BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #2091
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
Did they mention condition of then once opened up?
This is what he told me:

"The 702/703 bearings all looked great by the way. Highest mileage as 42k and it looked far better than the 088/089 bearings with" -Troy Jeup
Interesting, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #2092
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
Interesting new news found on the S85 M5 side of things, bmw started using 702/703 bearings in MY2009 M5's and continued on MY2010 cars.. Six 2009 s85 m5 engines that were opened up by Troy Jeup on M5board had 702/703 bearings. Those around late-mid 2008 built cars started getting these newer bearings.
Only one problem: 702/703 bearings didn't go into production until June, 2010. Ask for pictures of the back side of the bearings, and a photo of the build label in the driver's door jamb. That might help solve this mystery.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #2093
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just to counter the claim made here that not one set of bearings has been pulled from a car that don't show excessive wear. It's an older post but is very relevant to post here. Look at the last image before jumping down my throat. Discussion in the original thread leans toward a conclusion that the one bad looking bearing here was caused by some assembly contamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndau View Post
Info
Vehicle: 2008 BMW M3, DCT (Australian - Maybe hotter weather)
Production Date: 11/08
Oil Used: TWS Motorsport 10W-60, no data provided on previous oil change
Mileage: ~16,XXX mi (27,000 Km)
Fuel: 93 Oct
Driving Habits: Mostly highway/street driving, no track use

Oil report to follow ETA 2 weeks, photo quality is terrible but I believe I am seeing copper on the edges of bearing 4. Replaced with WPC + ARP when installing SC.

Full Album:
View post on imgur.com

Bearing 4;

| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #2094
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

We have just finished a build on a 2008 S65 and the bearings were in normal to better condition. This person was very diligent on oil changes. Clearances measured .0016-0018 on rods. More details/pics will follow.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #2095
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2
Just to counter the claim made here that not one set of bearings has been pulled from a car that don't show excessive wear. It's an older post but is very relevant to post here. Look at the last image before jumping down my throat. Discussion in the original thread leans toward a conclusion that the one bad looking bearing here was caused by some assembly contamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndau View Post
Info
Vehicle: 2008 BMW M3, DCT (Australian - Maybe hotter weather)
Production Date: 11/08
Oil Used: TWS Motorsport 10W-60, no data provided on previous oil change
Mileage: ~16,XXX mi (27,000 Km)
Fuel: 93 Oct
Driving Habits: Mostly highway/street driving, no track use

Oil report to follow ETA 2 weeks, photo quality is terrible but I believe I am seeing copper on the edges of bearing 4. Replaced with WPC + ARP when installing SC.

Full Album:
View post on imgur.com

Bearing 4;

Those bearing do look pretty good for sure. Obviously their was something underneath that #4 shell causing the wear.

With the car being from a hot climate that no doubt helped since the 10W60 was more relevant in those temperatures. In fact, this helps to confirm the fact that the 10W60 is not a good choice for engine oil in all climates. Thanks for those photos.
      05-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #2096
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
Only one problem: 702/703 bearings didn't go into production until June, 2010. Ask for pictures of the back side of the bearings, and a photo of the build label in the driver's door jamb. That might help solve this mystery.
I tryed contacted Troy Jeup, but it seems he doesnt have pics of them on hand..

Here is the thread speaking on the 3 different verisons throughout the years on the S85 motor.. 06/07 being 1, 08 being 2nd, and 09/10 being the 3rd.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...out-years.html
      05-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #2097
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
With the car being from a hot climate that no doubt helped since the 10W60 was more relevant in those temperatures. In fact, this helps to confirm the fact that the 10W60 is not a good choice for engine oil in all climates. Thanks for those photos.
Wow, if you really think that can all be concluded from one sample, congratulations. This is not unlike much of the other speculative posts littered throughout this thread...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:20 AM   #2098
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Wow, if you really think that can all be concluded from one sample, congratulations. This is not unlike much of the other speculative posts littered throughout this thread...
I know...huh? It almost seems as ludicrous as thinking one set of bearings with only 16k miles on them is such a noteworthy exception that it had to be posted here in such a way to make it sounds like it invalidated everything else that came before it (and has come since). Or almost as ludicrous as posting it here at all to bump the dormant thread in hopes that you'll get a much needed intellectual workout.

Last edited by regular guy; 05-12-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:57 AM   #2099
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

To be fair, there is just not enough evidence to jump to the conclusion that this engine had little wear due to the climate being appropriate for 10W-60. Could it be true? Sure, but there is not enough data to say either way.

I would like to point out this engine only has 16k miles as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #2100
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
I know...huh? It almost seems as ludicrous as thinking one exception is so noteworthy that it had to be posted here in such a way to make it wounds like it invalidated everything else that came before it (and has come since). Or almost as ludicrous as posting it here at all to bump the dormant thread in hopes that you'll get a much needed intellectual workout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
To be fair, there is just not enough evidence to jump to the conclusion that this engine had little wear due to the climate being appropriate for 10W-60. Could it be true? Sure, but there is not enough data to say either way.

Yay to bmw for getting a set of bearings to look normal after only 16k miles. Oh except for that one that had trash under it or some issue going on.
      05-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #2101
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Is it not conventional wisdom that thicker oil works better in hotter climates? I would agree this one sample isn't the absolute proof, but he didn't say that it was, he basically said it's one more piece of evidence that helps supplement it.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #2102
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2
Quote:
Even when I try and make a comment on a post of yours in a good natured way you still turn around and act like an idiot! I guess it shows who is who around here!

