BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #23
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

expired you obviously have no idea about what comes out of japan, its not just cars, and even if it was a lot of their makers are very good

and about the accord, ive seen some close cars, but thats just ridiculous, it even has the kink, isnt that shit trademarked
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #24
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatiub View Post
still an Accord though
and at the end of the day that means you're getting a car with good gas mileage, space, and excellent realiability......maybe it's not the fastest or best handling sedan, but it does it's job very well and you can count on it running for a long time...BMW gets further and further away from that every day it seems...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #25
horatiub
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
and at the end of the day that means you're getting a car with good gas mileage, space, and excellent realiability......maybe it's not the fastest or best handling sedan, but it does it's job very well and you can count on it running for a long time...BMW gets further and further away from that every day it seems...
you might be right, but for those of us that keep their BMWs only 2-3 yrs, the reliability issue is not a problem. Space? I always though the Accord has less space than the 5-series, but I don't have the numbers in front of me, so I can't justify my assumption.

Gas mileage? Yes, you have a point here
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #26
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatiub View Post
you might be right, but for those of us that keep their BMWs only 2-3 yrs, the reliability issue is not a problem. Space? I always though the Accord has less space than the 5-series, but I don't have the numbers in front of me, so I can't justify my assumption.

Gas mileage? Yes, you have a point here
I'll willing to bet that most people who buy a BMW plan to keep it for longer than that...
with space let's look at cost per amount of space....the 5-series may be a bit bigger but the accord is half the cost....

there's a reason why they sell so many...most buyers want the most bang for the lowest buck and BMW is not, nor will it ever at or near the top of that list...not to say that don't make a great car because they do, it's just made for a certain cliental...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #27
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Its funny because most of us came from toyotas, nissans, and hondas. Hypocites....

How can you say that quality and immitation comes out of japan. And americans are quality built.

Ill use the perfect example of what im driving right now. This BRAND NEW POS dodge avenger. This thing a rattle trap and its a piece of plasticy crap.

My old 350z can be compared to a mustang. Lets compare the two. Looks alone the Z blows it away. Performance and handling, Z. Relability Z. Finish Z. Cheap plastic interior with unsupportive crappy ass seats - Mustang.

Now im not defending the Japanese or Chiness, nor am I either. But lets give credit where credit is due. The Japs build good reliable cars. I know that most of you here do not like what the japanese have to offer, or call them rice cars. But that's all opinion, but sales and PROFESSIONAL reviews prove that their products are superior to most German and all american automakers.
      09-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #28
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
I thought that everyone knew that the Chinese/Japanese were notorious for stealing idea's and then improving upon them. (Of course the BMW still looks better.)

Anyways.. I guess what i'm trying to say is..
The Japanese/Chinese have great technology, can produce things well, and are years ahead of pretty much everyone..
But what they lack is Design, Imagination, Creativity, Artistry, Craftsmanship, Ingenuity.
They rely on others for that.

-Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
expired you obviously have no idea about what comes out of japan, its not just cars, and even if it was a lot of their makers are very good

and about the accord, ive seen some close cars, but thats just ridiculous, it even has the kink, isnt that shit trademarked
heh.. I don't have any idea of what Japan/China produces??
Please enlighten me, because it's obvious you have no idea of what they produce, since you failed to list anything.
It's very easy for someone to state that somebody is wrong without any proof.

Disregard my rant about how my toys as a kid sucked, and try to read my entire post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post

Now im not defending the Japanese or Chiness, nor am I either. But lets give credit where credit is due. The Japs build good reliable cars. I know that most of you here do not like what the japanese have to offer, or call them rice cars. But that's all opinion, but sales and PROFESSIONAL reviews prove that their products are superior to most German and all american automakers.
Their sales rely heavily on their fuel efficiency. (The only reason why most people buy their cars.)
Great technology, thieves when it comes to design.

-Nathan
      09-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #29
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
I'll second that...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #30
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Theives????

was the nsx copied? the gtr? the z? supra? 4/5/6th gen celica? MR2? rx7? miata? the gt4? evo? wrx sti? camry? worlds best selling corolla? land cruiser?

Copied? Ive never seen a car that looks like any of those. Theyre not copies they are original and damn I got a whole bunch more waiting to be listed. So please unless youre talking out of your ass, explain yourself
      09-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #31
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
... it even has the kink, isnt that shit trademarked
Kink, do you mean the line flowing through the side panels? If so, that is a design trait taken directly from the TL.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #32
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
Kink, do you mean the line flowing through the side panels? If so, that is a design trait taken directly from the TL.
failure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofmeister_kink
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #33
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

I'm betting the Accord has a spare tire??
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #34
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4lyfe View Post
honda is a great company and on a long trip, I'd rather drive an accord (or any other honda) than a 5 series (or any other bmw)...Face it, when you want to drive you want reliability and honda has it. Also they have very very good resale value.
I've owned an '04 TL, nice car, basically a tarted-up Accord, but I am extremely pleased with the long-distance performance of my E92. I have driven to NY and back as well as a round trip to Baltimore from a city just west of Cleveland. I had no reliability issues or problems with fuel economy. With my 335i, I could waste most anything else on the road, which I couldn't accomplish with my TL. I like the TL and think it's a nice car, but the 3er provides for great performance, ample comfort, and decent fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #35
renegade
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Theives????

was the nsx copied? the gtr? the z? supra? 4/5/6th gen celica? MR2? rx7? miata? the gt4? evo? wrx sti? camry? worlds best selling corolla? land cruiser?

