BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-11-2007, 02:59 AM   #45
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

I never had a problem with other 335 owners. Most of them dont even bother looking over at me let alone trying to race me. I have had a e90 325 speed up to get next to me and decided he had something to prove so he honked 3 times and took off by himself. I just cruised along doing 45mph watching and hoping he would get pulled over.

I wouldn't say this is a problem with 335 owners (although im sure it is), but mostly with people in general. 90% of the time, people tend to try and justify what they buy. Civic owners laugh at us and say "why would you spend all that money when my civic with X amount of money in mods can smoke you all day long". 335 owners think "why would i buy a m3 when my 335 with mods could be just as fast, if not faster".

This is especially noticeable on forums. Audi forums swear by audis, bmw forums swear by bmw, etc etc.
      06-11-2007, 03:14 AM   #46
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

I have a Z4M-roadster and I've had a few encounters with 335i drivers driving aggessively around me, or trying to race me.

However, I do think that there are drivers like that for every car brand, every car model. Seeing my Z4M probably did instigate some of their actions, but on the flip side I probably noticed what they did because their 335i's also caught my eyes. If it were some Toyota Corolla or Ford, I probably wouldn't have looked at them twice or even cared.

For whatever is worth, I've been harassed more times by Acura TL-S drivers than 335i drivers.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #47
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

There's no doubt that driving the cars we drive incites people to act like retards...I get random acts of speed from cars around me all the time...I'll just continue along at my pace and wait for these morons to crash their cars.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 08:01 AM   #48
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

I'll never understand the point of people modding their cars and trying to race people on the street. If you're modding for official racing purposes on a real track, that's different.

In the end, what is the point? It doesn't take a great driver to take off in a straight line. So why don't you just take out your chequebooks and compare how much money each of you make? In the end that's all it is. Whoever has more money can afford a more expensive and powerful car or multiple mods or whatever.

So I say the next time you want to race somebody, pull your chequebook out and compare incomes instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 08:12 AM   #49
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

I just got back from a 2 day BMWCCA DE at Gateway International. Gateway is a road course built into an oval, pretty low speed track through the tight infield. Mine is a 335i Step/Sport sedan stock except for BBS forged wheels which shaved about 50lbs of unsprung weight, but with the stock rubber RFT's.

Now, since it has been about 10 years since the last time I had a car on a track (I did road race motorcycles until 2 yrs ago and was #3 Expert in the region at 1 point) they decided to put me in Intermediate-2. The only cars out there I did not lap in the 20 minute sessions were M3's, I passed each though. So, they bumped me into the top group the next day.

Several M3's out there in the advanced group wanted to play with me, as did a Z3M. I guess they, too, wanted to see what this car would do. I passed and pulled away from the Z3M. The e46 M3's (some lightly modded) and I were just about dead even. If I passed one and the driver wanted to play, they could stick with me. If I was passed by one and I wanted to play (versus working on lines or something else), then I could stick right on them. The after session talk, coming from the M3 drivers, is how the 335i really surprised them as the equal of the M3 and a "driver's race". And I had an instructor in my passenger seat the whole time, some of them were solo...

Cars that passed me and then ran away included a Cayman S in my first session which I never saw in later sessions, a 996 of some variety or another and a couple M3-based SCCA race cars. I did pass a couple of race prepped 944 and 944 Turbos

While I don't condone street racing, I say bring your Z4M to a track against a proceeded 335i and watch your attitude change.

I have no delusions of C6 grandeur...c6's are straight line and track beasts! Unless, of course we race with 4 people in each car

Last edited by sdiver68; 06-11-2007 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #50
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

I came from a 02' vette and a e36 m3. I know this 335xi is not a race-car. Many on this forum think it is it is fast, it handles well ...its a very nice car, but I don't consider it to be a sports car.

I like to punch it from time to time and maybe someone thought I was trying to race them - not the case. Even with that - I seriously doubt anyone got that impression...reason being, most people think its just another 3-series...nothing special.

