BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

09-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
replaced primary o2 sensors, why am I still getting this code?

I got this code for both banks a couple weeks, so I decided to replace my primary o2 sensors with new bosch units. I'm running an ESS 550 kit for 1500 miles so far with cold start delete. One of the sensors I pulled out was pretty fouled, the other looks decent. One other issue I just resolved was a leaky bypass valve, causing my car to run very rich since i put the blower on. I tightened it and the car runs WAY smoother.

I reset the codes and cleared adaptations and this came back:

Code 272C Lambda sensor driver diagnostic heating NKAT Bank 1

If it were a fuse problem I would expect to get warnings for all o2 sensors.. so there must be something else wrong with the car contributing to this issue with brand new sensors.

Does cold start delete affect the warmup time for o2 sensors? Cold start has been deleted for a while, so I would have expected this issue sooner if that was the case.

Is there anything on the fuel delivery or ignition side that could contribute to an o2 sensor not heating up in the time specified by the factory ecu parameters?

I'm wondering if the engine is too rich on bank 1 on startup, the o2 sensor may not heat up fast enough?

Trying to think of scenarios to where this code could occur after new o2 sensor install....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #2
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

It's gotta be something to do with the tune, I'm not supercharged but tuned, had the same issue all I had to do was ask the tuner which by the way was great as always and he sent me a new more emmissions friendly tune and since then I haven't had any more of those codes come up.

I believe cold start does have something to do with it

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Update: I suspect I still have a vaccum leak somewhere or the ICV is going out. I'm smelling an oily intake smell through my vents on startup for a few seconds which I would think would point to a vac leak. Also, if the car has been sitting for <3-4 hours I get bouncy idle on startup that dips as low as 200 rpms and up to 800 for about 5 seconds.

I'm going to fix those issues, and then contact ESS if not resolved. I would think extremely rich conditions on startup could cause the o2's to not warm up fast enough, triggering the CEL.

Does anyone concur?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
A vacuum gauge would be a helpful tool here. A vacuum leak would normally pull air into the intake so I'm unclear on the oily smell in relation to a vac leak... also, the vacuum leak would lead to a lean condition as opposed to an extremely rich condition.
A sparkplug read would show a white/lean condition after idling with a vacuum leak.

If only at start-up (and immediately following), the fuel tank vent valve is one other suspect. Another common failure point for idle symptoms is the low fuel pressure sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3
It's gotta be something to do with the tune, I'm not supercharged but tuned, had the same issue all I had to do was ask the tuner which by the way was great as always and he sent me a new more emmissions friendly tune and since then I haven't had any more of those codes come up.

I believe cold start does have something to do with it
Deleting faults is not a more "emissions friendly" tune, it's less emissions friendly. Removing faults just leads to masking potential problems and higher emissions. I highly doubt it's anything with the OPs tune. Beemdogs post is spot on, and idle jumping sounds like a vacuum/ICV issue to me.

An NA car should run without triggering ANY faults period, with every fault code left turned on and in tact. Otherwise there is an issue with the car. The fault the OP has is likely not related to the S/C.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Deleting faults is not a more "emissions friendly" tune, it's less emissions friendly. Removing faults just leads to masking potential problems and higher emissions. I highly doubt it's anything with the OPs tune. Beemdogs post is spot on, and idle jumping sounds like a vacuum/ICV issue to me.

An NA car should run without triggering ANY faults period, with every fault code left turned on and in tact. Otherwise there is an issue with the car. The fault the OP has is likely not related to the S/C.
I don't think I said anything about deleting faults, it needed tweaking I guess. IIRC same thing happened when I had the 08 E90 with the previous tuner, something to do with it seeing something out of range when decelerating.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

Mike, even with cold start on? I'm having 2728 and 2729 when I read the codes, but no CEL.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 JRZ BLK 6MT

Both My Pre-Cat sensors are toast. Dealership stated that the old O2 sensors are prone to failure after about 60k KM's. BMW has apparently replaced the sensors with a new part number and there is a ECU upgrade to go along with them. (release in the spring I'm told)
Appreciate 0