BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

03-24-2024, 11:16 PM   #1
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

GT4 style lips affect of aero performance

Probably overthinking this one, but I'm moving from a GTS style lip to a GT4 V2 front lip. I already have PFC big brake kit and do not need cooling on the front so I would not plan on running the cooling tubes.

Would there be any issues with running the lip not connected to the brake ducts or would be better to block them off internally and not let any air go into the car from the lip?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 09:39 AM   #2
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

My guess is you'll probably be fine, but if you're doing the GT4 lip, might as well run the ducts. It's not that hard nor super expensive: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316897 -granted this is for modifying the regular under tray/splash guards, but the DIY process is very similar.

I would be more concerned about how that front splitter change interacts with the spoiler or lack thereof. From a quick image search, it looks like the later E92 M3 GT4s used the GTS wing in conjunction with the GT4 splitter.

Unless you're not tracking or just going easy, then you can just go for it. IMO, I wouldn't do it if I wasn't going to run brake ducts, that's what this piece is designed for. If you already have the GTS lip, that should be fine. All personal opinion there though.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:19 AM   #3
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

The GT4 splitter will do some work, but don't expect much.

depending on who you buy the GT4 lip from, you might need to trim your ducts as it might be too long, you'll need to cut your undertray felt if you still have those... Pinnacle motorsports makes a good one that works with the GT4 lip also.

If your strictly tracking run the ducts, but i don't think it's required...if you have the option...as this one is a bit expensive id get the ductless Bimmerworld one.

Personally, I think the GT4 V2 doesn't do anything since they cut it shorter, but hey, at least it's street car friendly. I like the much longer GT4 V1 as it will act more like a splitter. Those extra 2 inches, I think, do wonders. (that's what she said)

If you are going to pair it, then the much wider and larger GT4 V2 wing would be ideal for "street/track", or the M235/240IR wing.

For something more track-oriented, the APR GT250, or ideally the Bimmerworld LW rear wing.

the wider GT4 V2 wing.
Attached Images

Last edited by omgzirra_exe; 03-25-2024 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 2
Cmassey3416.50
      03-25-2024, 12:56 PM   #4
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
The GT4 splitter will do some work, but don't expect much.

depending on who you buy the GT4 lip from, you might need to trim your ducts as it might be too long, you'll need to cut your undertray felt if you still have those... Pinnacle motorsports makes a good one that works with the GT4 lip also.

If your strictly tracking run the ducts, but i don't think it's required...if you have the option...as this one is a bit expensive id get the ductless Bimmerworld one.

Personally, I think the GT4 V2 doesn't do anything since they cut it shorter, but hey, at least it's street car friendly. I like the much longer GT4 V1 as it will act more like a splitter. Those extra 2 inches, I think, do wonders. (that's what she said)

If you are going to pair it, then the much wider and larger GT4 V2 wing would be ideal for "street/track", or the M235/240IR wing.

For something more track-oriented, the APR GT250, or ideally the Bimmerworld LW rear wing.

the wider GT4 V2 wing.
Now I'm curious about the GTS vs various GT4 variations of aero kit. I know the ran the first ones with no areo, but I don't know much about the evo updates. If that's even what they were called.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:44 PM   #5
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

GT4 lip and GT4 Mk2 wing is a subtle but effective combo. I don't recommend pairing any larger wing with the GT4 lip, as you're just asking for understeer.

The BimmerWorld ductless lip is definitely the largest and most rigid of the bunch, but it is mega expensive and I believe has a good wait time with it. Brake ducts really aren't needed unless you're running endurance or trying to keep stock brakes cool. The ducts also remove effectiveness of the aero.

We will be releasing a full front splitter kit, matched to the Verus wing, soon, but this will definitely be more for track and performance than aesthetics like the GT4 aero.
Appreciate 6
tsk941522.00
Cmassey3416.50
JobanM73.50