BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

07-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #45
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

Don't feel threatened, this car is about HALF the cost (most important #) of a M3 and half the badge. I have yet to drive it, but the stats are insane. You can buy a used 335i and a brand new V8 Camaro for the same price of a new M3. Believe me, I am a BMW fan and will most likely not buy the camaro, but I can appreciate the cheap power/handling/effort.

Plus, only murderers drive Camaro's according to Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #46
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
Don't feel threatened, this car is about HALF the cost (most important #) of a M3 and half the badge. I have yet to drive it, but the stats are insane. You can buy a used 335i and a brand new V8 Camaro for the same price of a new M3. Believe me, I am a BMW fan and will most likely not buy the camaro, but I can appreciate the cheap power/handling/effort.

Plus, only murderers drive Camaro's according to Jeremy Clarkson
The Camaro drives nice, not a M3, but like others have said you can also get a vette and a 335I for the price of a M3
Plus the Vettes convertible does not leak like a waterfall either
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #47
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

half price half the handling and. Power and half the value In 5 to 8 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #48
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

If you must ask the question, then buy the Camaro.
      08-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #49
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

You get what you pay for. It's the truth. It will set you free.haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #50
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

its like saying M3 or ferrari italia. i like the camaro but different league
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #51
bigzig
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
Ugly then and ugly now
Agreed.

Am I the only one that despises all of this retro garbage coming out of Detroit?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #52
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
Agreed.

Am I the only one that despises all of this retro garbage coming out of Detroit?
I think you have a point. Some throw back styling is ok sometimes but it seems that Detroit is just going overboard with it; every freaking car they make has retro styling...it's been old and played out for a while.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #53
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
I think you have a point. Some throw back styling is ok sometimes but it seems that Detroit is just going overboard with it; every freaking car they make has retro styling...it's been old and played out for a while.

-SZ
But look at everything else they design. If all you can do is retro then I say keep doing it. The alternative is a Cobalt or as I like to call it a 15 year old Integra.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #54
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not enough room!!!

im stocked about the new mustang im getting one for my mom ;p
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #55
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
But look at everything else they design. If all you can do is retro then I say keep doing it. The alternative is a Cobalt or as I like to call it a 15 year old Integra.
...except perhaps for the SS version, which is a stupid fun track car. Right now, one of my sons (drives a C63 and supercharged GTO) is looking for one as a pretty much dedicated track vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #56
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Best review so far, imho:

"One of the least publicized aspects of the “New” GM is how much of the old company remains on the books. More to the point, bad ideas with new window dressings still reign (Cutlass) supreme. But not the new 2006—sorry, 2010—Chevrolet Camaro: this idea had the right stuff. On paper. In the real world?

Much like Jay Bernard’s Pontiac GTO rendition of 1999, the Camaro appeals more as an Alias-generated prototype viewed on a flat panel monitor. Sure, the proportions are suitably muscular. But someone forgot to sweat the details. The Camaro SS’s bulldog front bumper, pregnant fender flares and breadbox rear deck reek of haste, dying for an evening with a clay modeler’s wire-loop tool. And what the last F-body did for hatchbacks, the new Camaro does for the boot: reasonable space but cumbersome usage makes it a pointless endeavor. Combined with a skyward beltline and miniscule greenhouse, even the Camaro SS’s nine-inch wide rear wheels get lost in the flab. And this ain’t no sexy, slippery F-body. The new Camaro has the poise and elegance of Tenacious D on skateboards.

The interior reeks and creaks of GM interior’s stock and trade: look for visual pleasure, yet touch for sensory disapproval. Aside from stitched armrests on the SS’ door panels, Camaro occupants sit between a rock and a hard place. Faux silver trim accents the flimsy vent registers on a brittle dashboard, then encompass the area normally associated with cloth/vinyl padding on the door panels. (Even the Chevrolet Aveo got that right.) Sitting in the Camaro’s cramped rear cubby reinforces the impression. The interior is awash in a blandness that would not feel out of place in a Chrysler Sebring. What happened to the world-class interiors you promised, Mr. Lutz?

That’s not to say the Camaro’s interior can’t be fun. The busy analog gauges sit in retro square binnacles, while secondary readouts rest atop the console, with its pitch-perfect short handle shifter. The SS gets an ergonomic steering wheel complete with an M-series worthy logo on the bottom of the tiller. There’s a respectable Boston Acoustics audio system and the seats aren’t half bad . . . unless you try the thrones in a Dodge Challenger SRT-8.

