BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
FR305
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Coupe

Angry Speed Channels Sucks!!!

Ever since it changed from speedvision to speed channel it has been a piece of shit. Even more with all those reck neck programs that belong in the CMT channel(for example: PINKS). Unique Whips... what a joke. Who else thinks that we deserve a better car enthusiast channel. More like Motors TV. I want to see FIA races, not fucking NASCAR.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

only thing i watch on speed channel is formula 1 and F1 related shows. the whole git-r-dun redneck nascar shit sucks...and so does much of their original programming.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

i used to like watching the SCCA touring car series, but i haven't seen it on in a while.

i also like the F1 programs, but those are once in a blue moon. otherwise it is the trash-o-rama nascar crap
      11-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
RonJon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i used to like watching the SCCA touring car series, but i haven't seen it on in a while.

i also like the F1 programs, but those are once in a blue moon. otherwise it is the trash-o-rama nascar crap
I wish that they showed 5th gear, or top gear. Every since it was bought out by Fox it became a NASCAR channel, fuhcking rednecks.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivera.sa View Post
Ever since it changed from speedvision to speed channel it has been a piece of shit. Even more with all those reck neck programs that belong in the CMT channel(for example: PINKS). Unique Whips... what a joke. Who else thinks that we deserve a better car enthusiast channel. More like Motors TV. I want to see FIA races, not fucking NASCAR.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
only thing i watch on speed channel is formula 1 and F1 related shows. the whole git-r-dun redneck nascar shit sucks...and so does much of their original programming.
+2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post

+3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJon View Post
I wish that they showed 5th gear, or top gear. Every since it was bought out by Fox it became a NASCAR channel, fuhcking rednecks.
+4

you guys summed up my thoughts exactly. i'll skim the channel for a sec and whaddya know, more redneck shit.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
IrateSpeed6
¡Roca encendido!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 STi Stage II

I used to love watching the WRC, obviously F1 is good to watch - if you guys know of any good programming, post it! D1 drifting is ok if you're bored...
      11-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
FR305
Banned
United_States
Rep

D1... I dont know about that. The only thing next to F1 is ALMS. Anything FIA offers is good to watch but is just not there anymore. DTM is excellent also. There is nothing decent for a enthusiast, not even SPEED World Challenge...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

I agree with all your comments. But it's all we have. Top gear is on BBC America late nights. I am sick of all the NASCAR crap. Speed channel is grief now that F1 is on a break.

Where are all the SCCA races (Road Atlanta etc), WRC rallies, British + European touring car races???????
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
NASCAR makes more sense. Nobody gives a shit about F1 here. Ask anybody who Fernando Alonso or Kimi Raikkonen are and chances are they won't know. I wouldn't care though... it's always Ferrari or McLaren at the top. Even JPM said it was the same parade every two weeks. I could care less if the sport died altogether, which is a possibility due Bernie's expensive "initiation" fee for new, shittier tracks like Bahrain and Shanghai.

BTW why don't you listen to Chad Knauss whenever he does a tech interview in NASCAR (Jimmy Johnson's Engineer). He is very interesting to listen to, as he knows his sh*t. Only guy to win, along with JJ of course, 3 championships in a row since Cale Yarborough.

No I am a not a NASCAR fan, but I can't see F1 being much better, and I've been watching for years.

PS: ALMS is my favorite, and I wake up for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and try to watch as much of it as I can... I must at least watch the finish as well. There's a way bigger chance for privateers to win, and there is much more technical variety as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
RonJon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
NASCAR makes more sense. Nobody gives a shit about F1 here. Ask anybody who Fernando Alonso or Kimi Raikkonen are and chances are they won't know. I wouldn't care though... it's always Ferrari or McLaren at the top. Even JPM said it was the same parade every two weeks. I could care less if the sport died altogether, which is a possibility due Bernie's expensive "initiation" fee for new, shittier tracks like Bahrain and Shanghai.

