BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Wink General Question on the ///M3 Odometer / Speedometer

I have a rant regarding our nice ///M car

I don't know why BMW ships the ///M car to e US with both Miles and Kilometres on the Odometer / Speedometer. (see photo below of the US model)

When it comes to cars delivered to Canada we only get the Kilometres on the Odometer / Speedometer.

What do you think the reason is ...

A) The Canadian Government has a law as to KM only?

B) The folks at BMW think we Canadians are good in mathematics and can figure it out?

C) The folks at BMW think we Canadians never travel south of our border for we love the snow so much?

D) The folks at BMW know that Americans like to visit Canada and enjoy our open spaces?

E) The folks at BMW simply forgot that we Canadians also love to travel south?

F) The folks at BMW don't know or have not been told that Canada has changed to Metric years ago?

What do you know or have heard what the reason is for this oversight?

Up to this point I've quickly converted the number when traveling in the US in my ///M3 ... So that I can concentrate more on the traffic in future I shall take this handy Odometer / Speedometer printout along
Attached Images

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I'll tell you what the problem is...you canucks need to drop the metric and come over to the imperial side.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Good question. It is likely due to the fact that most countries, including mother Deutschland, us Km, so they give it as an extra to the minority to countries that us MPH, figuring the countries in the majority don't need it.
      01-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

does it depend on if you storm troop your M3?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
does it depend on if you storm troop your M3?
Don't know what you mean, however, love your new signature quote

Quote:
I'll tell you what the problem is...you canucks need to drop the metric and come over to the imperial side.

Actually /// Until the 1970s, Canada traditionally used the imperial system of measurement units, labelled as "Canadian units of measurements" under Schedule II, Section 4 of the Weights and Measures Act.

Perhaps you did not know this

BTW. There is a way to make your pictures smaller, if you need help just ask this old German / Canucks

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d

I think mdosu is partially correct. Most countries have already converted to metric, but the US hasn't converted yet.

The US, however, has committed to convert in a loosely open time frame. That's why in the US all containers/packages have to have the metric measurement in addition to the local imperial measures - check and you will find. The same happens to the speedometer in all cars in the US.

I assume all cars in the US have both, but I have been driving only BMWs since 2007, so can't confirm, but I am sure many forum members can.

Converted countries don't need anything other than metric. I wonder what does it look like in the UK.

Royale with cheese anyone?
      01-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE_M3 View Post
Good question. It is likely due to the fact that most countries, including mother Deutschland, us Km, so they give it as an extra to the minority to countries that us MPH, figuring the countries in the majority don't need it.
^THIS..

TBH I never seem to look at the Km/h on the speedos ..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Machine View Post
I think mdosu is partially correct. Most countries have already converted to metric, but the US hasn't converted yet.

The US, however, has committed to convert in a loosely open time frame. That's why in the US all containers/packages have to have the metric measurement in addition to the local imperial measures - check and you will find. The same happens to the speedometer in all cars in the US.

I assume all cars in the US have both, but I have been driving only BMWs since 2007, so can't confirm, but I am sure many forum members can.

Converted countries don't need anything other than metric. I wonder what does it look like in the UK.

You make very good points ... I do recall in the 70s there have been great debates also that the US would shortly follow to go metric. As we now know it has not happened as far as road signs are concerned ...

I don;t think it will happen anytime soon anyway for it will be quite costly for the US to change all those speed signs. Unless approval is given to paint over the existing ones as was done in Canada in some areas (see photo below)

As for the UK I cannot recall (I was in the UK last fall) have to ask my son in law ... or perhaps a UK member can clarify I think it is still in MPH.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Machine View Post

there's also a difference between certain Imperial units and US units of measure, mostly volume related.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post

Up to this point I've quickly converted the number when traveling in the US in my ///M3 ... So that I can concentrate more on the traffic in future I shall take this handy Odometer / Speedometer printout along

In the i-drive, there's a conversion to all imperial units (US Standard). Then all digital readouts (like the electronic speedo) will read in MPH. But all navigation, temperature readings will all be in US standard units.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrica..._United_States
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

You're obviously not an engineer huh?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
I'm thinking the United Kingdom has both...because they're schizophrenic also on the metric/English system: They use miles per hour and miles on the roads...but metric Centigrade for air temperature.

And their cars can be chunnelled *-across to Europe.

We've been hearing about the USA converting to metric for thirty years. Blah blah blah. It'll only happen by Executive Order because the population won't vote for it.

(* not sure if that's a word, but it should be)

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!

Last edited by VMcV3y; 01-09-2013 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu

I personally think your contributions are invaluable to this thread, keep em coming... Hogshead
      01-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT

Complexity is beautiful...It's because the speedometer looks cooler with more sht on it. A speedometer with big spaces between the lines/numbers would look stupid and old fashion.

Look at all the extra stuff on wrist watches. If it doesn't have a bunch of stuff you don't need, it doesn't look cool.

There is extra bs you don't need everywhere, especially with cars to make them look cool. Most cars with spoilers are slower and less fuel efficient for it...freakin morons. Thats why I drive this stock M3. It's not made of bs, it's functional and well engineered.

Also, I imagine someone could try and blame bmw for driving too fast in Canada because they were driving 110 mph in a 110 km zone. BMW saved time in court and reduced their liability.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

I'm fine using the digital conversion, and I prefer our analog speedometer sans MPH; makes it less cluttered.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #17
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I am sure it is some sort of a DOT requirement for US to have both.....

Some GM cars only have one reading and you can easily change miles to km's through the options menu and your selection lights up....(rental car discovery). BMW should of thought about that....

When you come down south you can easily change your digital speedometer to miles.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #18
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Quote:

LOL

M3RD - I'll trade you gauge clusters, so all your friends think you're cool for having the US piece, and my friends will think I'm "so Euro". What say ye?

P.S. Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #19
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

I tend to use the digital speedo more than the analog anyway. It's nice that we have both (digital and analog). Is there a way your digital can display in mph? Can't that be adjusted through iDrive (assuming you have iDrive)?

As an "enginerd," I love the metric system. It make perfect sense and is super easy to use. None of this 12 into 1, or 16 into 1 crap.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #20
Skunk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Petition to the White House to change to the Metric system.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ystem/FndsKXLh
      01-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoM3 View Post
LOL

M3RD - I'll trade you gauge clusters, so all your friends think you're cool for having the US piece, and my friends will think I'm "so Euro". What say ye?

P.S. Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Thanks but no thanks on the cluster ... I'll convert in my head or use the iDrive solution also have an old TomTom that would give me miles ...

that would be ---> Quart de livre avec fromage

or see pic below
Attached Images

Appreciate 0