But Camaro interiors have been crap for years. The spatial challenge never dissuaded the Bowtie faithful for one reason: Chevy’s small block V8. With six smooth-shifting, close-ratio speeds and a burly 6.3 liters and 422hp of LS3 underfoot, the SS’s performance is absolutely right for the nameplate. Aside from the (industry standard) practice of throttle delay at tip-in, the Camaro’s power is effortless, refined and angry enough to ruin an import’s day, one quarter-mile at a time. We’re torquing the mid-to-low 13 second range—much like the outgoing Camaro SS and its low-po LS1 mill.

All of this makes sense, given the fifth-generation Camaro’s portly underpinnings. Blessed with plenty of NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) reducing materials, an independent rear axle and the necessary bulk associated with the Zeta Platform, the 3800lb Camaro SS rides like a champ, obliterating any bump in the road, rolling down the highway like a refined German autobahn cruiser. Pony car heritage be damned, the new Camaro is made for Baby Boomers who remember the good ol’ days, but demand Lexus-like refinement in the prime of their lives.

Aye, there’s the rub. The Chevrolet Camaro still wanders like a lost Taliban in the Tora Bora; angry and full of vigor, but without any focused direction. No longer a Panhard-infused, knuckle-dragging back road barnstormer, the new Camaro has enough inertia-infused body roll to feel like an overstuffed gymnast in quick corners. The multi-branded Camaro/Brembo calipers have a Bumblebee-like identity crisis, but they stop like a Decepticon in Optimus Prime’s wake, sans nose-dive.

There’s a respectable amount of on-center steering feel. Navigating left hand turns around medians, pedestrians and subcompacts requires craning around the A-pillar to ensure a safe and speedy getaway. While it’s possible to drive the Camaro fast, don’t expect an easy time, what with a soft suspension under the hard and slippery bucket seats. Like most of today’s “Fat Elvis” American performance icons, the Chevrolet Camaro SS is suited to freeway sweepers, not SCCA road courses. And that’s a damn shame.

The fifth generation Camaro’s marketing push in the “new” GM’s portfolio notwithstanding, it appears the remnants of the old GM are alive and well. Uh-oh. If the latest Camaro was a clean sheet redesign, GM wouldn’t give the Zeta platform the time of day. It’s simply too big and heavy to provide the lively performance associated with the Camaro brand. Sorry, model. Even if GM’s platform engineers got the right bones for the beast, the crap interior proves that the “new” GM isn’t ready for the change that customers, taxpayers and the American economy expect from a company (supposedly) changing its ways."
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #57
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

the camaro is a hot hot car however theres nnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooo
comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #58
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Once you see the new Camero in person, you wonder why the pictures looked so good to you.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #59
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

American cars and their retro styling = fail
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #60
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: nothing

Corvettes probly the only good american sports car.
      08-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #61
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
If you boys like the Camaro your going to really like the 2011 5.0L Mustang GT.

3600lb car, 400+-hp/380lbft, AND it pulled better skidpad numbers than an M3, great handling car.

All for around 30k.
These skidpad numbers make me laugh. The 80's Camaro has better skidpad numbers than the new M3 (really, it does). Would you consider that a great handling car??
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #62
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post
Corvettes probly the only good american sports car.
The Viper does a good impression of a TVR without the reliability issues. That's not a bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #63
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
American cars and their retro styling = fail
But look at the alternative. Aztec. Neon. Cobalt. CTS. I say stick with the retro styling
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #64
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
...except perhaps for the SS version, which is a stupid fun track car. Right now, one of my sons (drives a C63 and supercharged GTO) is looking for one as a pretty much dedicated track vehicle.
I have no doubt. There's never been any argument about performance. It's design that's the problem with the small performance stuff. It's all old or dull or both.
Talking of track fun. Did you ever drive one of the original CRX Vtechs? That was a fun car. Perfect amount of power for grip and the VTech was so individual at the time it never let the grin leave your face. I drove the knackers off my brothers one every time I got in. Ahh the olden days
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #65
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
...Talking of track fun. Did you ever drive one of the original CRX Vtechs? That was a fun car. Perfect amount of power for grip and the VTech was so individual at the time it never let the grin leave your face. I drove the knackers off my brothers one every time I got in. Ahh the olden days
First time I drove one (off a dealer lot), I thought it was an understeering pig, but I hadn't had much experience with fwd at the time.

Years later, on track, I though they were a ball.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #66
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I think the Camaro is a very nice looking car: has anyone else noticed the exterior styling similarities to the A5?