I consider it to be more than just another 3-series b/c of the engine, never before has there been such a powerful engine in a non-M 3 series. No one else seems to know that and I don't go around spreading the word. I'd rather be inconspicuous so that someone doesn't get jealous and key the thing.

I love the car, I am very happy with the decision. It is a joy to drive such a smooth and powerful/practical/well made car.

I haven't seen any 335 owners who seem to think they are race car drivers, but i'm sure i'll run into one someday. Even with 300hp/tq I still drive the speed limit...every forum for every car has this sort of thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #51
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0perat0r View Post
I came from a 02' vette and a e36 m3. I know this 335xi is not a race-car. Many on this forum think it is it is fast, it handles well ...its a very nice car, but I don't consider it to be a sports car.
The problem is, lap times say otherwise.

I did not consider it a track car until I saw the lap times and tried it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #52
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
I just got back from a 2 day BMWCCA DE at Gateway International. Gateway is a road course built into an oval, pretty low speed track through the tight infield. Mine is a 335i Step/Sport sedan stock except for BBS forged wheels which shaved about 50lbs of unsprung weight, but with the stock rubber RFT's.

Now, since it has been about 10 years since the last time I had a car on a track (I did road race motorcycles until 2 yrs ago and was #3 Expert in the region at 1 point) they decided to put me in Intermediate-2. The only cars out there I did not lap in the 20 minute sessions were M3's, I passed each though. So, they bumped me into the top group the next day.

Several M3's out there in the advanced group wanted to play with me, as did a Z3M. I guess they, too, wanted to see what this car would do. I passed and pulled away from the Z3M. The e46 M3's (some lightly modded) and I were just about dead even. If I passed one and the driver wanted to play, they could stick with me. If I was passed by one and I wanted to play (versus working on lines or something else), then I could stick right on them. The after session talk, coming from the M3 drivers, is how the 335i really surprised them as the equal of the M3 and a "driver's race". And I had an instructor in my passenger seat the whole time, some of them were solo...

Cars that passed me and then ran away included a Cayman S in my first session which I never saw in later sessions, a 996 of some variety or another and a couple M3-based SCCA race cars. I did pass a couple of race prepped 944 and 944 Turbos

While I don't condone street racing, I say bring your Z4M to a track against a proceeded 335i and watch your attitude change.

I have no delusions of C6 grandeur...c6's are straight line and track beasts! Unless, of course we race with 4 people in each car
The Z4M is not an M3 and it is not a Z3M. If you want to convince yourself that your car is a superior track car...go right ahead...but believe me...especially on RFTs...it's not. If anything your encounter with the cayman S would be a lot similar to what you'd have with a Z4M than an M3 or Z3M

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #53
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:

I did not consider it a track car until I saw the lap times and tried it myself.
bah, you're being technical. A civic or integra can have good lap times, but its not a race car ...though some teenagers may argue otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #54
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:

Exactly...until I see something about the 335i breaking 8:15...hell even 8:20 on the Nurburgring I'll continue stand my ground

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #55
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
Why did you start this thread? do YOU have something to prove?

If I had a Z4M, wasn't into racing on the streets, and I had nothing to prove... the issue really wouldn't bother me as much as it seems to be bothering you. In psychiatry they call this "Projection." I learnt that at skool.

Edit: now that I think about it more, I'm in the same situation as you are. I drive a brand new 335i and just today I had 2 330Ci's trying to race me at stoplights. I declined both times, but I didn't feel resentful as you do... I know it's just because either they want to prove they're faster or because they want to see how fast I am... so be it. I don't go post a thread on "what is up with 330Ci drivers!?"
Yeah - well I find it annoying that people are accelerating and braking and looking at me/my car. It is a safety hazard. It also makes BMW drivers look like idiots and I do not like that either. I am not resentful. I think it is in bad taste. I have seen the results of kids being hit by cars. City streets are not for racing. I, too, have been to school. You should look up "Projective Identification" while you are at it.