Copied? Ive never seen a car that looks like any of those. Theyre not copies they are original and damn I got a whole bunch more waiting to be listed. So please unless youre talking out of your ass, explain yourself

+1 the japanese car maker backlash on this site is funny/ignorant to the extreme.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #36
InfamousM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Accord = .. the coupe looks just as bad with a tiburon rear look alike.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 09:34 PM   #37
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

You've gotta give props to them when it comes to the coupe though:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #38
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Upon looking at those screens I realized that the coupe is in desperate need of a drop haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #39
shadye90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Fanatic

Garage List
I'm sorry to say but as a die hard Honda fan i gotta say the new accords are fuckin ugly...

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #40
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Even teh coupes?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #41
InfamousM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
like i said.. it looks like a hyundai tiburon from the back.. and the front just not feelin it
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #42
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
while i partly agree, i wouldn't go so far as to call the Japs better than all American automakers.

case in point, what car comes close in performance to a chevy z06 for the money, or even a base c6 for that matter. i would pretty much say no car in this planet, jap or german or american can touch the c6's performance for the price.

but when talking about reliable daily drivers, the japs clearly have the edge over both german and american.

also, sales do not prove anything about which car is better. is a fully loaded M3 a better car than a 911 carrera S? i dont think so. which car sells better? the M3.

the real truth is that every country's automakers has their own strength.

-Americans are renowned for high displacement, RWD monsters that will absolutely smoke anything at the drag strip (yeah I mean anything, if you ever been to a drag strip and see all the muscle cars from the 1960's running 10's and destroying all these new 'fast' Evo's and whatever from 2005). are cheap to buy, modify and repair, and are great for the "muscle tough guy" type.

-Japs have the clear advantage in technology (look at their culture, Sony, Nintendo, Panasonic etc.) and reliability. they make the best navi systems and usually have the best interiors and stereos. their cars never break down. they make great daily drivers. ONCE IN A LONG WHILE the japs will come out with a competent sports car, but lets face it, right now there are about 6 japanese sports cars out there, the Evo, STi, Mazda MX-5, 350z, G37, and IS350. Some of these are even borederline sports cars such as the IS350 which is basically a luxury car. Every single one of these cars starts at under 40 grand. The Japs currently do not make a supercar, although they are in the process of coming out with the GTR and some new high end Lexus models. Lexus hasn't even made a high end sports car so it remains to be seen how serious their "F" division will be. I'm sure the GTR will be nasty.

-On to the Germans, who in my opinion, blend luxury, sport, performance, and driving fun all in one package. They dont make the best of everything (unless its a Porsche). They dont have the best interiors. They dont have the best quality. They dont have the best performance. BUT they do have just enough of each to still make German cars great. BMW makes very solid cars that are extremely fun to drive. The drawback of BMW is their interiors and reliability. Porsche makes amazing cars in every respect, interior, performance, fun. But Porsches break down and do not make great daily drivers. Benz is the ultimate in luxury and technology. Lets not forget AMG, M, and Audi S who offer about 10-15 different supercars with ridiculous engines over $60 grand.

So as you can see all country's automakers have their unique strengths and weaknesses (besides the Chinese who are flat out crap and always have been, not only in cars but in everything they make). Not one country is better than the other. They all have their strengths and it all comes down to what the buyer prioritizes more: performance, luxury, technology, comfort, or reliability.

Here on a BMW forum, we like to try and have all those things in one which BMW does great. Not like Porsche, but still very good. a 3 series is pretty much one of the best daily drivers you can get.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #43
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Herbz I can see what youre saying but I was saying all out performance. I was saying as a whole.

American cars, imo, are crap. For examply I'm driving a pos dodge caliber as a loaner.. this damn thing is a boat on wheels with the cheapest interior and very underpowered engine. My old 89 camry was better than this thing.

And I'm not targeting dodge, chevy and ford cars are just junk. The only thing american cars are good for are their trucks. Lincoln and caddy, ok theyre nice but they cant shake that boatish/cheap feeling.

Youre right, no jap company has a car that can compare to the c6 z06(yet) but thats not saying much. Where as if you company the companies as a whole japanese cars are overall better than american.
      10-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #44
islandbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 SG

Long trips you would prefer a honda over a BMW ...you are plan whacko man. Every summer I drive non stop (three gas stops) halfway across Canada ...done it in Accords, Preludes and many BMW's no contest.. BMW seats and fun to drive factor result in alot less fatigue and boredom. This is a 1500 mile trip I do by myself when I get out of the BMW's I still feel alright after 22hours. In a Honda I'm sore and tired. And the BMW's match the fuel economy of the Accords at 70 mph 40mpg Imperial gals. (524TD and 328is). There is no contest. I would think twice before I would consider this again in a Honda , BMW I would do it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0