BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #89
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
What would you guys suggest as performance winter tire for the M3?
There's a sticky thread about this. I made it Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin and Pirelli all offer some good options. Feel free to browse the thread, or even call me if you like.
      01-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #90
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
What would you guys suggest as performance winter tire for the M3?
Omaha. I would say Dunlop Winter Sport M3.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #91
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
My car has been totaled. The final decision came down when they realized my engine had damage (engine is 30k). Hopefully I'll be in an 09 soon and next time i'll be more careful in the cold

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #92
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Yikes! Although really that's probably for the best at this point. If it was that badly cracked, you are probably going to be happier in a new one. Glad you are OK even if the car is not.
      02-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #93
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

I'm really sorry to hear that - but not entirely surprised. I first drove on ps2's in 2006, when I got my cayman. Before then my summer tire experiences were limited to bridgestone re040's, regular old pilot sports and some dunlop 9090 or sth... None of these tires are as temperature sensitive as the ps2. That first winter, on a 40F day, the little croc had some solid sideways action just turning out of the garage. I was totally stunned and posted everywhere I could.. They really need heat in them.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #94
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'm really sorry to hear that - but not entirely surprised. I first drove on ps2's in 2006, when I got my cayman. Before then my summer tire experiences were limited to bridgestone re040's, regular old pilot sports and some dunlop 9090 or sth... None of these tires are as temperature sensitive as the ps2. That first winter, on a 40F day, the little croc had some solid sideways action just turning out of the garage. I was totally stunned and posted everywhere I could.. They really need heat in them.
I've driven mine all winter down to and below freezing with no issues. You need to adjust your driving style, but it's not like they suddenly throw you off the road. Great tire.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #95
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I've driven mine all winter down to and below freezing with no issues. You need to adjust your driving style, but it's not like they suddenly throw you off the road. Great tire.
+1
      03-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #96
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

For use in temps in the mid 40's,nothing will come close to the Bridgestone RE-O1R's in size 19. They warm up quickly and run about 8 degrees higher that PS2's.

If I was running 18's and lived in Diamond Bar,my choice of tire would be Dunlop Star Spec Direzza Z1.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #97
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

I am sorry man but how do you wreck your car and blame it on the tires. Just recently the DC metro area had about 2 inches of ice and snow and I was able to make it home on my PS2's. I would not recommend it obviously but it was something not forcasted. Not the best idea honestly but even below freezing these tires still have plenty of grip for normal driving. I got through DC and and drove through MD and got stuck on my steep driveway here's two pics:

So Ben next winter I'll be calling you for a set of all seasons, it only snows once in DC so winters are not necessary.
      03-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #98
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Yes you adjust your driving style from summer to winter, but you can still get bitten by the PS2s in cold, dry temps. I've said it all along - it's a gamble. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. It has nothing to do with how good a driver you may *think* you are. It's physics and the tire compound. But people are people......they don't get it until they experience it. What did you want the guy to do coming out of his garage? Adjust his drving style how?

Another post....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #99
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

Yeah, not a biggie but I think urbo got my point exactly. Having had no ps2 experience before, how am I supposed to know they are THAT temperature sensitive in my first 40F day with them? My then-garage had a hard left exit, and the back came out a foot or so when I made the turn moderately aggressively (so the sideways comment was a bit exaggerated)...

I was not even close to having an accident or even a moment so-to-speak, but I was a little surprised by the tires and wary from then on. They like heat far more than ps1's/re040's and dunlop 9000's. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #100
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Perhaps my response to GregW above was a bit "passionate" - no "harm" intended. It was meant more as a warning to many I've seen that have been bitten by the PS2s. I've had many posts on this topic, no need to rehash it too much. The thing is that it IS a gamble driving with them. And it's very difficult getting heat in them in daily winter driving. As such, they are a bad choice - wet OR dry - when the temp is cold. The fact that some have gotten away with them is not indicative of much. It's odds. You can drive slow and have them shudder, etc. It depends on the air pressure, etc. Many things. I for one do not trust them, and I know I'm more than a decent driver. Why take a chance? A good example is braking distance. You could be driving more carefully, etc., but what if you have to brake all of the sudden because some idiot in front of you did something? Not uncommon at all. Well, the PS2's braking distance is a LOT longer when the temps are cold. So? It's many different scenarios like this. It's not just about the car getting sideways, oversteer, etc. It's more complicated, some are lucky, and then say the tire is OK in the cold. It's not.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #101
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Sorry about your car Mr Harris. Glad you are OK.

I really don't understand why some folks here try to rationalize the use of PS2s in cold weather. It's just not a good idea, period. The tire wasn't designed for that type of use. Using them in cold weather would significantly increase the chances of losing control. That doesn't mean one will lose control for sure, but the chances are simply significantly higher, especially during an emergency move. What if someone cuts in front of you, or runs a red light, and you need to get on the brakes or change direction rapidly?

Urbo, I saw a silver sedan in Washington square on Friday. Was that you?
      03-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #102
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Sorry about your car Mr Harris. Glad you are OK.

I really don't understand why some folks here try to rationalize the use of PS2s in cold weather. It's just not a good idea, period. The tire wasn't designed for that type of use. Using them in cold weather would significantly increase the chances of losing control. That doesn't mean one will lose control for sure, but the chances are simply significantly higher, especially during an emergency move. What if someone cuts in front of you, or runs a red light, and you need to get on the brakes or change direction rapidly?

Urbo, I saw a silver sedan in Washington square on Friday. Was that you?
It may have been. I come home from work down Beacon all the way to Dean Rd. If it was a DIRTY AS HELL E90, then for sure it was me Send me a PM - we should have the Boston GTG at some point. It's a good thing I didn't bother to clean my car Friday in the garage at work. Look at tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #103
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
It may have been. I come home from work down Beacon all the way to Dean Rd. If it was a DIRTY AS HELL E90, then for sure it was me Send me a PM - we should have the Boston GTG at some point. It's a good thing I didn't bother to clean my car Friday in the garage at work. Look at tomorrow!
You should have seen my car parked on the side (I was coming out of Athen's). I'm in deep stealth mode--nobody can recognize that it is an M3. It's just pointless to try to keep it clean during the winter. We should get some folks together later this month after things clear up...
      03-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #104
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Agree that the PS2's are dicey when it is cold. My M3 has been mostly in the garage. However, got a couple of nasty rock chips when I was out. Lot's of reasons to stay out of the snow in Boston with an M3.

I would also be in for a get together.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #105
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here is another forum member getting caught with PS2s (or some other non-winter tire) in bad weather (sleet). He was simply driving on the highway at 60 mph:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...04#post4605304