Where did I say I was making a final conclusion on the oil?! I said it "HELPS" to confirm the fact that the 10W60 is not a good choice for all climates. I wasn't saying this was proof beyond a doubt, all I was saying that the pieces fit of this puzzle fit together.
      05-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #2103
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719

Couldn't agree more

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #2104
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know...huh? It almost seems as ludicrous as thinking one set of bearings with only 16k miles on them is such a noteworthy exception that it had to be posted here in such a way to make it sounds like it invalidated everything else that came before it (and has come since). Or almost as ludicrous as posting it here at all to bump the dormant thread in hopes that you'll get a much needed intellectual workout.
Wow the reading comprehension (lack thereof) is simply astounding.

Again... the only point of adding this information here is due to the near continual drone in this thread and others that "this must be a very serious problem and widespread because every set of bearings for which we have photos of show abnormally high bearing wear".

This is a single isolated piece of evidence that now shows that claim not to be true. I suppose we can now get back to this being something like a ratio game where there are 25 pieces of evidence vs. 1 piece of evidence. Whatever trips your trigger.

The evidence belongs here by the drone of the claim pointed out above, dormant thread or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:05 AM   #2105
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even when I try and make a comment on a post of yours in a good natured way you still turn around and act like an idiot! I guess it shows who is who around here!

Where did I say I was making a final conclusion on the oil?! I said it "HELPS" to confirm the fact that the 10W60 is not a good choice for all climates. I wasn't saying this was proof beyond a doubt, all I was saying that the pieces fit of this puzzle fit together.
Keep up the BS ad hominem attacks. It does nothing for your credibility either. Your conclusions about the oil are exactly like those about a variety of other topics and sub-debates on related topics - complete knee jerk. See one thing, perhaps one time and viola - conclusion. All I am saying is just what I posted again above to regular guy, nothing more, nothing less.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #2106
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Whew, someone with at least a minuscule understanding of weak and strong evidence and how to draw conclusions. (No implication that you might not have also a huge understanding of such, just that others don't even have a tiny bit...).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:23 AM   #2107
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

It is worrying that there is another example of an engine that may have been contaminated in assembly. Wonder if this one was plastic too.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 01:01 AM   #2108
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Wow the reading comprehension (lack thereof) is simply astounding.
This isn't a subject you can win swamp. You want an intellectual workout. That's they only reason you have posted here. I intend to deprive you of it (at least from me).

Quote:
Again... the only point of adding this information here is due to the near continual drone in this thread and others that "this must be a very serious problem and widespread because every set of bearings for which we have photos of show abnormally high bearing wear".
Nobody has updated this thread, except you. There is no drone, except for yours.

Quote:
This is a single isolated piece of evidence that now shows that claim not to be true. I suppose we can now get back to this being something like a ratio game where there are 25 pieces of evidence vs. 1 piece of evidence. Whatever trips your trigger.
So why didn't you post the information about the two bearing failures that recently cropped up in Australia? If you're only intent was to equalize the drone of claims, then that should have been a prime target of yours. Yet once again, you selectively chose to ignore anything that doesn't fit your agenda. Hmm.

Quote:
The evidence belongs here by the drone of the claim pointed out above, dormant thread or not.
I look forward to your next post to include the two Australia motors that blew due to bearing failures. I agree, those belong right here too to equalize the drone of people who said no such failures have ever occurred.

Last edited by regular guy; 05-13-2014 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 02:12 AM   #2109
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This isn't a subject you can win swamp.
I already have.

Quote:
You want an intellectual workout. That's they only reason you have posted here. I intend to deprive you of it (at least from me).
Hmmm, yet you go on and on and on. Unreal. Your contradictory nature is about as bad as your reading comprehension. Perhaps not though, as this sure isn't much on an intellectual workout...

The post very much belongs here, get over it. What happened to your "I just post the data" knight in shining armor character?

Quote:
Nobody has updated this thread, except you. There is no drone, except for yours.
The thread is full of drone, no perhaps not recently but what the hell does recency matter?

Quote:
So why didn't you post the information about the two bearing failures that recently cropped up in Australia? If you're only intent was to equalize the drone of claims, then that should have been a prime target of yours. Yet once again, you selectively chose to ignore anything that doesn't fit your agenda. Hmm.
Sure that can go here. Seems better to place it in the thread with the database of failures by SFP. It really adds to the huge list indicating the universality of the problem. Heck 2 motors is about a 10% increase, that's huge

Quote:
I agree, those belong right here too to equalize the drone of people who said no such failures have ever occurred.
WTF, really WTF. Who has claimed that there has been no bearing related failures. That is so completely out of left field.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #2110
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Interesting new news found on the S85 M5 side of things, bmw started using 702/703 bearings in MY2009 M5's and continued on MY2010 cars.. Six 2009 s85 m5 engines that were opened up by Troy Jeup on M5board had 702/703 bearings. Those around late-mid 2008 built cars started getting these newer bearings.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...-feedback.html

Makes an interesting read.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 05-13-2014 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #2111
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants
Quote:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...-feedback.html" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.m5board.c...dback.html</a>" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...k.html</a></a>" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...ml</a></a></a>

Makes an interesting read.
I skimmed through it but seems like it worked out at the end? Not sure.. But people seem to love and hate him.. Either way, he seems to know his stuff for the s85 engine and the pics/facts about it are interesting.. No one else seems to know more about them, if you look at the link i posted last..
Man that thread is crazy, his business practice is out of control!
      05-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #2112
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Man, I just read through about the last 10 pages and what a mess.