BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

05-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

HELP: Where is the USB hub?

Gents,

Alright, this is crazy...my m3 has been in the shop for two days now. It was diagnosed with a faulty USB hub last week when I had it in for a map update. The dealer ordered the part, and I took it back on Wednesday to have the USB hub replaced. I got a call from the tech on Wednesday night that he couldn't figure out where the USB hub was located. He checked the install instructions (which say it is in the driver's side footwell inlay), but could not locate it. He ended up searching the trunk, and beneath both seats...still no luck.

Apparently he put in a request for information from BMW, but they all have their heads in their butts, so nobody is responding (either that or the dealer is feeding me a line of BS, but I don't really get that feeling). He searched underneath the rear seats and the center console today. Basically, the interior of my car is totally taken apart searching for this dumb little USB hub.

Does somebody have an actual picture of the USB hub? I am not talking about the USB port. I'm talking about the part #1 in the diagram. It is enclosed in the bracket somewhere in the car. I have already looked on e90post.com, and I saw that one person mentioned that it is behind the radio. I'm hoping somebody here can lead me to the answer, as the search that I have conducted has not yielded any results.

I've worked with this dealership before, and their staff is competent...so I don't think that is a factor here. The department's SA Team Leader has been working on this himself, but he and everybody else is just scratching their head in confusion...

I've also seen the USB retrofit instructions posted by BMW, but the USB hub is not in the drivers footwell inlay as it says, so no need to mention that as a reference.

Thanks for the help!!
Attached Images

05-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The MULF-Hi (USB hub) is located under the Assist TCU in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The MULF-Hi (USB hub) is located under the Assist TCU in the trunk.
Thanks Technic...I wasn't sure that the MULF-Hi was the same thing as the USB hub. I guess if I would have known that it would have been easy to figure out from the thread I read on E90post.

Appreciate the help!
      05-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Thanks Technic...I wasn't sure that the MULF-Hi was the same thing as the USB hub. I guess if I would have known that it would have been easy to figure out from the thread I read on E90post.

Appreciate the help!

One of the components of the MULF-Hi is the USB hub:
Quote:
USB hub

The USB hub is not fitted in all model series. The USB hub coordinates the linked USB devices.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=15

In the USA it seems that the USB hub is always part of the MULF-Hi in the 3-Series. The technician should have known this by just doing a seach for USB hub in his BMWTIS.com site.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

One of the components of the MULF-Hi is the USB hub:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=15

In the USA it seems that the USB hub is always part of the MULF-Hi in the 3-Series. The technician should have known this by just doing a seach for USB hub in his BMWTIS.com site.
They are telling me now that 09 models don't have the USB hub (but then why does real OEM show it as a component?). Anyway, he said that the USB hub is integrated into the CIC. They are going to either replace the CIC or replace the USB port (or both). WTF.
      05-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
They are telling me now that 09 models don't have the USB hub (but then why does real OEM show it as a component?). Anyway, he said that the USB hub is integrated into the CIC. They are going to either replace the CIC or replace the USB port (or both). WTF.
... I don't think that that tech in that dealership is competent at all. One thing is talking about the USB hub (as in the 6FL option, still offered in 2009) and one thing is talking about the USB port (as in loading/back up the iDrive CIC HDD).

Just let them do what they need and don't try to "help" them... it seems that you are "confusing" them with technical facts.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... I don't think that that tech in that dealership is competent at all. One thing is talking about the USB hub (as in the 6FL option, still offered in 2009) and one thing is talking about the USB port (as in loading/back up the iDrive CIC HDD).

Just let them do what they need and don't try to "help" them... it seems that you are "confusing" them with technical facts.
Good advice...I'm staying out of it. I told them to order whatever parts they need and put my car back together so I can pick it up on Monday. And then I'll just make another appointment once they figure out exactly what needs to be done...

Why are these things so difficult for BMW? Shouldn't there be a Bible-like reference material for SAs?
      05-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good advice...I'm staying out of it. I told them to order whatever parts they need and put my car back together so I can pick it up on Monday. And then I'll just make another appointment once they figure out exactly what needs to be done...

Why are these things so difficult for BMW? Shouldn't there be a Bible-like reference material for SAs?
I've been harshly told by a SA that I'm not supposed to tell them or to the tech what I think is wrong in my car when I request warranty service.

