BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #23
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanium View Post
I had the same issue and it seems the shop is incapable of balancing correctly with TPMS installed, it is harder than you actually might imagine.

My solution is that I went to Gran Turismo east, they have an on-car balancing machine so they could physically see where or how the wheel/tire is behaving at speed. They took my PS2 off the wheel, rotated it so that the heaviest part of the tire is sitting at the opposite side of the TPMS and vibration is gone after balancing.

Before you go, make sure to call since they are very busy at times. Let me know if that helps.
That's pretty awesome.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I put the RACs back on today. Car felt spot on.
Did not pull to the right at all.
If it were me, I'd put the rear RAC's on, and swap the Advans around on the front until I found the one (if it's just one) that's wonky.

But, before I did that, I'd take a careful look at the question about hub-centricity. For instance, say someone made an error and one of the rim pairs is made for BMW, but they're actually bored 74mm for the E39 chassis (instead of 72.5mm for the rest of the BMW product line). It will look right and mount easily, but even if the wheel is perfectly straight and the tire is round and precisely balanced it'll shake like crazy.

The way to check is to take a rear wheel off (so you can use the hand brake to stop the hub from turning) and try each Advan rim on that corner to make sure there's a no-gap fit between the rim and the hub extension that centers the wheel. Pop the center caps out so you can see what's going on. Rotate the rim on the hub and watch to make sure that there's no lateral or vertical movement and no gap as you push the rim from side to side and up and down.

Once you're convinced there's no problem with the hub, then go looking for a rim that's bent or a defective tire.

Another question - you may have answered already - are there spacers used with the Advans? Depending on how they're made, spacers can cause all kinds of problems like this. Some don't fit over the hub properly, some don't fit inside the wheel properly, and some disable the hub-centric alignment.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanium View Post
I had the same issue and it seems the shop is incapable of balancing correctly with TPMS installed, it is harder than you actually might imagine.

My solution is that I went to Gran Turismo east, they have an on-car balancing machine so they could physically see where or how the wheel/tire is behaving at speed. They took my PS2 off the wheel, rotated it so that the heaviest part of the tire is sitting at the opposite side of the TPMS and vibration is gone after balancing.

Before you go, make sure to call since they are very busy at times. Let me know if that helps.
My car is a Canadian car, so we don't run TPMS.
I took to another shop. They got the vibration out, but the car was till pulling badly to the right. They flipped the fronts and then is started pulling the left, it was not as bad.
So it looks like I ended up again with a bad tire. They ordered a one new tire and it should be here tomorrow. Hopefully that does the trick.

I'm def not going to be buying Dunlop Star Specs again to replace these when they wear out.
      06-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
If it were me, I'd put the rear RAC's on, and swap the Advans around on the front until I found the one (if it's just one) that's wonky.

But, before I did that, I'd take a careful look at the question about hub-centricity. For instance, say someone made an error and one of the rim pairs is made for BMW, but they're actually bored 74mm for the E39 chassis (instead of 72.5mm for the rest of the BMW product line). It will look right and mount easily, but even if the wheel is perfectly straight and the tire is round and precisely balanced it'll shake like crazy.

The way to check is to take a rear wheel off (so you can use the hand brake to stop the hub from turning) and try each Advan rim on that corner to make sure there's a no-gap fit between the rim and the hub extension that centers the wheel. Pop the center caps out so you can see what's going on. Rotate the rim on the hub and watch to make sure that there's no lateral or vertical movement and no gap as you push the rim from side to side and up and down.

Once you're convinced there's no problem with the hub, then go looking for a rim that's bent or a defective tire.

Another question - you may have answered already - are there spacers used with the Advans? Depending on how they're made, spacers can cause all kinds of problems like this. Some don't fit over the hub properly, some don't fit inside the wheel properly, and some disable the hub-centric alignment.
No spacer, and we checked they fit the hub nice and tight.

Could vibration be caused by something else besides the wheels and tires? Suspension or brakes even?
      06-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #27
Dartanium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

I don't see it be suspension or brakes because your other wheels behave fine. So if wheel is your only variable of change, then those are the only culprit to your problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #28
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
No spacer, and we checked they fit the hub nice and tight.

Could vibration be caused by something else besides the wheels and tires? Suspension or brakes even?
I agree with Dartanium. If the RAC's work ok then everything else is probably fine. There is a small possibility that an alignment problem is causing the pull, but it should be consistent and not change when you move the tires around. And it should still do it with the RAC's.

Its either an Advan wheel or a Dunlop tire. Your original post said you'd already had a new pair of tires already, though, so yet another new one may not solve it.

What are the wheel specs? Widths and offsets?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #29
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Where are these guys get the StarSpecs so easily from?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #30
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Where are these guys get the StarSpecs so easily from?
Every shop I went to can get them easily.
Lots of inventory out there apparently.
      06-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #31
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Any luck in getting this resolved?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #32
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Any luck in getting this resolved?
Im going in tomorrow morning.
Really hoping it gets solved. One new tire arrived today.
      06-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #33
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Im going in tomorrow morning.
Really hoping it gets solved. One new tire arrived today.
Fingers crossed for you! Any chance they have anything else in stock that will work for your track day worst case? Still want to see pics of those wheels on your car!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #34
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Fingers crossed for you! Any chance they have anything else in stock that will work for your track day worst case? Still want to see pics of those wheels on your car!
Nothing.
If it does not work, and it seems that its the tires, I might try to see if they can overnight me some AD08s. But Im hoping this works.

I'll get some pics at the track.
      06-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #35
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nothing.
If it does not work, and it seems that its the tires, I might try to see if they can overnight me some AD08s. But Im hoping this works.

I'll get some pics at the track.
Good luck - hope it works out. Enjoy the track - looking forward to seeing some pics
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #36
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good luck - hope it works out. Enjoy the track - looking forward to seeing some pics
Thanks bud.
      06-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #37
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Could vibration be caused by something else besides the wheels and tires?
Excessive runout (a perfectly straight wheel would have zero). I think one of my stock wheels has a little more than it should. Not everybody has the precision equipment to measure it, but I'd try that. You'd also need to find out how much is acceptable. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #38
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Had the new tire installed today, then road force balanced all four tires/wheels. So far everything checks out. They had to remount both front tires to get them just right.
My front camber was a bit uneven too, so I had them re-adjusted.
      06-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #39
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Good to here it's working out.
Did they remount the old tires or the new ones?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #40
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good to here it's working out.
Did they remount the old tires or the new ones?
The two rears were OK, one of the front had to be replaced for the 2nd time. I won't be buying these again, next time I will be going AD08s.
Hopefully they perform well at the track this weekend.
      06-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #41
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

How did they figure out which front tire it was?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #42
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How did they figure out which front tire it was?
It was really pulling to the right, then they swapped right and left front tires, then the car started to pull to the left.
      06-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #43
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Glad to hear you got this sorted out! Have a great time at the track!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #44
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear you got this sorted out! Have a great time at the track!
Thanks.
Might go up today actually to watch the club races and to do my tech.