BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

06-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

3M Paint Defender

I didn't see anything significant on this with a search, so I thought I would share my experiences with it.

I finished spraying a small portion of the hood about half an hour ago and now I'm letting it cure in the sun as per the box's instructions.

After barely half an hour of drying, it's invisible head on. Once you look futher, though, you can see a seam:

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the results. According to a few videos online, it should be "invisible" once it's been cured over the 1-4 day range of time. I highly recommend this for the folks who want to protect their car "on a budget" and don't mind doing their own work (it's really not that hard. It took more time to mask and prep the car than to actually spray it). I'll tackle my mirrors, front bumper and rear quarter panels next weekend.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Thanks for the review, have been looking at this product for the past month but was a bit reluctant to pull the trigger. Your review just gave me some much needed confidence...
      06-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
You didn't search hard on this forum since I did a review of this product months ago. It's a good product for sure especially for someone on a budget, but removal is not fun. Most of the film comes off but you have to be patient or else you'll be pulling it off in pieces. For whatever reason some small patches on my hood were super thin so I had to literally scratch them off with my fingernail. This isn't a long term solution so just remember that before you decide to put this on
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Came out much better than the other one though. There was more orange peel.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
You didn't search hard on this forum since I did a review of this product months ago. It's a good product for sure especially for someone on a budget, but removal is not fun. Most of the film comes off but you have to be patient or else you'll be pulling it off in pieces. For whatever reason some small patches on my hood were super thin so I had to literally scratch them off with my fingernail. This isn't a long term solution so just remember that before you decide to put this on
I only looked on the first few pages, my bad, bro. Didn't mean to steal some thunder.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
Thanks for the review, have been looking at this product for the past month but was a bit reluctant to pull the trigger. Your review just gave me some much needed confidence...
For what it cost, it's definitely not bad if you end up hating it.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I played with a small section on my trunk (flat, smooth surface) and with their synthetic wax, it was a pain in the ass to remove this morning.

For the hood, I used some meguiars Ultimate wax. I'm hoping when the time comes to remove the film, it'll be much easier than with the wax 3M provided.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
I played with a small section on my trunk (flat, smooth surface) and with their synthetic wax, it was a pain in the ass to remove this morning.

For the hood, I used some meguiars Ultimate wax. I'm hoping when the time comes to remove the film, it'll be much easier than with the wax 3M provided.
Hahaha no worries no thunder stolen just was saying I did a review awhile back. The wax helps but the meguiars shouldn't make a difference. Like I said it wasn't hard but you need to go very slow to get as much as you can off without cutting it up into several pieces
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha no worries no thunder stolen just was saying I did a review awhile back. The wax helps but the meguiars shouldn't make a difference. Like I said it wasn't hard but you need to go very slow to get as much as you can off without cutting it up into several pieces
Oh okay, lol, wasn't trying to step on any toes

It feels like Plastidip in consistency.

Appreciate 0