That's their job and not mine, he said.

I just stood up and left that dealership right there.

Techs or SA don't want to be called monkeys, but then they behave and act like monkeys. They do have all the access that they need and want to OEM technical bulletins, service documents, installation procedures -with pictures like coloring books!!- and still they don't want to use them.

It is kind of late for a tech to waste virtually a whole day of troubleshooting looking for a part and its location that he doesn't even know what the correct nomenclature is. MY2009 cars has been out since Oct/Nov with the new iDrive/CIC, plenty of documentation was already available from BMW about the technical aspects of this CIC/iDrive in their system for months... even in the Internet for everybody to see.

Two days to find out that what he's looking for is not an USB hub, still insist that there is no USB hub with the 6FL, and still don't know that there are 2 distinct USB connections in the car is too much ignorance to handle by a customer...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:

Every now and then I look at the monthly training materials that BMW distributes to their dealers by internet (posted to the same site as the TIS bulletins) and they give me a sense of how narrowly many of the techs seem to view their job, or at least the part where they should be learning about the technology/equipment they work on. BMW tries all of these incentives (like Amex card giveaways) to have the techs report common issues that are cropping up with new models for example. Its a good idea but it tells me that there is an issue -- a divide if you will -- between the techs in the field and the BMW HQs types. That said, I have tried to engage some of the more technically minded BMW Hqs types and they had the same condescending attitude.

How did it turn out with the map update by the way? Did they do it properly (hopefully free)?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
Every now and then I look at the monthly training materials that BMW distributes to their dealers by internet (posted to the same site as the TIS bulletins) and they give me a sense of how narrowly many of the techs seem to view their job, or at least the part where they should be learning about the technology/equipment they work on. BMW tries all of these incentives (like Amex card giveaways) to have the techs report common issues that are cropping up with new models for example. Its a good idea but it tells me that there is an issue -- a divide if you will -- between the techs in the field and the BMW HQs types. That said, I have tried to engage some of the more technically minded BMW Hqs types and they had the same condescending attitude.

How did it turn out with the map update by the way? Did they do it properly (hopefully free)?

Well, after 7 days in the shop, they finally fixed the USB hub problem. They called in Angela Lansbury to solve the Murder She Wrote mystery of the missing USB hub, and the tech finally got somebody from BMW to explain that the USB hub for '09 vehicles is part of the CIC, not underneath the TCU like earlier models. I don't know who to point my middle finger at, because either BMW is failing to provide accurate information to SAs, or SAs are incapable of accessing BMW's database. There is a huge breakdown in the system here. Why don't the part location and installation instructions immediately pop up on the system when they type in the part number?

They were so consumed with fixing the USB issue that they didn't configure my BMW Assist, so now it looks like I'll be headed back again for that service. Wonderful.

/rant

@E90M3CDFR, I ended up paying, but KLS processed a refund check for me (I'm waiting for it in the mail). I can't thank you enough for putting me in touch with her. She should be BMW NA's new president.
      05-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Well, after 7 days in the shop, they finally fixed the USB hub problem. They called in Angela Lansbury to solve the Murder She Wrote mystery of the missing USB hub, and the tech finally got somebody from BMW to explain that the USB hub for '09 vehicles is part of the CIC, not underneath the TCU like earlier models. I don't know who to point my middle finger at, because either BMW is failing to provide accurate information to SAs, or SAs are incapable of accessing BMW's database. There is a huge breakdown in the system here. Why don't the part location and installation instructions immediately pop up on the system when they type in the part number?

They were so consumed with fixing the USB issue that they didn't configure my BMW Assist, so now it looks like I'll be headed back again for that service. Wonderful.

/rant

@E90M3CDFR, I ended up paying, but KLS processed a refund check for me (I'm waiting for it in the mail). I can't thank you enough for putting me in touch with her. She should be BMW NA's new president.
And still they explained that wrong... there is still an USB hub under the TCU in the MY2009: it is called the iPod/USB adapter or 6FL.

At least you got one thing solved and another new thing to be solved... could have been two things messed up.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #12
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:

/rant

Glad that she could help, I agree she should be promoted to the top...

