciate 0