Here's a post titled "335i vs 2008 M3" http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66186 - proves my point. Just relax and enjoy your very nice, very comfortable, and very fast car in peace.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #56
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0perat0r View Post
bah, you're being technical. A civic or integra can have good lap times, but its not a race car ...though some teenagers may argue otherwise.
And you are being obtuse.

Civics and Integras can be made into race and track cars as well. I can just as easily raise the bar to prototypes and formula cars and say nothing else qualifies.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #57
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
The Z4M is not an M3 and it is not a Z3M. If you want to convince yourself that your car is a superior track car...go right ahead...but believe me...especially on RFTs...it's not. If anything your encounter with the cayman S would be a lot similar to what you'd have with a Z4M than an M3 or Z3M
So an M3 is not worthy of being a track car either?

Exactly what is your list of "worthy" cars?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #58
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Exactly...until I see something about the 335i breaking 8:15...hell even 8:20 on the Nurburgring I'll continue stand my ground
http://www.autospies.com/news/New-BM...lap-time-8579/

Totally stock. Case closed.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #59
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just got back from a 2 day BMWCCA DE at Gateway International. Gateway is a road course built into an oval, pretty low speed track through the tight infield.
I was talking about a proper track. A proper track has straights, 4 or 5 90-degree turns, as well as 2 or 3 120-degree turns. Your oval does not count as a track.

See pic - on the right is a track and on the left is an egg.... I mean oval
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #60
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
I was talking about a proper track. A proper track has straights, 4 or 5 90-degree turns, as well as 2 or 3 120-degree turns. Your oval does not count as a track.

See pic - on the right is a track and on the left is an egg.... I mean oval
Did you miss the part where I was a ranked expert road racer? Do you think I do not know the difference between a road course and an oval?

Gateway has a road course built into the infield of the oval, as do many other ovals such as Daytona, Indy, Talladega, Nashville, etc...Granted, I generally prefer purpose built road race facilities with no oval.

http://www.gatewayraceway.com/track/map.php (see the grey colored track inside the oval, very technical)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #61
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's 8:24 - that is slower than 8:20.

But seriously - the 335i is a GREAT car. It looks great and can move great. You do not need to prove that to me. The same goes for other 335i drivers. You have a great car.... Don't compare to an RS4, RS6, IS300, M3, Z4M, M6, Porsche, Ferarri, C6, or even a Bugatti Veyron

I am sure a modded 335i can beat a Bugatti Veyron
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #62
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did you miss the part where I was a ranked expert road racer? Do you think I do not know the difference between a road course and an oval?

Gateway has a road course built into the infield of the oval, as do many other ovals such as Daytona, Indy, Talladega, Nashville, etc...Granted, I generally prefer purpose built road race facilities with no oval.
Oh - excuse me. 1000 apologies
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #63
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Autospies got the time wrong (imagine that ) the time was 8:26 not 8.26 which would have meant 8:15 and change.

8:26 --- 146.561 km/h – BMW 335i Coupé, 306 PS/1610 kg (sport auto 10/06),
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #64
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
So an M3 is not worthy of being a track car either?

Exactly what is your list of "worthy" cars?
The M3 is a good track car...just not AS GOOD as the Z4M. The M roadster has posted Nurburgring lap times of 8:15 and the M coupe is faster. So...tell me I'm wrong. The CSL is a different story. With a lap time of 7:50...it's a great track car.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #65
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Odds are more "performance oriented" people buy the 335s versus 328s, so naturally more goofballs who like to race will be driving them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge View Post

Yes, you see guys with Procede 335 post about how they stuck close to a C6 and based on that it's easy to think that you have a chance and if you run into a crappy enough driver, you do.
IMO, that's still an incredible accomplishment. C6 vettes are beasts. That was my first choice, but I need the flexibility of a sedan until I settle down a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #66
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Take it for a few laps on a track and you'll sing a different tune. No, it's no Vette or Porsche or 7 or Lambo, but you'd be suprised. And before you ask, yes, I have. Bone stock and it performed admirably. Track in question...Gingerman in South Haven, MI.
I'm not trying to downplay the 335...so I'll just stop there.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0