BMW have a huge disconnect with their dealers on these high-tech systems (Audi is the same from my personal experience). If BMW put a couple of their HQS techs on some of these boards, they would learn a lot about the issues that seem to trip up the dealers. Certainly the existing comms they have between dealers and BMW HQS don't seem to function very well.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes with the BMW Assist activation at the dealer as well , since I'll probably be going through that routine in a couple of years. After they activate the BMW Assist, could you check out the service menu and see if any of the info changed? Also, did they load the latest U.S. maps on your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
I've been harshly told by a SA that I'm not supposed to tell them or to the tech what I think is wrong in my car when I request warranty service.

That's their job and not mine, he said.

I just stood up and left that dealership right there.

Techs or SA don't want to be called monkeys, but then they behave and act like monkeys. They do have all the access that they need and want to OEM technical bulletins, service documents, installation procedures -with pictures like coloring books!!- and still they don't want to use them.

It is kind of late for a tech to waste virtually a whole day of troubleshooting looking for a part and its location that he doesn't even know what the correct nomenclature is. MY2009 cars has been out since Oct/Nov with the new iDrive/CIC, plenty of documentation was already available from BMW about the technical aspects of this CIC/iDrive in their system for months... even in the Internet for everybody to see.

Two days to find out that what he's looking for is not an USB hub, still insist that there is no USB hub with the 6FL, and still don't know that there are 2 distinct USB connections in the car is too much ignorance to handle by a customer...
Ok... your first problem is that you THINK you know what you're talking about.

You think BMW tells techs where every module is in every car?
Every wiring diagram for all the cars?
All test plans work for fault codes?

Hell most of the time the tester doesn't even give you description of the fault code.

Its not easy to fix these cars in the first place and when you are fighting the diagnosis software doesn't make it any easier. Once again... you THINK you know.
      12-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrev View Post
Ok... your first problem is that you THINK you know what you're talking about.

You think BMW tells techs where every module is in every car?
Every wiring diagram for all the cars?
All test plans work for fault codes?

Hell most of the time the tester doesn't even give you description of the fault code.

Its not easy to fix these cars in the first place and when you are fighting the diagnosis software doesn't make it any easier. Once again... you THINK you know.
That's a hell of a way of defending a BMW tech.

Let's say that when I was in the Army I had to know where all the modules were located in my electronic equipment so I can fix them under battlefield conditions. So it is natural for me to expect just 10% of that responsibility from a dealer tech, and I'm being reasonable.

We are talking about competence, you either have it or you don't. That's the reason I only go to one particular dealership with this particular shop foreman, the only one out of 5 local dealerships that when he explains something I listen to him. This is the only BMW tech that I know that when I asked for help to somehow work with Assist to allow my iDrive to receive MyInfo -although this is a MY2008- he just made it happen.

That's what I expect from a BMW tech and unfortunately this is the exception and not the rule.

Sorry to hurt your feelings.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Actually, let me correct myself... the USB hub is to the left of the front driver's seat under the carpet. I just took a look at the BMW documentation...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
Wasteland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Space Gray E92 M3

Bringing this thread back up for some help. Im looking for the USB hub. Patryk told me it was under the driver's seat, and the last post verified that but i just flipped up the carpet and under the foam was nothing. Im baffled can someone post a picture of this beast?

Im supposed to do this, "You need to find this hub and move the cable with the white connector to the BLUE port (you will need to trim the cable connector slightly)." - Patryk

here's some reference pics:

Reference from Patryk -

no hub

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasteland View Post
Bringing this thread back up for some help. Im looking for the USB hub. Patryk told me it was under the driver's seat, and the last post verified that but i just flipped up the carpet and under the foam was nothing. Im baffled can someone post a picture of this beast?

Im supposed to do this, "You need to find this hub and move the cable with the white connector to the BLUE port (you will need to trim the cable connector slightly)." - Patryk

here's some reference pics:

Reference from Patryk -

no hub

Apparently your car does not have the USB Hub.
You can proceed with the installation skipping that step
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
SingleturboVert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Apparently your car does not have the USB Hub.
You can proceed with the installation skipping that step
Very sorry to rez this thread. But how do I know if I have a USB hub without tearing into my car? Is there an option combination that would tell me this?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #19
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
If your car had a tcu, a center USB port, and a cradle, there is likely a hub.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0