BTW why don't you listen to Chad Knauss whenever he does a tech interview in NASCAR (Jimmy Johnson's Engineer). He is very interesting to listen to, as he knows his sh*t. Only guy to win, along with JJ of course, 3 championships in a row since Cale Yarborough.

No I am a not a NASCAR fan, but I can't see F1 being much better, and I've been watching for years.

PS: ALMS is my favorite, and I wake up for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and try to watch as much of it as I can... I must at least watch the finish as well. There's a way bigger chance for privateers to win, and there is much more technical variety as well.

Alright you do make some good points but lets compare what F1 has brought to the car community and compare that with NASCAR:

F1) Auto clutch found in BMW's SMG, and Ferrari's F1 shifter.
NASCAR) Tide logo on Jimmy Johnson's #43 car as it ciricles an OVAL for 3 hours, which by the way is found in your local Walmart!!

F1) The up comming kinetic energy recovery system.
NASCAR) 4 barrel holley carb for your muscle car!!

F1) Most new ///M Engines are desgined by the same people that work on the F1 engines.
NASCAR) Well I really cant get past the 40 year old technology and ridiculous amount of sponsorship. Ohh yeh and dont forget the rednecks, and also waste of the SPEED channels resources!!

I agree with you that ALMS is very exciting to watch on TV and in real life. I've camped in the track on race weekend twice and had an awsome experience both times!!

btw, do you guys remember "Legends of Motorsport" hosted by Alan de Cadenet, one of my favs!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
FR305
Banned
United_States
Rep

The peek of the stupidity of NASCAR is how the cars look. WTF!!!! Stock car racing are u serious. Might as well call it POS-Car racing.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Alright you do make some good points but lets compare what F1 has brought to the car community and compare that with NASCAR:

F1) Auto clutch found in BMW's SMG, and Ferrari's F1 shifter.
NASCAR) Tide logo on Jimmy Johnson's #43 car as it ciricles an OVAL for 3 hours, which by the way is found in your local Walmart!!

F1) The up comming kinetic energy recovery system.
NASCAR) 4 barrel holley carb for your muscle car!!

F1) Most new ///M Engines are desgined by the same people that work on the F1 engines.
NASCAR) Well I really cant get past the 40 year old technology and ridiculous amount of sponsorship. Ohh yeh and dont forget the rednecks, and also waste of the SPEED channels resources!!

I agree with you that ALMS is very exciting to watch on TV and in real life. I've camped in the track on race weekend twice and had an awsome experience both times!!

btw, do you guys remember "Legends of Motorsport" hosted by Alan de Cadenet, one of my favs!!
The paddles were found by accident. John Bernard wanted paddles in his Ferrari's back in the day to omit the extra space a lever gearbox would take up. Therefore he wanted electronically controlled gears such that the car would have a narrower cockpit.

To me, KERS is a half-assed attempt at trying to move into "green technology," or road-relevant technology. A turbo engine has the same concept - convert waste energy into power. Funny how Ferrari is having trouble with theirs (hence a possibly reason for Force India to switch to Mercedes engines). If they really wanted to be greener, they should just stop racing period.

ALMS and LMS are doing a way better job of promoting green technology, such as diesels, and the ALMS Green Challenge.

And if you think rednecks are limited to just NASCAR, think again. There's a bunch of drunk fucks and ignorant people who follow Ferrari and McLaren just because... and the arguably "racist" incidents at Catalunya, against Hamilton, earlier in the season. They're probably just spillover fans from "football." If you don't have some hillbilly bugging you for his sister, then you have snobby bastard buying 80 dollar lemonade at Monaco like nothing.

I do miss the WRC, Legends of Motorsport as you stated, and F1 Classic... I remember Minardi finishing fourth, in front of Ferrari, at Kyalami 1993; Senna dominating Donnington; Hill's and Schumi's intense battles in 1994

BTW JJ's title sponsor is Lowe's
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
FR305
Banned
United_States
Rep

"Legends of Motorsport" was great . Most of my knowledge of the classic motorsport era comes from that show.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
RonJon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post

To me, KERS is a half-assed attempt at trying to move into "green technology," or road-relevant technology. A turbo engine has the same concept - convert waste energy into power. Funny how Ferrari is having trouble with theirs (hence a possibly reason for Force India to switch to Mercedes engines). If they really wanted to be greener, they should just stop racing period.

ALMS and LMS are doing a way better job of promoting green technology, such as diesels, and the ALMS Green Challenge.

BTW JJ's title sponsor is Lowe's
HEHE I was just kidding, I will attend a NASCAR race sometime in the future, our supplier is a major sponsor and we always get good tix but I just dont have that much interest in the summer time.

KERS is not the only answer for greener cars. However it will play a role in help making cars greener, imagine a diesel-hybrid-KERS equiped car???

You cannot argue that hi-tech racing series dont contribute to advancements in production cars. Since F1 is the leading edge of motor sports, that series will be the leader in developing new technologies, whether its KERS, better brakes, tires or aerodynamic design.

Now you look at NASCAR and theres nothing technologically advanced, with the exception of tires perhaps...

BTW there is no green racing, just imagine all of the motor homes, mobile garages and equipment that ALMS teams move on a weekly basis for about 7 months of the year. I commend ALMS in promoting greener alternatives I think its great, but lets not forget that its mostly a PR campaign then anything else. (But I really do believe its great)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivera.sa View Post
"Legends of Motorsport" was great . Most of my knowledge of the classic motorsport era comes from that show.
Yeh, they still have those shows on every once in a while like 3 am on weekends, I setup my PVR to record them. Search your PVR guide once every two weeks and you'll eventually get lucky.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #15
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

WRC on speed was the best, loved it. Gone now.

It sucks *ss really. wtf with all the NASCAR. Does anyone really care besides the southwest US?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #16
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You cannot argue that hi-tech racing series dont contribute to advancements in production cars. Since F1 is the leading edge of motor sports, that series will be the leader in developing new technologies, whether its KERS, better brakes, tires or aerodynamic design.

Now you look at NASCAR and theres nothing technologically advanced, with the exception of tires perhaps...
70% of an F1's car performance is from aerodynamics, at least according to a Sauber engineer campaining their then-new ALBERT supercomputer (Race Tech Magazine).

Which contrasts an interview with a Subaru WRC engineer saying aerodynamics is the most worthless thing you can "transfer" to a production car (Racecar Engineering).

F1 engines don't even use variable-valve timing, ABS, or CVTs, among other technologies. Don't forget that traction control has been banned as of 2008, and they are now going to run slicks.

What technology are we actually deriving from F1?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
IrateSpeed6
¡Roca encendido!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 STi Stage II

Any of you guys ever watch Victory By Design? Absolutely excellent show - great history with awesome cars. Good editing and production - really concentrates on the cars and their sounds/essences. Alain de Cadenet the presenter/driver is excellent!
      11-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I only watch it when they show Formula 1...
      11-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #19
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

I like the Speed Tv test drives. Tommy Kendall tests good stuff most times.
      11-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #20
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

The Speed World Challenge and in a month or so the BTCC and DTM were/will be broadcast. The problem is that they run them midday on weekdays so you have to look for them and set the DVR.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #21
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

Can you just change the title to Speed Channel sucks when F1 season isn't on?

(Cuz I think that's what you meant to say)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 03:15 AM   #22
JayeJaymes
Alien
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 2016 M4

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2016 M4  [0.00]
speed channel definitley sucks, the only show that i thought was pretty good and had some potential was "super cars exposed" but it seems they pulled the plug on that one and now just play re-runs. but yeah pinks, unique whips, and all that nascar bs
Appreciate 0